1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jemele Hill: Brett should keep things quiet

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by pack_in_black, May 16, 2007.

1. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Web Page Name

Just read it, it's got some good points, imo.

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Daughters graduation preparation is a social gathering?

He does make some good points, but he really leaves out a lot of other things too.

Who you are BEFORE you skip minicamp makes a big difference on how its treated. You can't compare what would have happened if it was TO or Moss or Brett because each has handled themselves differently.

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    The alternate side.... I think I will take the side of someone that has been there vs. someone that is trying to get them to read their babble.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=605987

According to Steve Young, the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre are working on different agendas: Favre wants to win tomorrow and the Packers are building to win beyond tomorrow.

Young made his comments Tuesday afternoon on ESPN Radio.

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback said Favre was not being selfish or putting himself above the team for expressing frustration about not getting help to make Packers a championship contender before he retires.

"He's a made man," Young said of Favre. "In a way he's like Jerry Rice, who many times would complain and moan. But because he works so hard and has accomplished so much that instead of being selfish, was (perceived as) all I want to do is win. . . . In that way he is a little bit protected."

Young said the Packers started retooling two years ago and "were moving on" to build for the future.

"As an organization, I think they are fundamentally looking to build a championship football team, not necessarily building a team for tomorrow to help Brett Favre win a championship," Young said. "So those two things don't meet. It's not against anybody. It's just that they are not going to meet. When I found that out with the 49ers in 2000, I retired. If we weren't going to go for a championship, I was at an age where that's not what I wanted to do. Brett decided differently, like Jerry Rice."

Perhaps clear communication about these matters has not taken place between Favre and the Packers.

"(Favre) is one of the best players in professional football history," Young said. "It's his career. If he is going to stick around and he has done so much for his team, it's not selfish to say, 'Look, I want help, if we are going to go for a championship.' Or the Packers need to say, 'We are not playing for championships; we are building a team over a period of time.' They do this little dance step where neither of them says what they really mean. Unfortunately, it's put them in a little bit of a jam with each other and that's why I think Brett reacted.

"I think he thought, 'Look, I'll come back. We had a nice finish to the season. We get a couple of nice pieces, including Randy Moss, look, we can win it.' I know what Brett's thinking. 'I can sneak one in and leave like John Elway on the horse. Leave and be a champion. But I need a couple of weapons.' When they let it pass and they didn't get him . . . I think it left him empty."

The two sides are looking at winning in different ways.

"To me the Packers are doing what they think is best," Young said. "Totally fine. Brett is doing what he hoped would be best. That's fine. There has been some miscommunication or some expectations that weren't met. That's the reaction. I think you are in a tough spot with a Hall of Fame football player playing late into his 30s and the team is thinking, 'We are a long way from a championship and we will do something different.' Philosophically they are in different places. They are going to have some rough patches."

Better of arms race
    Boomer Esiason of CBS-TV said the New England Patriots had done for Tom Brady what the Packers had failed to do for Favre: give the quarterback better weapons to win a championship now.

"From a guy who used to sit in a seat quite like his I can understand his frustrations," Esiason told Sirius NFL Radio, referring Favre's comments last weekend. "The older you get the more help you need around you. It's not that they don't have good young players in Green Bay. There's just no sizzle…

"The unfortunate thing for him is that he's a thoroughbred - now, he's rounding that final turn - but he takes a look and sees what New England is doing for Tom Brady. And look at New England and how they went out and they've actually this off-season tried to get their thoroughbred some really good players to play around him because Tom Brady has been playing with less-than-stellar players at the wide receiver position."

Esiason said Favre was "going to have to fight through another hard year in Green Bay because they just don't look like a team that's going to be able to make the playoffs."

4. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ummmm Jemele is a girl's name. Jemele is a SHE. lol

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    And your point? I could careless who he/she is. I read the article without worrying about the writes sex.

6. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My point is exactly what I said. The writer's a chick.

I wote 'lol' because I made the same assumption as yourself, that it was a dude, probably because most sports writers are men. I did the same exact thing until I saw a picture of the writer.

Its no big deal, I was just clearing it up, giving the ladies credit where lady-credit is due.

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Good call. The ladies do need the credit for this article. How the heck do you even say that name? I think I'd jus call her Jamie.

8. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If she was in boxing, they might use the last half to call her "Melee"? As in, a brawl or large out of control broo-haha...

9. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I really have no idea how to say it, actually.

Whatever. ESPN are all eastcoast homers/Brett Favre haters. Screw em all!!!!

end sarcasm.

EDIT: I don't know how to spell east. Sorry.

10. Cal2GreenBay

Cal2GreenBay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    what does "pack in black" mean any way?

11. Cal2GreenBay

Cal2GreenBay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Somehow this is funny...right?

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I would call her "Gee Mee Lee!"
    What does she look like, anyway?

Never mind.....i looked it up myself.
    She's got a pretty smile!

13. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Ever hear of AC/DC?

14. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Maybe this will help you...

Get it now?

15. evad04

evad04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jemele Hill annoys the **** out of me because she seriously references Favre in every damn article she writes. It's always some snide little comment about how he "holds the team hostage" blah blah blah.

She needs to get some damn new material. I wrote her an e-mail a while back about a disagreement I had with her article. It was about Favre's comments months ago. She said that he's obviously just trying to cause enough trouble so the Packers will trade him. She BELIEVES that, vehemently. I told her that there is little evidence to support that, and that she seems to just genuinely not like the guy and look for faults.

Like I said... she needs to get some new material.

16. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the 2 points of view.

I have trouble comparing NE getting Moss to help Brady, with GB not getting Moss to help Favre. NE was a strong playoff team last year, and may really be 1 player away. Brady has a number of years left to play and is still at the top of his game.

I see NE about where GB was in 98 or 99. At that point it would have made more sense to give Favre the weapons for a SB shot. At this point, adding Moss would maybe make them a playoff team again, but would certainly not have potential SB impact.

17. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    yeah i agree

18. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Does Favre think by doing this, he will change Ted's ideas???

19. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thread like this are going to come back to haunt some people when the Packers are winning this fall.

20. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, she wrote an article a while back about how Kobe is better than Jordan. Being a Bulls fan, I had obvious disagreements, as did many other fans who looked at the situation. It seems that many of her articles are for shock value. I am not her biggest fan either, evad.

21. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    You might not be a fan of hers, but her goal has been reached. She has people talking about her articles.

22. evad04

evad04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's disappointing to see these types of articles. There is no shortage of possibilities or subjects to cover in an article... but there's a market for contentious and cynical monologues (usually from non-athletes who are super critical). It's annoying.

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    She really said that? I know Kobe is good......but better then Jordan? In my opinion, NO WAY.
    Some people just don't like Favre. Maybe she's a Viking fan! (That would be good reason to hate Favre, right?)

24. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ted Thompson doesn't want Favre, does that mean he's a Viking Fan too? :razz:

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    First...........I was WAITING for your reply on this! I KNEW my comment would bring you to this thread!!!LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:
    Second.........maybe Ted IS!!! :rotflmao: