Jake Ryan

D

Deleted member 6794

Just a note about Ryan´s knee injury and how it affected him in 2014. He tore his ACL in the spring of 2013 and returned to start five of the last eight games that season. I don´t think it was a factor in his performance last season.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So according to your statement you think Hawk is the best linebacker in franchise history as he's leading the Packers in all-time tackles???

No, I don't. He's a guy who played smart, didn't miss many tackles, had incredible durability and played a position that lends itself to having lots of tackles. He was certainly a top 10 LB in Packer history though.

Taking a look at game film is way more important than to quantify a prospect's production.

No, the best way to quantify (objective data) a linebacker is to look at things like their height, weight, 40 time, shuttle time, bench press, tackles, TFL, sacks, FF, INTs, etc. The best way to qualify (subjective data) is to look at game film. BTW, TT and his staff had access to that, as well as the prospect and his coaches to interview and ask questions about what is actually going on in that film. And I seriously doubt they needed to consult Youtube to find it.

No ILB was drafting before the Packers pick at #30 so Thompson wouldn't have had to trade up to select one of them. While Hawk and Jones were mostly terrible over the last two seasons we still have to find better players at the position to actually improve.

Again, you're automatically discounting that Thomas and Ryan can be better before even giving them a chance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Again, you're automatically discounting that Thomas and Ryan can be better before even giving them a chance.

I don´t discount the possibility that some of the inside linebackers currently on the roster turn out to be better than Hawk and Jones but I for sure don´t take it as a given as you are.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, I'm not writing off any of the ILBs currently on the roster. Taking a look at their athleticism and agility none of them is best suited to play WLB or all three downs though.

Strange. Last year, you said if his injury checked out you would have wanted Thompson to pick CJ Mosley. I don't recall you griping about his lack of athleticism last year. Jake Ryan is a slightly bigger guy and he smoked Mosley in agility tests and matched or beat him on everything else except vertical leap, where he was half an inch behind. So your concern over Ryan's athleticism makes no sense. At least if you want to be consistent it doesn't.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t discount the possibility that some of the inside linebackers currently on the roster turn out to be better than Hawk and Jones but I for sure don´t take it as a given as you are.
I didn't take it as a given. I'm simply cognizant of the fact that we haven't seen enough of either of them in a Packers uniform to make that judgment either way. Aren't you?

D

Deleted member 6794

Strange. Last year, you said if his injury checked out you would have wanted Thompson to pick CJ Mosley. I don't recall you griping about his lack of athleticism last year. Jake Ryan is a slightly bigger guy and he smoked Mosley in agility tests and matched or beat him on everything else except vertical leap, where he was half an inch behind. So your concern over Ryan's athleticism makes no sense. At least if you want to be consistent it doesn't.

Once again, as it seems like you don´t get it, I expect Ryan to turn into a nice run stopping ILB at the pro level. He won´t turn out to be a three down linebacker who excels in coverage though. I would have liked to get Mosley last year but he´s a SLB as well and not great in coverage either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, as it seems like you don´t get it, I expect Ryan to turn into a nice run stopping ILB at the pro level. He won´t turn out to be a three down linebacker who excels in coverage though. I would have liked to get Mosley last year but he´s a SLB as well and not great in coverage either.
Obviously, the reason I mentioned Mosley was specifically because I found no instance of you criticizing his athleticism, even though he is slightly smaller and tested worse than Ryan at the combine. Yet you're all over Ryan saying he isn't athletic enough.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I watched the Miami OH video and the Indiana video too. Better than the Ohio State game, a few more nice plays, but I just don't see this "strong tackler" or "athletic" linebacker. He looks stiff, he looks slow, he looks slow to react, he doesn't look instinctual, in fact he ran himself right out of the play on a number of occasions.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears to me that the Packers have little interest in playing a traditional defense that requires traditional positional players. Drafting 2 defensive backs that play either corner or safety (or even linebacker?) gives them more flexibility in their passing sets; drafting linemen that can play linebacker the same. We've drafted a number of such "hybrids" in the last few years--Ryan not being one of them. I agree that Ryan will not be a 3 down player in our current system.

I doubt that we will play the run any better than we did last year, but with passing plays now over 60% of the snaps it does seem reasonable to draft players who play the pass first and the run second. I'd rather see us develop a defense like Seattle's, which seems to be pretty effective.

D

Deleted member 6794

I doubt that we will play the run any better than we did last year, but with passing plays now over 60% of the snaps it does seem reasonable to draft players who play the pass first and the run second. I'd rather see us develop a defense like Seattle's, which seems to be pretty effective.

