Tyni's Final Stand Pat Mock Draft

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I've done plenty of mocks...here is what I'm going to tag as my final mock where we stand pat with the picks we have. FTR I find us sitting still the entire draft VERY UNLIKELY. I envision at minimum Gute will move up in the 3rd or 4th as I find the most depth is there at spots.

That said here it is:

First Round #30 - Denzel Mims, WR (Baylor)....this pick has endless options and directions we could head. In the end we snag a player I think is 50/50 odds to make it to #30. He is quick, tall, attacks the ball, above average hands and route tree while not one of the best in the draft is nearly in that grouping IMO. We instantly upgrade the WR corps and it is not unlikely Mims walks into production opposite Adams with Rodgers slinging the rock. Other Options: Reagor, Aiyuk, an OT, AJ Terrel or Trevon Diggs, Kmet

Second Round #62 - Bryce Hall, CB (Virginia)...fits everything GB typically is attracted to in a CB and with the future VERY thin we snag who I feel should become the heir apparent to King's role. If it hadn't been for his ankle injury his senior year (no long term worry) he would not be available I think at #62. Other Options: Shenault, Malik Harrison, Niang, Claypool, Trautman

Third Round #94 - Ben Bartch, OT (St. John)...his Senior Bowl performance changed my mind on him from a 4th/5th round unknown given his small school history. Dude performed and shined against higher level production. While he isn't one of the top Tier1 OTs of the draft there is plenty high on his future as a starter in the NFL, and rightfully so. The blessing to set and be mentored by Wagner will help his learning curve greatly. Other Options: Van Jefferson, Dye, Pride Jr

Fourth Round #136 - Devin Duvernay, WR (Texas)...Devin is a shining example of where ones opinion can greatly change about a prospect the more you have to research and defend why so critical of someone. I used to think all he was, was a burner with a limited route tree. This cat shines in YAC, grit and fearless mentality. Yes, he can fly and sure his route tree isn't as good as one would like...but we don't have anything like him presently on the roster (closest I guess is MVS...but he is not a YAC dude). Is #136 early for him...possibly...does he add a dimension we have been missing if he is what I sense, ABSOLUTELY!

Fifth Round #175 - Mykal Walker, LB (Fresno St)...Pettine loves guys like this. Experienced lining up inside and end of LOS. It is true coverage isn't where he excels, but IMO his footwork is there and his quickness is impressive. He won't win a foot race for 20/30 yards...but his quickness and agility should be able to cover backs and TE's easily within those first 10/15 yards.

Sixth Round #192 - Reggie Robinson II CB (Tulsa)...a standout CB from Tulsa with the measurables and flashes to excel as a outside corner in the league. Not a dire need, but I would love to roll a late round dice on this project of a CB some are falling in love with...so he may not be here as he was went from many saying undrafted to being seen on boards more and more.

Sixth Round #208 - Darius Anderson, RB (TCU)...An intriguing back whose burst, competitive nature and playmaking abilities will catch anyone's eye watching his tape. His promise as a pass catcher out of the backfield is one of his more attractive traits.

Sixth Round #209 - Trevis Gipson, EDGE (Tulsa)...just realized I double dipped from Tulsa...probably not a good sign LOL. Gipson has physical reach and frame of what you would want in an edge player in today's NFL...his hips are solid but needs work on his punch and separation if he can succeed.

Seventh Round #236 - Gage Cervenka, iOL (Clemson)...VERY experienced at the interior positions against solid competition. STRONG is his biggest trait with the Clemson bench record set in 2019 with 44 reps at 225lb. Easily could be the future at Center if Patrick doesn't pan out 2021 onward.

Seventh Round #242 - John Penisini, iDL (Utah)...I cannot leave a draft without grabbing a big man in the trenches...and Penisini is just that. BIG. He has next to zero pass rushing skills and is NOT someone you want out there on known passing downs, but he can and would instantly serve as a run stuffer which is something we desperately could use. Sure he could go undrafted, but I'd rather make sure he is in Green Bay.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna disagree with you on Hall. He does not fit what GB wants in a CB.

Honestly, and this is a little simplistic, but if you want to pick Josh Jackson again, take Bryce Hall. He either needs to play in off and zone almost all the time, or get moved to safety. He's good, but he's not a fit.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really good mock.
Mims is a beast when going up for contested catches and has great speed and change of direction if he makes it to 30 he'd be home run pick.

I also really like the Ben Bartch, Reggie Robinson II and Darius Anderson picks.

I watched last years TCU vs Purdue game in order to see some tape on Niang and Anderson really stuck out.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly, and this is a little simplistic, but if you want to pick Josh Jackson again, take Bryce Hall. He either needs to play in off and zone almost all the time, or get moved to safety. He's good, but he's not a fit.

We won't be able to come together there. I don't see that. IF we draft him, let's hope I'm right and you're wrong...if we don't, let's hope you're right and there are no regrets. :)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't be able to come together there. I don't see that. IF we draft him, let's hope I'm right and you're wrong...if we don't, let's hope you're right and there are no regrets. :)

All he's ever played is zone! Stiff hips. Good, but not great speed. He just screams zone only CB to me.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All he's ever played is zone! Stiff hips. Good, but not great speed. He just screams zone only CB to me.

While zone is what he is accustomed to, I don't see the stiff hips. I liken his hips to his speed which I agree 100% with you on. They're good, not great. Personally I think he will surprise some folks and am high on him.

Now I'll be honest if one went say OT there at our second pick with a Niang type pick...that 3rd rounder very well may have landed on Troy Pride Jr....which is another CB I believe has serious potential.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only Hall is a concern. He has the attitude and smarts, but will physical limitations restrict his play? He will be one of those players that may drop a bunch of spots because he didnt probe himself during a pro day.

Good write ups. Like what you did with the WR position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record I knew when I hit post, Hall would raise some eyebrows - which is fully understandable. I'm standing behind what I sense I see in him however...I could be UTTERLY wrong and the arguable "gamble" at that pick could be one I'd regret if I were a GM.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would hope a good coach would take the players and put them in the best position to succeed. Bryce is very much a press-zone corner but if the team has two of those (Jackson and Hall) then I'm sure Gute could figure out how to play some additional zone in the secondary. Again though, this would only be if Gute decides he is by far the best option at corner (and overall) at that point. Troy Pride might be a better option for the Packers in the late second, trade down to early third.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope a good coach would take the players and put them in the best position to succeed. Bryce is very much a press-zone corner but if the team has two of those (Jackson and Hall) then I'm sure Gute could figure out how to play some additional zone in the secondary. Again though, this would only be if Gute decides he is by far the best option at corner (and overall) at that point. Troy Pride might be a better option for the Packers in the late second, trade down to early third.

Gute doesn't call plays. Gute doesn't decide scheme. If he is wants the team to play more zone, tell LaFleur to fire Pettine.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute doesn't call plays. Gute doesn't decide scheme. If he is wants the team to play more zone, tell LaFleur to fire Pettine.

I would believe the Gute was a mistype. I know it won't change your opinion of whether Bryce is a good call or not, but I don't for a second believe Sunshine really thinks Gute calls plays.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For myself-- I want no part of Hall.

Spending high draft capital on a zone corner and then hoping that he will be able to play man is a good way to blow a draft pick. They tried that with Josh Jackson. At least in his case, we all knew that he had the athletic traits to do it if the technique could get there. We don't even have that assurance with Hall.

So he's not for me, for that reason.

LOVE the Mims/Duvernay combination. That's exactly the type of thing I'd love to see.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOVE the Mims/Duvernay combination. That's exactly the type of thing I'd love to see.

Forget where we discussed but you listed two groups of receivers to be had over the first 4 or so rounds and stated you would love one from each, and I 100% am on board with you. If I could find it I'd post it here. It was SPOT on.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see the Packers double dip at WR with one more traditional outside WR (Mims, Pittman, Edwards, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Davis) and one guy with YAC skills (Aiyuk, Reagor, Gibson, Duvernay, Reed).

This one ^^ It is not possible to agree more.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Gute thinks a player is really good, then a good coach will find a way to maximize that player (if possible). Not every coach can be Belichick, but organizations should certainly be trying to find those guys. Again, as I said, if the guy is MARKEDLY better then take the better guy. If it's close, then obviously chose the guy you think would be easier to fit into your current scheme.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gute thinks a player is really good, then a good coach will find a way to maximize that player (if possible). Not every coach can be Belichick, but organizations should certainly be trying to find those guys. Again, as I said, if the guy is MARKEDLY better then take the better guy. If it's close, then obviously chose the guy you think would be easier to fit into your current scheme.

Again, Gute does not decide scheme or plays. That ain't his job.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Belichick is notorious for having one of the shortest draft boards in the NFL specifically because he won't draft guys that don't fit what he wants to do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick is notorious for having one of the shortest draft boards in the NFL specifically because he won't draft guys that don't fit what he wants to do.

I mean, okay, but he does tend to alter his gameplan's to best fit his player's abilities. Maybe he's just really good at drafting guys.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I mean, okay, but he does tend to alter his gameplan's to best fit his player's abilities. Maybe he's just really good at drafting guys.

He selects guys in the draft or in FA or via trade that do exactly what he wants, and then only asks them to do whatever that is. He does not just draft/sign the most talented and try to make it all work together.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the mock, I don't particularly like Duvernay. That's just me. I've actually taken Duvernay off my list altogether (see the WR thread). I didn't dig deep into this class CBs so no comment on Hall but per CB prospects I've looked I like Arnette, Terrell and Jaylon Johnson.

I was critical of Ben Bartch, like who is this nobody from DIII.., is he here at the Senior Bowl to make the others look good? Boyy I was so wrong. Bartch made guys like Terrell Lewis & Zuniga look like chumps. I'm all aboard the Bartch train. TAKE HIM.

Last time we took a first round WR.. Javon Walker happened. Walker had the potential until he got a big head. Mims has that potential and the size we are looking for. Mims also has that experience playing the outside position and has shown he can thrive, that others don't. Love the pick.

Members online

Latest posts