Javon Walker Sold His House

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Borges, of the Boston Globe, reports the Green Bay Packers opened their offseason workout program without unhappy WR Javon Walker, who put his house up for sale in Green Bay the day after the workouts began and enlisted the help of his parents to clean it out. Walker claims he'd rather retire than play a fifth season for the Packers. Green Bay is insisting it will not trade him.

^^ From KFFL

lol the help of his parents lol

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think he's bluffing...

1. He wants his money.. Sitting out another year means he wouldn't get his pay day either.

2. IF he comes back by Week 10 he won't have the numbers to get his big pay day so once again he'll miss out..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#2 is a good point Porky. I didn't think of that. I thought he might hold out till then, but your right, he'd be hurting himself in the long run.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:

1. He wants his money.. Sitting out another year means he wouldn't get his pay day either.

2. IF he comes back by Week 10 he won't have the numbers to get his big pay day so once again he'll miss out..

I have to disagree. If he shows up at week 10 and finishes with promise like he did in 2003 teams will be very interested. She's shown at the end of 2003 he was going to be special and 2004 he showed it. If he can show he is back to his form even for only six games it could be very beneficial for him.

Also I do believe his injury takes 1-2 years to fully heal so if he does skip ten games it could work in his favor for the long term rather than coming back and doing subpar for the first half of the season.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't really want to get intothe old "what's good for the goose" argument but I can't believe that the owners didn't stick to their guns regarding malcontents. Perhaps the NFLPA stuck their ground or the owners were just hell-bent on getting a deal done. At any rate, the text below demonstrates that TT will have an even more difficult time dealing with Walker than MS did with McKenzie:

"One of the most overlooked aspects of the new CBA is that it's much tougher for teams to discipline players. Clubs can no longer T.O. a player: suspend and deactivate him for recalcitrant behavior. Now, if a player quits the NFL or skips a substantial amount of the season, a club can't automatically seize his bonus. Instead, the team must -- get this -- release him and provide an opportunity to find another club. Then the old club may attempt to recoup a portion of the bonus."

Since a team can't deactivate a player, I suppose a player can sit and collect a paycheck without even reporting. I can see this situation spinning out of control.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackFaninBucLand said:
Don't really want to get intothe old "what's good for the goose" argument but I can't believe that the owners didn't stick to their guns regarding malcontents. Perhaps the NFLPA stuck their ground or the owners were just hell-bent on getting a deal done. At any rate, the text below demonstrates that TT will have an even more difficult time dealing with Walker than MS did with McKenzie:

"One of the most overlooked aspects of the new CBA is that it's much tougher for teams to discipline players. Clubs can no longer T.O. a player: suspend and deactivate him for recalcitrant behavior. Now, if a player quits the NFL or skips a substantial amount of the season, a club can't automatically seize his bonus. Instead, the team must -- get this -- release him and provide an opportunity to find another club. Then the old club may attempt to recoup a portion of the bonus."

Since a team can't deactivate a player, I suppose a player can sit and collect a paycheck without even reporting. I can see this situation spinning out of control.

Packers want Javon on the field. It's Javon who doesn't want to be on the field as a Packer.

Even if Javon is activated he won't (assuming he holds his ground) come to the games anyway.

The new CBA really doesn't help Javon at all. Javon has zero leverage. None. He has a contract. The situation is controlled very easily. He either playrs or he doesnt. It is his choice. I haven't heard that the Packers want to punish Javon at all. All I hear is they hope he fully recovers an they see him in their uniform on Sunday. Just like Wolf said, stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away. As naive as that may sound, i think that is the best method here.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson clearly has to send a message to Walker. He's been nothing but a pain in the !@#$ since Thompson got here. Honestly, I'd call him up and lay it on the line and let him know that if he doesn't come to the camps he's not going to play ever. The system may not be fair to players, but it's the system that they have to work with. They make a lot of money to play this game, but this kid doesn't seem to have any respect for ethics. He is bound by his contract. Thompson will make a big mistake if he trades him. Anyone in the future who wants out of GB will do exactly what Walker did. I mean it worked for McKenzie.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am starting to think that we should never let Walker leave Green Bay. If he wants to only play the minimum games next season, GB should then franchise tag his *** and then put it on Javon to sign a contract. We could do that for 2 years before he could make the break from the team. By that time, Javon is 30+ years old and his monster pay day may never come from another team.

This kind of action would send a major message to our players, and also to Green Bay's credibility among football circles. Of course the Packers would have to weather the storm of the Wrath of Michael Irvin, but I don't think we would perish.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dakota T: Your suggested course of action would definitely send a "major message" to our players, but what would that message be? That the Packer management will bury anyone who threatens to hold out? I don't think this would make Green Bay a very attractive place to play in.

Revenge fantasies are fun, but there will come a point where it is better to part ways with Walker than to hold him hostage.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Dakota T: Your suggested course of action would definitely send a "major message" to our players, but what would that message be? That the Packer management will bury anyone who threatens to hold out? I don't think this would make Green Bay a very attractive place to play in.

Revenge fantasies are fun, but there will come a point where it is better to part ways with Walker than to hold him hostage.

Why would we want players who want to hold out? Lets be LESS attractive to those players.

I'd rather the Packers be known for burying players who want to hold rather than a team that once a player gets their ******* in a bunch we succumb to their wish an let them go.

We need to be solid stable franchise. No hold out babies wanted.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

I have to disagree. If he shows up at week 10 and finishes with promise like he did in 2003 teams will be very interested. She's shown at the end of 2003 he was going to be special and 2004 he showed it. If he can show he is back to his form even for only six games it could be very beneficial for him.

Also I do believe his injury takes 1-2 years to fully heal so if he does skip ten games it could work in his favor for the long term rather than coming back and doing subpar for the first half of the season.

Going to be tough to finally show up to work by week 10 and get into football shape and play well...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Going to be tough to finally show up to work by week 10 and get into football shape and play well...

That's for sure. Hopefully he jus bucks up and plays and plays well right out of the gates.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg,

Why should the Packers appease this player. He has been nothing but greedy since his break out season. He is the one that wanted the longer rookie contract with more guaranteed money. The Packers have every right to keep him under raps.

The biggest reason I don't want him traded is because we will not get value back for him. I would rather let him rot than trade him for anything less than a high second rounder. He is coming off an injury, what would his trade value be? We used a 1st and 2nd rounder for him and got 1 all pro season in return. I don't think Javon Walker is the one being compromised in this whole situation.

We were lucky that the McKenzie trade ended up turning into Nick Collins or else that would have been another colossal mistake.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
PackFaninBucLand said:

Packers want Javon on the field. It's Javon who doesn't want to be on the field as a Packer.

Even if Javon is activated he won't (assuming he holds his ground) come to the games anyway.

The new CBA really doesn't help Javon at all. Javon has zero leverage. None. He has a contract. The situation is controlled very easily. He either playrs or he doesnt. It is his choice. I haven't heard that the Packers want to punish Javon at all. All I hear is they hope he fully recovers an they see him in their uniform on Sunday. Just like Wolf said, stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away. As naive as that may sound, i think that is the best method here.

The new CBA actually does help Javon more than the old one did. Javon can come in in week 10 or 11 and get a full years service. If he chooses to, he can do this the next two seasons and become an unrestricted free agent. The players put in the CBA that teams can't punish players the way T.O. was in Philly last season. If Javon took this route it would be very difficult for the Packers to do anything.

Now having said this, he would be an idiot to do this. He probably wouldn't get what he is looking for since he will have played about 10 games in 3 years.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let him retire, and the Packers will hold his contract for the rest of his life. He can have fun playing in the CFL. If he ever wants to come back to the NFL he will be a Green Bay Packer!!

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
You all have no idea of the level this guy can reach. GB needs to do whatever they can to keep him around.

:twisted: We certainly do, but I for one sincerely hope he reaches his potential elsewhere. One would think that after seeing what a malcontent can do to a team one would hope for the Pack to get whatever they can out of the situation. One man does not make a team, but certainly is capable of destroying the team. And with what Javon has said and shown besides being substantially damaged goods it's best to let him ride off into whatever vision he has for himself. He could learn from Mr. Ahman Green who at least is already well on his way to a full recovery.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
The week 10 to get full year of service was in the previous CBA as well.

Yea but you could suspend him with no pay for detrimental conduct. It is much harder to do that now. I'm surprised you didn't know that :shock:
Apparently you haven't read the new CBA.

Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:

Yea but you could suspend him with no pay for detrimental conduct. It is much harder to do that now. I'm surprised you didn't know that :shock:

Much harder? Try Impossible. The new CBA is VERY player friendly, and it has specific language that makes suspending a player, a la TO, a no-no. So if Javon does come and is a distraction like McKenzie was, the Packers are stuck.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:

Much harder? Try Impossible. The new CBA is VERY player friendly, and it has specific language that makes suspending a player, a la TO, a no-no. So if Javon does come and is a distraction like McKenzie was, the Packers are stuck.

:twisted: You can always paly him and make sure he gets no balls thrown his way but that's counter-productive to GB.

Latest posts