Jamal Rolle Signed Off Practice Squad

H

HardRightEdge

HOU signed him to fill a roster spot vacated with the release of Ronnie Brown.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...bring-back-veteran-linebacker-desmond-bishop/

Some of us thought he deserved to make the 53 over Goodson based on his preseason performances, but Thompson evidently preferred the potential of his own major college 6th round pick over the on field performance of the small school free agent.

This is unfortunate.

Along with Pickett, this is the second Packer/ex-Packer picked up by HOU in the last couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue that he deserved to be on the 53 man roster because there are only 52 men on it right now!!! I'm actually shocked a D-lineman isn't being added with Boyd being doubtful tomorrow and the position group already being thin.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another dreadful personnel move by TT. Rolle is much better than Goodsen. Houston knows it but TT? Not so much

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I would argue that he deserved to be on the 53 man roster because there are only 52 men on it right now!!! I'm actually shocked a D-lineman isn't being added with Boyd being doubtful tomorrow and the position group already being thin.
I would surmise Thompson is holding open the 53rd. spot for Tretter's return. He rolled the dice and lost.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another dreadful personnel move by TT. Rolle is much better than Goodsen. Houston knows it but TT? Not so much

Yeah, because a team coming off a 2-14 season is great at talent evaluation...

Besides, there's no point in adding Rolle to the active roster where he would just be buried on the depth chart and never play.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

By the way, Houston plugged Pickett in for 20 snaps this past Sunday.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, because a team coming off a 2-14 season is great at talent evaluation...

They're 3-1 now, 12-4 in 2012, 10-6 in 2011. Their QB just happened to self-destruct in 2013. It's not like they're Jacksonville.

The Packers would be a 2-14, give or take, if Tolzien had to start 16 games.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're 3-1 now, 12-4 in 2012, 10-6 in 2011. Their QB just happened to self-destruct in 2013. It's not like they're Jacksonville.

The Packers would be a 2-14, give or take, if Tolzien had to start 16 games.

You're right. I stretched it a little far, but there's no reason to believe the Texans are better at talent evaluations than the Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would surmise Thompson is holding open the 53rd. spot for Tretter's return. He rolled the dice and lost.
I hadn't thought of this before but you may be right HRE. I just assumed they'd release Gerhart and try to sign him back to the practice squad if they wanted to keep him as insurance.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If that's the case I would wonder why we didn't just keep Tretter on the roster. Unless there is something in his contract causing us to pay him less if he's injured, we would only be wasting our IR designation to return spot.

Flat out, this was a terrible move by TT and deserves criticism when he makes wrong decisions. Goodson making the roster made no sense. 52 guys on the roster makes no sense. Bush on this roster makes little sense. TT is slipping.

In your opinion :rolleyes:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I

Of course it's my opinion. Who's else would it be? People seem to have this weird idea that you have to state something is your opinion in order for it to be.

If you make statements without it, you can expect people to challenge you to corroborate your information source. Just trying to help you here.

I

I'm fine with challenges on my opinions, in fact I like respectful and honest challenges because that is what creates good discussion, but if I say the grass is green I don't need to say "in my opinion" in order for it to be an opinion. If I say, "That was a terrible move by TT.", I don't need to state that it's an opinion for it to be one.

Fine, you`ve made your point. I`ve nothing more to say on the subject. Good luck with it.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's the case I would wonder why we didn't just keep Tretter on the roster. Unless there is something in his contract causing us to pay him less if he's injured, we would only be wasting our IR designation to return spot.

I agree! Keeping the spot open for Tretter makes no sense at all. Actually, they will probably cut Gerhart when Tretter returns.

Bush on this roster makes little sense. TT is slipping.

Bush on the roster makes sense. He is an important special teams player. Moreover he really improved as corner over the last couple of years.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Flat out, this was a terrible move by TT and deserves criticism when he makes wrong decisions. Goodson making the roster made no sense. 52 guys on the roster makes no sense. Bush on this roster makes little sense. TT is slipping.
IN MY OPINION, you're just going out on your typical campaign to skewer Thompson. Tell me how this is a "terrible move" by the GM. He has very little options in these situations. You wanted Thompson to sign a guy to the 53. He tried. Unfortunately when PS guys get an opportunity to join another team's 53 they bolt. Often times they'll even accept less money from the new team because they are getting an opportunity to play. The only thing that Thompson could have done to keep Rolle at this point was to offer him an insane amount of money to continue sitting on the bench until next year.

One can argue the Rolle vs Goodson issue as being a mistake, but not being able to keep Rolle on the team mid-season is more about what the player wants versus what the GM can do.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So there was some jumping to conclusions about Thompson - that's not a surprise. Players on the PS are in the driver's seat when another team comes calling and I don't blame Rolle at all for going to a team where he's much more likely to get on the field.
IN MY OPINION, you're just going out on your typical campaign to skewer Thompson.
IMO that poster has trouble backing up what he posts so he resorts to complaining about those challenging him being "technical" or disagreeing over syntax or grammar.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't know how they went Goodson over Rolle. I don't even think it's close and I don't care if someone says we don't see these guys in practice. Goodson doesn't even look like an NFL player out there. These guys appear to be good at getting the right people in on the offense side but defensively you really have to start wondering if they know what there doing when it comes to evaluating talent and personnel.

People will say this isn't a big deal because Goodson is inactive but next year he probably won't be and my money is we will add him to the list of disappointments on the defensive side of the ball while Rolle has a solid career in Houston. This loyalty to late round draft picks is retarded.

It's like we made a mistake drafting a guy so let's compound the mistake by keeping him and in some cases extending the guys contract. I like "draft and develop" and I believe it to be an effective approach but were missing the boat somewhere in the process.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked this guy. I saw him making plays on balls better than most we've seen in GB over the past few years.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to know how TT is rolling with 5 d lineman on the active roster and only 4 that will be available tonight.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to know how TT is rolling with 5 d lineman on the active roster and only 4 that will be available tonight.
My inside contact says they are using the "amoeba" as their base defense tonight.;)

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The answer is...Luther Robinson. I liked what I saw in preseason.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked great last night. He got to the QB and affected those two throws that were intercepted. I hope he keeps playing.

Members online

Latest posts