Jemele Hill: Brett should keep things quiet

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Web Page Name

Just read it, it's got some good points, imo.

Packers don't owe Favre anything
By Jemele Hill
Page 2

A friend of mine came up with a great nickname for a certain Super Bowl quarterback in Green Bay, who I think perfected the free pass, not just the zip pass.

"Brat" Favre is what we've begun to call the dwindling diva, because he is again showing in the offseason why he's a member of the Susan Lucci drama club, along with Terrell Owens and Curt Schilling.

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
If you're Brett Favre, putting yourself on a pedestal
is so easy a caveman could do it.Mr. 47 Interceptions over the past two seasons -- including a hard-to-top 29 in 2005 -- is in the news because he's unhappy the Packers didn't get Randy Moss, and depending on whom you believe, he may or may not have asked for a trade after the draft.

Most Packers fans seem to believe Favre has earned the "right" to complain and tell his employers how they should run the team, even though his annual should-I-stay-or-should-I-go tango is partly to blame for the Packers' current malady.

First, let's deal with this concept that athletes have certain "rights" -- a subject that has come up quite a bit lately because of Favre and Roger Clemens, who supposedly has earned the "right" to skip spring training, play half a season, not travel with his teammates and act as if he's the only baseball player juggling a family.

Contrary to what most athletes believe, they aren't owed a thing. Yet for some perplexing reason, many of them seem to think their "rights" should supersede everything else.

Favre isn't owed any more championships than he's already won. Donovan McNabb isn't owed an explanation from the Eagles because they drafted a quarterback. Pacman Jones isn't owed due process from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Packers' philosophy seems to center around building a solid defense through the draft -- which is exactly what they should be doing. They have surrounded Favre with a lot of young talent on offense and rightly expect their 17-year veteran to nurture and build that talent.

I can't feel sorry for Favre because it's not like he didn't know the Packers needed to rebuild. If he didn't want to go through that, he should have either retired or asked for a trade instead of picking a passive-aggressive fight through the media.

Harry How/Getty Images
It's clear to us that Favre is looking out for No. 1.Besides, he is partly to blame for his predicament. Maybe Favre would have another offensive weapon if he hadn't sabotaged former receiver Javon Walker during his contract squabbles with the Packers. Favre called Walker out instead of being supportive -- by the way, notice how Tom Brady tried to pressure the Patriots to pay Deion Branch -- and Walker took his services elsewhere. Of course, it was easy for Favre to suggest Walker was being greedy when Favre is sitting on a $100-million contract.

It's not the first time Brat has inserted his self-righteous opinion where it doesn't belong. Remember what he said during the Packers' tense contract situation with cornerback Mike McKenzie?

"He should be here, we expect him to here and the Packers have the upper hand," Favre said at the time. "He says he wants to be traded and all that stuff, but they don't have to do that. When paycheck time starts coming around and you're not getting one, it's amazing how quickly you start waking up."

Oh, I get it. Favre is the only one who can voice displeasure with the organization. For someone who says he's all about the team, Brat sure finds a way to air feelings that should be kept in-house.

Unfortunately, most Packer fans can't see past Favre's yesteryears to notice their beloved QB has become just as adept at undermining the franchise as he is throwing into triple coverage.

If Packers fans were ready to accept the truth, they would see that not much separates Favre from other selfish athletes. Nobody called Moss a diehard competitor when he was critical of Oakland, yet that's how Favre's comments about Green Bay have been framed. At least Moss manned up and asked for a trade instead of playing a shell game with the media.

T.O. is a lot of things (many of them bad), but I can only imagine the reaction had he treated his minicamp like Favre, who is skipping the Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend because it would interfere would his social calendar.

"They were going to have me sit out anyway," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald. "To be honest, we have [daughter] Brittany graduating in two weeks. Instead of going up there and not doing anything, I will be better off being at home because of graduation parties and banquets."

Let me guess, he's earned the right to do that, too. Wish he'd exercise his right to be quiet.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Daughters graduation preparation is a social gathering?

He does make some good points, but he really leaves out a lot of other things too.

Who you are BEFORE you skip minicamp makes a big difference on how its treated. You can't compare what would have happened if it was TO or Moss or Brett because each has handled themselves differently.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The alternate side.... I think I will take the side of someone that has been there vs. someone that is trying to get them to read their babble.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=605987

According to Steve Young, the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre are working on different agendas: Favre wants to win tomorrow and the Packers are building to win beyond tomorrow.

Young made his comments Tuesday afternoon on ESPN Radio.

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback said Favre was not being selfish or putting himself above the team for expressing frustration about not getting help to make Packers a championship contender before he retires.

"He's a made man," Young said of Favre. "In a way he's like Jerry Rice, who many times would complain and moan. But because he works so hard and has accomplished so much that instead of being selfish, was (perceived as) all I want to do is win. . . . In that way he is a little bit protected."

Young said the Packers started retooling two years ago and "were moving on" to build for the future.

"As an organization, I think they are fundamentally looking to build a championship football team, not necessarily building a team for tomorrow to help Brett Favre win a championship," Young said. "So those two things don't meet. It's not against anybody. It's just that they are not going to meet. When I found that out with the 49ers in 2000, I retired. If we weren't going to go for a championship, I was at an age where that's not what I wanted to do. Brett decided differently, like Jerry Rice."

Perhaps clear communication about these matters has not taken place between Favre and the Packers.

"(Favre) is one of the best players in professional football history," Young said. "It's his career. If he is going to stick around and he has done so much for his team, it's not selfish to say, 'Look, I want help, if we are going to go for a championship.' Or the Packers need to say, 'We are not playing for championships; we are building a team over a period of time.' They do this little dance step where neither of them says what they really mean. Unfortunately, it's put them in a little bit of a jam with each other and that's why I think Brett reacted.

"I think he thought, 'Look, I'll come back. We had a nice finish to the season. We get a couple of nice pieces, including Randy Moss, look, we can win it.' I know what Brett's thinking. 'I can sneak one in and leave like John Elway on the horse. Leave and be a champion. But I need a couple of weapons.' When they let it pass and they didn't get him . . . I think it left him empty."

The two sides are looking at winning in different ways.

"To me the Packers are doing what they think is best," Young said. "Totally fine. Brett is doing what he hoped would be best. That's fine. There has been some miscommunication or some expectations that weren't met. That's the reaction. I think you are in a tough spot with a Hall of Fame football player playing late into his 30s and the team is thinking, 'We are a long way from a championship and we will do something different.' Philosophically they are in different places. They are going to have some rough patches."

Better of arms race
Boomer Esiason of CBS-TV said the New England Patriots had done for Tom Brady what the Packers had failed to do for Favre: give the quarterback better weapons to win a championship now.

"From a guy who used to sit in a seat quite like his I can understand his frustrations," Esiason told Sirius NFL Radio, referring Favre's comments last weekend. "The older you get the more help you need around you. It's not that they don't have good young players in Green Bay. There's just no sizzle…

"The unfortunate thing for him is that he's a thoroughbred - now, he's rounding that final turn - but he takes a look and sees what New England is doing for Tom Brady. And look at New England and how they went out and they've actually this off-season tried to get their thoroughbred some really good players to play around him because Tom Brady has been playing with less-than-stellar players at the wide receiver position."

Esiason said Favre was "going to have to fight through another hard year in Green Bay because they just don't look like a team that's going to be able to make the playoffs."

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He does make some good points, but he really leaves out a lot of other things too.

Who you are BEFORE you skip minicamp makes a big difference on how its treated. You can't compare what would have happened if it was TO or Moss or Brett because each has handled themselves differently.

Ummmm Jemele is a girl's name. Jemele is a SHE. lol

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

And your point? I could careless who he/she is. I read the article without worrying about the writes sex.

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Zero2Cool said:

And your point? I could careless who he/she is. I read the article without worrying about the writes sex.

My point is exactly what I said. The writer's a chick.

I wote 'lol' because I made the same assumption as yourself, that it was a dude, probably because most sports writers are men. I did the same exact thing until I saw a picture of the writer.

Its no big deal, I was just clearing it up, giving the ladies credit where lady-credit is due.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Good call. The ladies do need the credit for this article. How the heck do you even say that name? I think I'd jus call her Jamie.

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good call. The ladies do need the credit for this article. How the heck do you even say that name? I think I'd jus call her Jamie.

If she was in boxing, they might use the last half to call her "Melee"? As in, a brawl or large out of control broo-haha...

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really have no idea how to say it, actually.

Whatever. ESPN are all eastcoast homers/Brett Favre haters. Screw em all!!!!

end sarcasm.

EDIT: I don't know how to spell east. Sorry.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I really have no idea how to say it, actually.

Whatever. ESPN are all westcoast homers/Brett Favre haters. Screw em all!!!!

end sarcasm.

what does "pack in black" mean any way?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Somehow this is funny...right?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would call her "Gee Mee Lee!"
What does she look like, anyway?

Never mind.....i looked it up myself.
She's got a pretty smile!

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Zero2Cool said:

Somehow this is funny...right?

Maybe this will help you...

pack_in_black said:
I wrote 'lol' because I made the same assumption as yourself, that it was a dude, probably because most sports writers are men. I did the same exact thing until I saw a picture of the writer.

Its no big deal, I was just clearing it up, giving the ladies credit where lady-credit is due.

Get it now?

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jemele Hill annoys the **** out of me because she seriously references Favre in every damn article she writes. It's always some snide little comment about how he "holds the team hostage" blah blah blah.

She needs to get some damn new material. I wrote her an e-mail a while back about a disagreement I had with her article. It was about Favre's comments months ago. She said that he's obviously just trying to cause enough trouble so the Packers will trade him. She BELIEVES that, vehemently. I told her that there is little evidence to support that, and that she seems to just genuinely not like the guy and look for faults.

Like I said... she needs to get some new material.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the 2 points of view.

I have trouble comparing NE getting Moss to help Brady, with GB not getting Moss to help Favre. NE was a strong playoff team last year, and may really be 1 player away. Brady has a number of years left to play and is still at the top of his game.

I see NE about where GB was in 98 or 99. At that point it would have made more sense to give Favre the weapons for a SB shot. At this point, adding Moss would maybe make them a playoff team again, but would certainly not have potential SB impact.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jemele Hill annoys the **** out of me because she seriously references Favre in every damn article she writes. It's always some snide little comment about how he "holds the team hostage" blah blah blah.

She needs to get some damn new material. I wrote her an e-mail a while back about a disagreement I had with her article. It was about Favre's comments months ago. She said that he's obviously just trying to cause enough trouble so the Packers will trade him. She BELIEVES that, vehemently. I told her that there is little evidence to support that, and that she seems to just genuinely not like the guy and look for faults.

Yeah, she wrote an article a while back about how Kobe is better than Jordan. Being a Bulls fan, I had obvious disagreements, as did many other fans who looked at the situation. It seems that many of her articles are for shock value. I am not her biggest fan either, evad.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:

Yeah, she wrote an article a while back about how Kobe is better than Jordan. Being a Bulls fan, I had obvious disagreements, as did many other fans who looked at the situation. It seems that many of her articles are for shock value. I am not her biggest fan either, evad.
It's disappointing to see these types of articles. There is no shortage of possibilities or subjects to cover in an article... but there's a market for contentious and cynical monologues (usually from non-athletes who are super critical). It's annoying.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:

She really said that? I know Kobe is good......but better then Jordan? In my opinion, NO WAY.
Some people just don't like Favre. Maybe she's a Viking fan! (That would be good reason to hate Favre, right?)

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....Some people just don't like Favre. Maybe she's a Viking fan! (That would be good reason to hate Favre, right?)

Ted Thompson doesn't want Favre, does that mean he's a Viking Fan too? :razz:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
....Some people just don't like Favre. Maybe she's a Viking fan! (That would be good reason to hate Favre, right?)

Ted Thompson doesn't want Favre, does that mean he's a Viking Fan too? :razz:
First...........I was WAITING for your reply on this! I KNEW my comment would bring you to this thread!!!LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:
Second.........maybe Ted IS!!! :rotflmao:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts