January 2round mock draft

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this is all that needs to be said. Most mock drafts I've seen don't even bother to research all 32 teams enough to know who the replacements to departed players are. Expect many RT, OG mocks this year for the Packers because of Evans age and Bulaga's injury. Never mind they played pretty good without them this past season. Most mocs are just compilations of the top 50 players divied up to the teams based on a cursory glance.
If you were required to have this level of understanding and information to post around here, there would be about 12 packer related posts per year.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the problem is if you dont take an edge guy in the first....when and who later...they wont be around. to me it screws up the draft. if you go edge first there is pretty good quality CB WR and TE in second and third. plus your not getting edge rusher in free agency. i go Landry in first just to get it done.

I would rather go in the opposite direction. GB should go after a CB in the 1st Round, TE/DE/WR in the 2nd and 3rd round. Josh Jackson is too good to pass up @ 14th pick. Pass rushing could be found in the 2nd or 3 round, however, I think GB should seek pass rushers, that can immediately contribute, in free agency. One year deals seem to spur production, and considering the window that GB has; GB should consider a free agent with something to prove. (Aaron Lynch? Adrian Claybourn?). Ziggy Ansah and DeMarcus Lawrence are not going anywhere!!! Hell, maybe sign a couple free agent pass rushers on 1 year deals, including possibly Kony Ealy.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather go in the opposite direction. GB should go after a CB in the 1st Round, TE/DE/WR in the 2nd and 3rd round. Josh Jackson is too good to pass up @ 14th pick. Pass rushing could be found in the 2nd or 3 round, however, I think GB should seek pass rushers, that can immediately contribute, in free agency. One year deals seem to spur production, and considering the window that GB has; GB should consider a free agent with something to prove. (Aaron Lynch? Adrian Claybourn?). Ziggy Ansah and DeMarcus Lawrence are not going anywhere!!! Hell, maybe sign a couple free agent pass rushers on 1 year deals, including possibly Kony Ealy.
I hear yeah, nice to come back with an option too..my first thought would be if R. Smith is there...it changes the draft plan..you take him. But if he gone and you take josh jackson thats fine, but a third round edge guy no! im over the beagle type guys. good edge guys are history by the 40th pick. So go J.Jackson but from there Wr and TE and OL. all this is predicated on you getting your EDGE guy in free agency.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I hear yeah, nice to come back with an option too..my first thought would be if R. Smith is there...it changes the draft plan..you take him. But if he gone and you take josh jackson thats fine, but a third round edge guy no! im over the beagle type guys. good edge guys are history by the 40th pick. .

The Bengals scooped up Carl Lawson after we drafted Biegel. He looks like a winning pick in middle of 4th round. Not saying it's an easy science but it is possible.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can find good players in any round, it just gets more difficult the later you get.

And don't give up on Biegel. He came in late, he's a rookie, give it time.

Reaction score
The Bengals scooped up Carl Lawson after we drafted Biegel. He looks like a winning pick in middle of 4th round. Not saying it's an easy science but it is possible.
Absolutely. It's obviously all a crap shoot how they adapt to the Pro Level, but we also know picking earlier each round gives us a better chance at attaining a player who can learn the system faster than average due to the type system played in college, physical attributes and such. In the second round there will 100% be players who should've went round 1 but slid for whatever the reason. We shouldn't be afraid to leverage a couple of picks to move up and get a dynamic CB or WR depending who is still there earlier in round 2. Isaiah Oliver, DJ Moore, Christian Kirk or Courtland Sutton would be some suggestions and it's anyone's guess as to who is still there. The WR pool looks enticing this year and it should push well into the second round.

Understand that I'm not expecting them to be barn burners their first year (they should however offer some solid depth in their rookie year) My philosophy is it will take 2 seasons to rebuild positions of need like our secondary and pass rush so there will be pieces that come into place as the puzzle gets cl0ser to the end. I can see either of these positions being a chunk of puzzle that will fit nicely by the time the 2019 season roster is in focus.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too many scenarios to focus on one or two. Much could be said for picking an OT, CB, S, OLB, DL or WR. You have to look past 2018 and consider the long term, while many of us get stuck looking two inches in front of our faces.

Like a Chess Master, we need to look four or five moves in advance. If I'm Gutekunst, not only do I know my own team needs but every other team's as well.

We have 5 guys on defence that the jury is still out on. That's nearly half your team. Our defence can be better just by better coaching those guys and less injuries. On offense, we are getting old and have glaring holes besides QB and running back. RT?, TE?, WR that can stretch the field?

So many questions, and only one first round pick so far. Besides, we need more veterans out there that already know how to play at the pro level.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Where things stand now, before free agency, I would say the priority is to get Pettine someone who can rush the QB. (***** kitty) I'm of mind to draft LB/EDGE in the 1st and WR or TE in the 2nd. I really like LB Tremaine Edmonds out of Virginia Tech, Roquan Smith, or even the small school guy Marcus Davenport. WR's in the 2nd I like are James Washington, and Christian Kirk or at TE Mark Andrews and Dallas Goedert. I would not be opposed to draft CB in the 1st rd. again this yr. Josh Jackson out of Iowa or Denzel Ward from Ohio St would both be decent selections.

Attachments

• *****-kitty.jpg
    *****-kitty.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 117

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All I know is I want Gut to sit down at the draft table relaxed and say to himself, "well I think I covered all of our immediate needs in resignings and Free Agency, it's going to be nice to draft for our needs in 2019 and beyond." Mock drafts are fun right now, but almost all 32 teams will look different between now and the draft, as will many of the prospects based on what they do in the combine, Pro days, interviews and their conduct off the field.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All I know is I want Gut to sit down at the draft table relaxed and say to himself, "well I think I covered all of our immediate needs in resignings and Free Agency, it's going to be nice to draft for our needs in 2019 and beyond." Mock drafts are fun right now, but almost all 32 teams will look different between now and the draft, as will many of the prospects based on what they do in the combine, Pro days, interviews and their conduct off the field.

So that means a corner, tight end, and safety/linebacker depending on how they view Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So that means a corner, tight end, and safety/linebacker depending on how they view Jones.

Would love to see the Packers do well in Free Agency with those positions. There will be a few FA WR's that might be worth a sniff, but I would prefer the Packers use a top 3 pick at WR. I am really liking Notre Dame WR Equanimeous St. Brown or "EQ". He may be a steal in Rd. 2 or 3 (if still there). EQ has great height (6' 4") but could use a little more upper body strength and size (205#). I see him all over the place on where he is projected to be drafted. His junior year with Kizer was very good, but with a struggling passing attack last year, his stats were down.

One Scout said this:

"he is a super-polished route runner with tremendous speed, athletic ability, body control, and hands. St. Brown could be more gifted and talented than the three wideouts who went in the top 10 of the 2017 NFL Draft, but St. Brown gets fewer opportunities to show his skill. In 2016, he had 58 receptions for 961 yards with nine touchdowns."

Edit: Brown is coming out as a Junior, I mistakenly said "his junior year with Kizer", appears that was his Sophomore year :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Would love to see the Packers do well in Free Agency with those positions. There will be a few FA WR's that might be worth a sniff, but I would prefer the Packers use a top 3 pick at WR. I am really liking Notre Dame WR Equanimeous St. Brown or "EQ". He may be a steal in Rd. 2 or 3 (if still there). EQ has great height (6' 4") but could use a little more upper body strength and size (205#). I see him all over the place on where he is projected to be drafted. His junior year with Kizer was very good, but with a struggling passing attack last year, his stats were down.

One Scout said this:

"he is a super-polished route runner with tremendous speed, athletic ability, body control, and hands. St. Brown could be more gifted and talented than the three wideouts who went in the top 10 of the 2017 NFL Draft, but St. Brown gets fewer opportunities to show his skill. In 2016, he had 58 receptions for 961 yards with nine touchdowns."

I think St. Brown will go fairly high. The media just hasn't caught up on him.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd think so too but for some reason his stock seems to be falling. I'm wondering if he's not that fast or something because I don't get why. And mind you im basing this on the fact that on the numerous draft boards on fanspeak he started out going in the 2nd now you can get him in the 6th even 7th haven't seen him go higher than 4th round lately. The same thing happened with Antonio Callaway. I assumed due to off the field issues, could st brown have something off the field that hasn't become public yet ?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I tend to agree with Dantés, EQ's stock will rise as scouts see him at the combine and start considering what he did as a Sophomore when Kizer was the QB. I keep seeing him being compared to AJ Green and if he ends up being like AJ, sign me up!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had EQ in my mock a few weeks ago, he would definitely be on my all-underappreciated team. The team looks something like:

WR EQ St. Brown
5T Rasheem Green
OLB Uchenna Nwosu
TE Dalton Schultz
CB Michael Joseph
OLB Dorance Armstrong

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd think so too but for some reason his stock seems to be falling. I'm wondering if he's not that fast or something because I don't get why. And mind you im basing this on the fact that on the numerous draft boards on fanspeak he started out going in the 2nd now you can get him in the 6th even 7th haven't seen him go higher than 4th round lately. The same thing happened with Antonio Callaway. I assumed due to off the field issues, could st brown have something off the field that hasn't become public yet ?

I know multiple people have said even though he didn't have the best QB play, his hands weren't the best.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I had EQ in my mock a few weeks ago, he would definitely be on my all-underappreciated team. The team looks something like:

WR EQ St. Brown
5T Rasheem Green
OLB Uchenna Nwosu
TE Dalton Schultz
CB Michael Joseph
OLB Dorance Armstrong

EQ will most likely be included in my "98th Annual Amish Draft" :tup:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WR EQ St. Brown
5T Rasheem Green
OLB Uchenna Nwosu
TE Dalton Schultz
CB Michael Joseph
OLB Dorance Armstrong

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but imma throw Jaire Alexander on there too.

He's better than Josh Jackson.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but imma throw Jaire Alexander on there too.

He's better than Josh Jackson.
Difficult for us to judge these guys when there are medical issues. The broken hand is no big deal, but anytime you have knee issues it can be a big factor in a players success. I agree, if there were no injury issues, he would be taken a lot sooner than he will be.