The teams that defeated the Packers during the regular season last year ran the ball on 51.9% of the plays. It´s still important to stop the run in the NFL especially when not building a two TD lead after one quarter.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This argument, about who the best ILB of this draft was, will be interesting for years to come. I was a Dawson guy, but I'm hoping Ryan or whomever the Pack puts out there is the guy. I think I read where Philly has like 7 ILB 's is Kendricks brother still on the trade block? Is the Buffalo guy Spikes still out there, which vets get cut. Is there a James Jones of middle LB's out there?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Spikes is still a FA.......Bills want him back, but only at their low offer. Guessing that offer is higher then the Packers are willing to pay or TT just isn't interested in him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This argument, about who the best ILB of this draft was, will be interesting for years to come. I was a Dawson guy, but I'm hoping Ryan or whomever the Pack puts out there is the guy. I think I read where Philly has like 7 ILB 's is Kendricks brother still on the trade block? Is the Buffalo guy Spikes still out there, which vets get cut. Is there a James Jones of middle LB's out there?
Still lots of time to look at young guys on the roster and still have the opportunities to pick up a vet that's been cut if truly needed. It's a long ways to the first week in September.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The teams that defeated the Packers during the regular season last year ran the ball on 51.9% of the plays. It´s still important to stop the run in the NFL especially when not building a two TD lead after one quarter.
No argument here, just trying to figure out what exactly TT and the coaches are doing....

H

HardRightEdge

No argument here, just trying to figure out what exactly TT and the coaches are doing....
With the exception of Randall, the drafted guys fit the profile of guys they already have that they like. That makes it chiefly a depth draft, protection against "life happening, injuries happening" as Thompson put it.

Defensive improvement relies upon finding a cover corner who plays the position better than Williams, a Raji rejuvenation, Guion's suspension being limited, and/or somebody making a jump (Barrington would be a candidate), assuming no offsets due to injury or decline. One wonders when the Guion decision will come down; he sure looked like the leading candidate for base DE opposite Daniels and the backup NT.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the exception of Randall, the drafted guys fit the profile of guys they already have that they like. That makes it chiefly a depth draft, protection against "life happening, injuries happening" as Thompson put it.

Defensive improvement relies upon finding a cover corner who plays the position better than Williams, a Raji rejuvenation, Guion's suspension being limited, and/or somebody making a jump (Barrington would be a candidate), assuming no offsets due to injury or decline. One wonders when the Guion decision will come down; he sure looked like the leading candidate for base DE opposite Daniels and the backup NT.

I think Mike Pennel might be a fair candidate, I liked the kid's fight and pluck last season. Let's see if he can become a regular contributor this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Mike Pennel might be a fair candidate, I liked the kid's fight and pluck last season. Let's see if he can become a regular contributor this year.

With Raji and Guion back I doubt Pennel will get a lot of snaps. It's possible he doesn't even make the roster.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Raji and Guion back I doubt Pennel will get a lot of snaps. It's possible he doesn't even make the roster.

Guion could figure in as a DE with his length and Raji isn't a sure thing coming off a bicep injury. Then you have Datone Jones who looks and plays like an overstuffed 43 DE.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guion could figure in as a DE with his length and Raji isn't a sure thing coming off a bicep injury. Then you have Datone Jones who looks and plays like an overstuffed 43 DE.

Even if Guion would line up at DE with Raji playing at the nose I would expect Letroy being second on the depth chart at NT.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Guion would line up at DE with Raji playing at the nose I would expect Letroy being second on the depth chart at NT.

I don't disagree, but Teddy tends to like his young guys. If Pennel shows good improvement from last year they'll find a place for him.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd like to like Pennel, but I can't. He's stiff and plays high. Serviceable on run downs is about as far as he'll go.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to like Pennel, but I can't. He's stiff and plays high. Serviceable on run downs is about as far as he'll go.
I agree, but I also like to give guys that work, the benefit of the doubt. He may not ever achieve a higher level of play, but I know he's going to work towards one. Given time and work, he can learn to play with lower pads and leverage. I think he's a guy that will put in the work to get better at the very least

H

HardRightEdge

I agree, but I also like to give guys that work, the benefit of the doubt. He may not ever achieve a higher level of play, but I know he's going to work towards one. Given time and work, he can learn to play with lower pads and leverage. I think he's a guy that will put in the work to get better at the very least.
Yes, we like guys with good work ethic.

When such guys come in with an undistinguished resume, enthusiasm can grow high because the ceiling is unknown. But if the guy muffs an onside kick, then it's "don't let the door hit you in the a*s on the way out", regardless of how hard he works. Or if such a guy gets hurt, and is out the door with an injury settlement, he's quickly forgotten.

The general fan attitude in these matters, and I admit to sharing it, is simply "next man up" when it involves less than star players. And with star players, the regret might linger for a while, but it's "next man up" eventually.

The reason I share this attitude is I assume everybody that comes in should have a good work ethic. It's a necessary trait, particularly with developmental players if they're to stick around. So I don't really "award points" for work ethic; it's more a matter of subtracting points if it is not evident.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts