Javon Walker plans to sit out minicamp

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taken from StarTribune.com

Meanwhile, wide receiver Javon Walker will hold out of the Packers' minicamp, which begins today, according to several reports. Walker, who switched to agent Drew Rosenhaus this offseason, is reportedly unhappy with his contract.

To me this spells trouble. Drew Rosenhaus just seems like bad news to me. Does anyone have info on how much Walker actually makes?

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just horrible to hear. With the cap situation we're currently in, I can't belive he's even doing this. I know he deserves a new contract, but he should wait until next year before he starts this. Well, there's NO WAY we can go without Walker in my opinion. He's the guy we have to keep.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
sorry guys, i'm not getting paid enough, dont worry my agent will settle before training camp

hahaha...

seriously though, i never figured Javon for a hold-out guy. Drew is a f#@king scumbag of an agent.

and yes we're kinda screwed without him next year, rookie draft picks or not. but i honestly don't see how we can fatten up his contract right now.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe some guaranteed big money for the next few years, while leaving this year's salary, cap number unaffected? Can signing bonus money be deferred to a later year?

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to an interview which was with Javon Walker. he said he wants his money now, not later. He doesn't like the money he is making under his present contract. Remember who is Walker's new agent- Drew Rosenhaus. Drew is T.O. of Eagles new agent. Same results . T.O. is unhappy with money under his present contract. T.O. wants more money immediately. Drew is Mike McKenzie new agent. All kinds of problems between Mike & G.B. And Mike is in now in New Orleans. All teams have problems with players Drew Rosenhaus represents. They expect to have them when Drew is involved .

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon Walker has two years left on his contract he signed as a rookie in 2002. This year his salary is $515,000 and in 2006 his salary is $615,000. Javon feels his outperformed that deal after going to the pro bowl last season ( is that written in Javon's contract?? I seriously doubt it!! )Walker is obligated to take part beginning Friday, even if he skips the voluntary practices Wednesday and Thursday , If he doesn't attend, the Packers can fine him up to $1,000 a day under rules set by collective-bargaining agreement. Wow! one grand a day. cheap pocket change for NFL player!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
seriously though, i never figured Javon for a hold-out guy. Drew is a f#@king scumbag of an agent..
Unless you are a player, then he's a godsend.

He does deserve more money, but he signed that contract. I wouldn't mind these players wanting more money and giving it to them if once their skills began to diminish they took pay cuts easily to help the team, but rarely do any of do such a thing.

I think I'm gonna tell my boss I'm gonna hold out next week, lets see what happens.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is getting really old Walker had one good year and already wants more money. I wonder percentage wise how many of Rosenthaus' clients are holding out he is one bad dude.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think drew signs on and strokes the ego of all these guys about how underpaid they are so tht he can get his piece of all these new deals.

sure javon deserves more than that, but you play out your contract and get rewarded when you re-sign.

i'm sure barnett isn't making what he should be but he's not being a little *****.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
i think drew signs on and strokes the ego of all these guys about how underpaid they are so tht he can get his piece of all these new deals.
That's my theory. Part of this is motivated by Drew so he can get a nice slice of the pie for negotiating the deals.

sixone220 said:
sure javon deserves more than that, but you play out your contract and get rewarded when you re-sign.
Exactly. Tom Brady wasn't *****ing about his contract and he was the lowest paid QB in the league when he took his team to those super bowls.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
sixone220 said:
That's my theory. Part of this is motivated by Drew so he can get a nice slice of the pie for negotiating the deals.

sixone220 said:
Exactly. Tom Brady wasn't *****ing about his contract and he was the lowest paid QB in the league when he took his team to those super bowls.

Yep and Yep.

Agents are ******** over the league, but hey atleast Player A is getting 3million more

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn - another good point given... the Tom Brady comment is DEAD ON!
I've already posted several comments on other boards today about little Javon!

My real focus is on this angle....

Did Javon Walker seek out Drew Rosenhaus (for completely obvious reasons)

?????????????? - OR - ????????????

Did Drew Rosenhaus call Javon Walker after having watched him have a pretty marvelous season with the Packers?

You guys followin' me here....?

New Webster Dictionary Definition -----

Drew Rosenhaus - Team Killer

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't the movie Jerry Macquire based on a true story? If so, I think Drew Rosenhaus is Bob Sugar (Jay Mohr's character).

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Isn't the movie Jerry Macquire based on a true story? If so, I think Drew Rosenhaus is Bob Sugar (Jay Mohr's character).

yeah! total douchbag...

Drew has about 90 clients...i wonder what percentage have held out at some point? seems like half have at least threatened before getting new ink.

Javon deserves way more money, but this isn't the way to do it...stay away from the darkside Darth Walker.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3d- if the Packers redo a contract with 2 years left on it. All players who think they are underpaid (which is probably everyone of them,) will have their agents lining up at the door of Ted Thompson to redo their contracts also. The Packers just don't have enough money under the salary cap to do this, and will not backload the Players contracts to mortgage the future. It will get the Packers into what they call "Cap Hell!" Like the 49ers, Cowboys Etc Etc. So they have a policy of not redoing players contracts, and salary increase will have to come when a new contract is negotiated, in Javon's Walker's case in two years. I don't think, the Packers will change their policy for any player on their roster. A player signs a Packer contract, the team expect him to fullfill it. Mike McKenzie found out when he wanted to be the best paid corner in the league like now!! He is in New Orleans, with a franchise that has never won a N.F.L. Championship (or Super Bowl) in it's history. Some 40 plus years!! And Mike already wants the Saints to redo his contract, so he gets the big bucks he wants.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with Pat Kirwan on NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8423804

Holding out for more money is not the answer

Pat Kirwan By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(April 27, 2005) -- I have read just about enough about players who refuse to come in and work out in the offseason, about guys who get traded and want a new deal before they ever do anything for their new team (nice first impression), star players who feel they are grossly under paid even though they cashed checks for upward of $10 million dollars over the past year or so and teammates who support their teammates in their struggles for more money.

There's no reason to mention names at this point, but it's probably a good time to point out how things work. For the front-office executives and head coaches who have to deal with players that threaten not to show up for work and hang their dirty laundry out to the media because they want new contracts and more money, I have a few suggestions:

1. Minicamps (except for three days all offseason) and offseason workouts aren't mandatory, so don't take the bait from the players when they miss these sessions. Make it clear that re-negotiating contracts is just as voluntary as the workouts, and for every day they decide to volunteer to stay home, you will elect to 'volunteer' not to negotiate for a month. Has anyone reminded our young friends that there is only one NFL and if they don't play in this league, they don't play at all? Unless, of course, they want to find out what it feels like in a minor league.

2. For every player who stays out of practice, there is another player who is hungry and ready to seize the opportunity. We just saw 255 rookies get drafted, another 160 undrafted rookies will be signed and there are 150 guys over in NFL Europe developing their skills and maybe 50 tough young men in the Arena League and Canada who would do just about anything for an opportunity in the only high-paying football league in the world. Someone out there is a star waiting to be discovered. That's over 600 potential players being injected into the system in addition to the young developing athletes already on rosters.

3. Does any 5-foot-9 receiver sitting at home insisting he deserves more money or a running back who had one good season really think their team can't win without them? I say stop worrying about these kinds of players. And I don't care what wide receiver thinks he's indispensable. The fact is, the talent pool at that position never dries up and it's more about the quality of the quarterback who delivers the ball. Dan Marino made a lot of average receivers look pretty good and Tom Brady hasn't done a bad job of it either.

4. As for the players that use the favorite cry of "The clubs don't honor the contract, so why should we?" there are reasons teams fire players and don't stand by the length of the contract -- the length of the contract was never a real length of term and the player knew it all along. The club was trying to give the player a bigger signing bonus up front and, in agreement with the agent, extended the deal to amortize the bonus over a longer period of time. I always told the player when he signed what the logic was behind the deal and most executives do the same. It is amazing how many players and agents conveniently forget that when the player is cut. Front-office people probably need to go on record when a deal is done by saying something like, "We just signed Player X to a six-year deal but it really is a three-year deal in which we had to spread the big signing bonus out to fit under our salary cap. The player understands the structure."

5. To the teammates that feel they must support their holdout buddies by standing by them and never expressing their frustration that the team isn't getting better in the offseason, do me a favor: Call me when you get fired and those same guys send you a check to keep food on the table in your house. Trust me, it will never happen.

6. To the athletes who elect to stop team activities and somehow your story makes it to the media and it is splashed all over the Internet and print, make sure you have someone fully explain the possible negative effects to you as well as the possible positives. Sure, you may get a new deal and the disappearing act you pulled during the offseason will seem worth it. But maybe you will not get a new deal and just maybe the team decides to dump you just as soon as they find a capable replacement.

NFL coaches have learned two critical things in the past few years that help them deal with all the contract volatility that has arisen. Most of the 32 head coaches keep smiling and, when pressed by the media, don't show any emotion or dissatisfaction about their holdout player. The player should not misconstrue the public behavior their coach shows as a sign he understands you are worth more money -- he's trained to not make a bad story worse by reacting emotionally to it. Trust me, in a very short period of time behind closed doors with his coaching staff, he is going to focus on replacing you. That is the nature of the beast. The old saying "Out of sight, out of mind" eventually replaces the anxiety of "What will we do without him?" If you don't think that is true, there are veterans getting released by the day now as teams secured cheaper, young talent in the draft. And when June 1 comes along, there will be even more talented players on the market. There will be options and I doubt any player crying for a new contract truly understands the economic or talent pressure that is upon them.

Finally, every coach and front-office executive I know wants to win, and if they have a player on their team that can get them to that goal, they will pay them, as was seen when the Bengals paid Rudi Johnson and the Patriots redid Corey Dillon's deal this offseason. But please don't think your team is going to open up a can of worms by being forced into renegotiating because you think you're the one guy they can't live without. There are very few players that ever make it to that category. As one very good retired NFL player said to me this morning, "No one put a gun on to their head and made them sign the deal they have now. Don't ever let the player force the renegotiation."

Personally, I really want to see players get all they can while they're talented enough to play in the NFL, and since 1992, salaries paid to the players have gone from $1 billion to more than $3 billion today. Is it a perfect system? No, but it's pretty darn good and it's the only one in town.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well said.

i'm starting to lose a lot of respect for bubba and javon.

think of the guys that would kill to just take one snap wearing the green and gold.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
i'm starting to lose a lot of respect for bubba and javon.

I'm not sure about Bubba, but Javon its been said he missed his flight and he's trying to hide his skiing injury. I know those are probable excuses and I'm stretching for them to be true because I like Javon, but I'm not gonna lose respect for him until he misses a game. I really think Javon is a good guy and is being bushwacked by the Team Chemistry Killer himself, Drew Rosenhaus.

If you recall Javon and T.O. worked out together last season, I'm willing to bet Drew was able to contact Javon and told him he deserves more money and la di da.

Javon does deserve a new contract, but holding out is not the way to go. He should bring it up to the man that takes care of it and handle it behind closed doors. <-- opinion only

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
think of the guys that would kill to just take one snap wearing the green and gold.
I would think there are a few left - even though ESPN spent a huge amount of time during the Draft scheduling all commercial breaks to occur right around the Packers turn in the Draft. And, even if they didn't do that - you weren't allowed to see who they picked like you would for just about any other Team - they purposely went with that protocol on both days... After the Rodgers pick (?) The four letter network treated the Packers like second hand white trash... and that's a political agenda to the fans, especially the younger fans... an indoctrination attitude....

Quite a few of the Forum posters over on PackerChatters were commenting the same thing... so I measured it and took count.... I could go out "on queue" to plan any little chore around the House I wanted... to when the Packers were having their turn.. sure enuf, ESPN goes to commercial - without fail

Point being - the Packers had a great heyday in the Nineties and even today you see tons of little tykes with the green No.4 jersey... but the numbers are dwindling - so in turn, it would figure that not nearly as many Players these days are chompin' at the bit to be Green Bay Packers.. not like there once was! I wish it were otherwise.. but reality is steppin in.

IF Bates gets in the backside of this Defense - the media will have a hard time shuttin out the Packers to the fans.. but right now, that's their agenda!

Members online

Latest posts