James Jones' disappearing act

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that James Jones has caught only a few passes during the past 4 or 5 games? I wonder if he's hit the rookie wall. He was great for the first half of the season. He dropped maybe one pass during that entire stretch, but lately he seems to drop a pass every game.

With Jennings a bit dinged up, I expect to see Jones in the starting lineup, and I expect Favre to be looking for him. He needs a boost of confidence heading into the playoffs.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has something to do with the emerging of Ryan Grant. Favre hasn't had to throw the ball as much lately as he did earlier in the season because we have an effective running game. Therefore there are fewer balls to catch and fewer opportunities for Jones as he is the 3rd receiver. We used to have two 100 yard receivers and Jones maybe had 80 yards himself, when favre doesn't throw 40 times a game that's not going to happen as often.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has something to do with the emerging of Ryan Grant. Favre hasn't had to throw the ball as much lately as he did earlier in the season because we have an effective running game. Therefore there are fewer balls to catch and fewer opportunities for Jones as he is the 3rd receiver. We used to have two 100 yard receivers and Jones maybe had 80 yards himself, when favre doesn't throw 40 times a game that's not going to happen as often.

Good point. I think Koren Robinson's increased role has also taken a few opportunities away from Jones. So maybe he's just lost his rhythm through lack of opportunities. I would love to see him get it back in this game against the Lions.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's just because of things already stated here. You can never have too many good WR's. So i'm glad we have him, if we need him.
I don't think he's hit the wall, just too many others have been contributing.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a rookie and he's been discovered. Teams have adjusted to him and he has countered that yet. He's also had a few drops. Brett doesn't like to throw the ball to guys who don't catch the ball consistently. He's got all the tools however, and if he makes a few adjustments he can burn anyone.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very well said mate !

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If this is truly the case then maybe they ought to consider trying to get Jones the ball more often. Our effective running game is ranked 26th in the NFL.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

If this is truly the case then maybe they ought to consider trying to get Jones the ball more often. Our effective running game is ranked 26th in the NFL.

Well the first half of the season obviosuly drags our rushing ranking down. Since Grant has taken over the starting job he's accumulated the 2nd or 3rd most rushing yards in the league, so the running game has been effective.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

That's because it wasn't effective early in the season, did you forget Ryan Grant has been one of the leading RBs since he took over as our starter?
That means since he took over as a starter, we have had one of the leading running games....

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Jennings fell off last year in his rookie season due to a high ankle sprain, and he came roaring back this year with a breakout season.

Jones, despite being a rookie, is statistically having one of the best for any rookie WRs. He's really only behind Dwayne Bowe in receptions for a rookie WR. If you think back to the 2007 draft, there was a huge run on receivers in 3rd round when we took Jones. If you look at all the WRs taken in that part of the draft, Jones easily outclasses all of them.

When you spread the ball around by the Packers do, receptions are going to probably come in spurts here and there. Jones is going to be a valuable member of our receiving corp for many years to come. Despite a bit of downturn in production the second half of the season, he's still a receiver to be reckoned with, especially when the Packers go 5 wide.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

I love when people bring up stats like this that don't tell the whole story. It's cute.

Our effective running game might be 26th in the league, but its top 5 since week 8, Lare. But who cares about perspective. lets throw out vague stats that don't tell everything. Good post, Lare.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Against the Lions, Jones had a couple catches early, which was good to see, then disappeared again, which puzzled me. He was upstaged by Koren Robinson and Ruvell Martin, and even Bodiford caught one later in the game.

I think Jones will be fine. I just thought his decline in production was worth discussing. I don't expect him to be a big factor in the playoffs, but I do expect him to improve next season and become a very good receiver for us.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He dropped another one yesterday that was very catchable.
I don't think Favre is all that confident in him.
He may have disappeared temporarily but he has great upside and I believe will be a big time receiver for us in the future.
I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson replaces him as the #3 receiver for the playoffs.
Brett and Robinson seem to have some special chemistry emerging.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He dropped another one yesterday that was very catchable.
I don't think Favre is all that confident in him.
He may have disappeared temporarily but he has great upside and I believe will be a big time receiver for us in the future.
I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson replaces him as the #3 receiver for the playoffs.
Brett and Robinson seem to have some special chemistry emerging.
Yup! Favre and Robinson seem to be coming together quite nicely! Driver, Jennings, Robinson........that trio has to have some other teams back on their heals! And if Grant can be 100% for the playoffs, it really has my hopes up for something BIG!

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Jones is a rookie, and yeah maybe he has hit a bit of a wall, but Jennings did too. I love James and I see enormous potential in him, he's working with the best of the best, guys with great skill and great heart, I see him pulling a sophomore standout year next year, just like Jennings did. He'll come back, and who knows about this year? Still got playoffs, he still has some time to work a lil' magic :D

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know?.....I just have this feeling that now most DCs will not pay as much attention to Jones as to the others who have the hot hand presently. And during the playoffs, I can see Jones making them pay the price. He's not done by any means....I just hope DCs think he is.

Members online

Latest posts