January 2round mock draft

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe some good positive changes have been made so far early in the offseason. It will be interesting to see what direction the new leadership takes this organization in 2018. There will be cuts, restructuring of contracts, draft combine, and free agency before the 2018 NFL draft. Team needs will change between now and the draft in April. If I was picking today with the current roster this is who I would choose.
1) Josh Jackson CB Iowa
Three year starter 6"1 200 long arms and is always around the ball. Very physical likes to play man which is the preference of the new DC. Put Jackson with a hopefully recovered King and Randall and I like this young and developing secondary.
2) Troy Fumagali TE Wisconsin
I really like Fumagali. 6"6 catches everything thrown his way. Oh and a bonus is a tremendous run blocker. I believe this offense lacks that middle of the field TE that can stretch the field and pick up 7 yards on a third and 6. Aaron Rodgers will appreciate this selection.

This would be my first two selections on this cold Wisconsin January day if the draft were held today. would love to hear your thoughts and your selections. Go Pack!

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe some good positive changes have been made so far early in the offseason. It will be interesting to see what direction the new leadership takes this organization in 2018. There will be cuts, restructuring of contracts, draft combine, and free agency before the 2018 NFL draft. Team needs will change between now and the draft in April. If I was picking today with the current roster this is who I would choose.
1) Josh Jackson CB Iowa
Three year starter 6"1 200 long arms and is always around the ball. Very physical likes to play man which is the preference of the new DC. Put Jackson with a hopefully recovered King and Randall and I like this young and developing secondary.
I really like Fumagali. 6"6 catches everything thrown his way. Oh and a bonus is a tremendous run blocker. I believe this offense lacks that middle of the field TE that can stretch the field and pick up 7 yards on a third and 6. Aaron Rodgers will appreciate this selection.

This would be my first two selections on this cold Wisconsin January day if the draft were held today. would love to hear your thoughts and your selections. Go Pack!

What about Harold Landry and then Fumagali in 2nd? I want a pass rusher!!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fumgali isn't gonna go in the 2nd I'd say 3rd. If I was taking a te in 2nd after cb Josh Jackson at 14 it's mark Andrews okalahoma. He's much more of that seam stretching player. He's much better after the catch than fumagali, Andrews kinda reminds me of Finley. Although I'd be even more happy taking :
#14 Josh Jackson cb Iowa
#45 Christian Kirk wr Texas a&m
#76 Troy fumagali te Wisconsin

And signing Jimmy Graham to be your middle of the field stretching te. He'd be a great fit with Rodgers and McCarthy and also with fumagali as the number 2 te. As Fumgali is a great traditional in line te and Graham is your spilt out te

OP
OP
L

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fumgali isn't gonna go in the 2nd I'd say 3rd. If I was taking a te in 2nd after cb Josh Jackson at 14 it's mark Andrews okalahoma. He's much more of that seam stretching player. He's much better after the catch than fumagali, Andrews kinda reminds me of Finley. Although I'd be even more happy taking :
#14 Josh Jackson cb Iowa
#45 Christian Kirk wr Texas a&m
#76 Troy fumagali te Wisconsin

And signing Jimmy Graham to be your middle of the field stretching te. He'd be a great fit with Rodgers and McCarthy and also with fumagali as the number 2 te. As Fumgali is a great traditional in line te and Graham is your spilt out te

I have read anywhere from 2 to 4 round with Fumagali. I'm sure how he tests at the combine will solidify his draft status. I could definitely live with these players.

H

HardRightEdge

I have read anywhere from 2 to 4 round with Fumagali. I'm sure how he tests at the combine will solidify his draft status. I could definitely live with these players.
Right. You have to like the size, body control and competitiveness. However, nfldraftscout.com has a preliminary 40 time of 4.84.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=TE&draftyear=2018&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

That speed is problematic in the step up in competition. That might be an old number so you just have to see what he does at the Combine. He needs to improve on that number without dropping weight while showing decent lifts if you expect him to block.

It's kind of d*mned if he does and d*mned if he doesn't. From a two year perspective (or one year if name players depart) there are more acute needs at more impactful positions. If he blows out the Combine you would not want to spend the high pick on a TE. If he doesn't, then what's the value add in a lower round?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If we're talking 2nd round then I'm talking Parris Campbell. Has NFL body and very explosive with straight line speed. Also very fluid and elusive with ball in his hands. True 4.3-4.2 speed and he can get to top gear rather quickly. I like the fact that he is a cold weather player too.

He played at Ohio State and is a product of playing in an offense that only allowed him to only do so much. He will need some development but what receiver won't in Packer offense? This is a potential upgrade to what Packers have in the slot giving Rodgers a big time playmaker.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st round will be EDGE H. Landry or C. Ferrell. but i would take roquan smith if he is there. 2nd round will be Christian Kirk or Mark Andrews...first TE to be picked. i would take Kirk 3rd round Fumagalli , or Dallas Goedert or nick Chubb may still be there. i would take Fumagalli. 3rd round best CB or OL. Plus i would try to obtain another pick in 2nd or 3rd round to make a total of 5 picks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
1st round will be EDGE H. Landry or C. Ferrell. but i would take roquan smith if he is there. 2nd round will be Christian Kirk or Mark Andrews...first TE to be picked. i would take Kirk 3rd round Fumagalli , or Dallas Goedert or nick Chubb may still be there. i would take Fumagalli. 3rd round best CB or OL. Plus i would try to obtain another pick in 2nd or 3rd round to make a total of 5 picks.

I agree with all these scenarios except I prefer Campbell over Kirk.

OP
OP
L

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can't argue this team needs players that can get to the QB. A pass rush also makes your secondary much better.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
try the Fanspeak website ...kinda fun. i have done about 343 different ways . but i always see mark Andrews and Kirk top of second. i think we are going to do well in second round. Would any of you guys pass up EDGE guy to take R. Smith or Nelson..guard out of ND. both could be there at 14, both could be pro bowlers.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roquan, sure. Any OL in the first, no. I think at this point, we need day 1 contributors from our 1st round picks, and I think we have guys in-house to fill starting OL.

OP
OP
L

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
try the Fanspeak website ...kinda fun. i have done about 343 different ways . but i always see mark Andrews and Kirk top of second. i think we are going to do well in second round. Would any of you guys pass up EDGE guy to take R. Smith or Nelson..guard out of ND. both could be there at 14, both could be pro bowlers.

I have given plenty of thought to taking on OL at 14. I have always been a Bulaga fan but his injury history has to be in play. Spriggs needs to show more. At some point I believe the plan was Bulaga at guard and Spriggs at tackle. Not a popular choice but an OL may have to be in the discussion.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many scouts are saying Quenton Nelson could be on of the best OL to come out in years...just sayin, almost sure fire thing. sometimes it makes sense just to get the sure bet. but hard to argue about needing edge. fun to watch what happens.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edge rusher or corner in the first and second. TE, WR could also be in play. All depends on free agency. Packers will have a lot of picks. Could oline wait until the 4th round since RT and guard is often found later?

Will be interesting to see what Pettine thinks about king and Randall? Does he like them enough to tell the brass to wait on a corner? Same thing with Perry and clay and the young olb. Hope fresh eyes allow us to move on from guys we drafted if they just don't have it.

I would love to find a te in free agency just bc rookie tight ends rarely have a huge impact. Then take a flyer on a te later.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It annoys me when people do their mock drafts because I usually don't care unless it's somebody who does it for a living like Todd McShay. But being an Iowa Hawkeye season ticket holder, I can agree Josh Jackson looks like the real deal. Spring practice in 2015 he actually was a receiver then he moved to corner. I really didn't think much of him until late October/early November 2017. Coming into Halloween I believe he led the nation in deflections which I was ok with but I would have liked see some of those deflections turn into picks.. As many of you Badger fans saw he quickly became an interception machine starting with the Ohio State game. In the Purdue game in mid November the Iowa corner's on the right side of the defense were getting TORCHED so Iowa made one simple adjustment. They moved Jackson to the right side of the field which resulted in Purdue struggling to get any first downs the rest of the game. As a homer Iowa fan of course I would love this, but I truly believe this guy will be ready to start week 1. For what it's worth I wasn't crazy about Mike Daniels coming out of college so what do I know.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have given plenty of thought to taking on OL at 14. I have always been a Bulaga fan but his injury history has to be in play. Spriggs needs to show more. At some point I believe the plan was Bulaga at guard and Spriggs at tackle. Not a popular choice but an OL may have to be in the discussion.

Bulaga played a good amount of guard in college, especially when Riley Reiff became a starter at tackle in 2009. It shouldn't take him long to figure it out.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It annoys me when people do their mock drafts
IMO this is all that needs to be said. Most mock drafts I've seen don't even bother to research all 32 teams enough to know who the replacements to departed players are. Expect many RT, OG mocks this year for the Packers because of Evans age and Bulaga's injury. Never mind they played pretty good without them this past season. Most mocs are just compilations of the top 50 players divied up to the teams based on a cursory glance.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Josh Jackson CB Iowa

I think GB using the 1st round on Iowa's Josh Jackson would be a great selection. Good size, skill, and familiarity with the weather in the Midwest would make Jackson a great addition. I'm not sure about Fumagali in the second round, maybe third or fourth round, where GB has some 3rd round compensatory picks plus their own. If I had to draft a TE, Mark Andrews would be my first choice, however between him Josh Jackson, Iowa's CB should get the nod. I would rather sign Trey Burton as No. 1 TE, and get a rookie TE, like Fumagali as No. 2 TE. Second round pick should go for a dynamic pass rusher (Harold Landry), Safety (Rodney Harrison), or WR (Equanimeous St. Brown). This upcoming draft appears to offer solutions for GB's weaknesses. Hopefully, the new regime takes advantage.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only problem with Jackson is that he's not much of a tackler. Like? At all. Great cover skills though. I like him.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the problem is if you dont take an edge guy in the first....when and who later...they wont be around. to me it screws up the draft. if you go edge first there is pretty good quality CB WR and TE in second and third. plus your not getting edge rusher in free agency. i go Landry in first just to get it done.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
i go Landry in first just to get it done.

What if Arden Key is on the board? It would be real hard to pass on his length and explosion.

Landry might be a bit of a reach with 14th pick IMO.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Arden Key is on the board? It would be real hard to pass on his length and explosion.

Landry might be a bit of a reach with 14th pick IMO.

Key is such a head case though, on and off the field. Great talent, but mediocre effort. That rarely works out.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Key is such a head case though, on and off the field. Great talent, but mediocre effort. That rarely works out.

I get that Landry is the safe pick but he just didn't flash enough for me last year. I know he had the ankle thing but he just seems so 2nd round to me. That's why I don't like getting into this "edge rusher box" with the 14th pick if the right guy isn't there. This appears to be a weaker class for Olb's. If it came down to Landry and Courtland Sutton I say Sutton. Of course I hope R. SMITH is on board. At some point gotta take the best player available.

I'm starting to see the writing on the wall that the Packers are gonna need to hang onto Matthews.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts