Jake Ryan

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they see something I don't, because i haven't seen anything I like really. Looks like he can get blocked really well, decleated even. Slower than the RB's on the field and usually late to the ball. I know others are probably happy as can be now that he took a LB'er, but he's the first guy I don't think of as that good of a football player.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's some information about Ryan:

According to College Football Focus Ryan had one of the highest overall grades in this year's linebacker class being especially good in run defense. He is probably one of the better players at stacking linemen at the second level, flashing good strength in doing so. His 14.5% Run Stop Percentage didn’t compare to Paul Dawson’s ridiculous mark, but still ranked in the Top 5 at the position, both among draft-eligible players and overall.

There are still some concerns with Ryan. For one, he wasn’t quite as good against the best competition Michigan faced, including negative grades against Notre Dame, Michigan State, and Ohio State. Agility could be a question against more athletic NFL players as he had difficulty breaking down in space at times, though his 12 missed tackles show that it wasn’t a huge problem. He also occasionally locked onto the RB which led to getting faked by counters and misdirection or crushed by a blockers that he didn’t see coming.

Ryan had at least two defensive stops in every game last season and nine games of five or more stops.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats' just it, I was watching video of him in the Ohio State game, there wasn't a single play that he made in the first 15 plays it seemed. He was taken off his feet by a blocker. He was eaten up by blockers, he dove at some feet and missed everything and didn't line anybody up and tackle them. I'll do some more watching, but I have to say I was completely underwhelmed

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're talking about a fourth round draft pick here. if you are looking to be impressed I'm not sure you understand the way the draft works. it is not often your team is going to pick a player on the 4th round then you're going to say problem solved

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know what round we're in. I was reading what was written about him, and then stating what I saw. Watch the OH state clips, do you see something I don't? It's not that I expected to be impressed, i just didn't expect to be that completely underwhelmed and disappointed.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are some positives:

1) Last year was his first year at the position so he has a lot of growth potential at the position.
2) Above average size at 6'2 and 240 pounds.
3) Above average straight line speed at the position with a 4.65 40.
4) Above average lower body explosion with a 10 feet broad jump.
5) Excellent off field study habits and shows good instincts.
6) He was regarded as a good zone player.

The concerns with his game are largely the kinds that be worked out through camp. As a one year converted ILB I think he's way ahead of the curve. With his knee injury and limited playing time he's a risk at the position, but he's a very good value pick at that spot.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he looked terrible in that game and I don't think a terrible team playing against the national champs is necessarily the best thing to look at.

/e It is admittedly pretty sad that "not terrible" is my bar for ILBs at the moment.

DC_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Measurable, size, and play-style wise, he reminds me of Chad Greenway. Now, how that translates to the field is another story as Greenway was a first round pick and had a stronger pedigree coming into the draft. I agree with easy as this was good value for the position. Hey, another special teamer at least! ;)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Xactly DC, converted and recently converted players pose an inherent risk but also great opportunity since gms tend to under grade them. With players who have played the same position through high school and college you have to wonder about their capacity for improvement in a technical sense. But with a Jake Ryan, well you can see where he can improve from a fundamentals standpoint. Plus you have to admire him for tackling a position change while coming off an ACL tear. This is a young man with some heart.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Xactly DC, converted and recently converted players pose an inherent risk but also great opportunity since gms tend to under grade them. With players who have played the same position through high school and college you have to wonder about their capacity for improvement in a technical sense. But with a Jake Ryan, well you can see where he can improve from a fundamentals standpoint. Plus you have to admire him for tackling a position change while coming off an ACL tear. This is a young man with some heart.

This is the reason him and Hayes from USC had me intrigued and thought perhaps TT was willing to let one of them come to him instead of reaching for ILB he felt wasn't worth it.

There is no way to tell if he'll be able to be a stud, but to do as well as he did on a terrible team when opposing teams knew they stopped him the rest of the D was fairly worthless says a lot for him still performing. If he works into the starting rotation I say awesome value and could grow into more.....or he'll be a ABdul Hodge kinda cut in years.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has a higher risk factor than the average 4th rounder but has a higher success factor as well, real quality upside here.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^agreed....high potential of bust but also high potential of surprise.

DC_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also like Pullard and Ryan or even the Penn State guy, considering the Packers system and draft spot, over the media big 5 (Anthony, Perryman, Kendricks, Mckinney, Dawson). I'm not saying I would pick Ryan over Kendricks or Mckinney, but I just don't see a wide margin of difference thus making value of where they are selected and what system that are selected into important.

With that said, I think people are a bit tired of "fit in the ole system talk" and were looking for a "bust you in your mouth" linebacker that would raise hell on earth on Sundays. Who knows, as tynimiller and easy suggested, boom or "meh" with this kid.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It amazes me year in and year out how many people forget that the draft is a major craps shoot. Every year, a handful of first round picks end up to be completely worthless and a handful of late round players become first year starters. In the end, you simply can't predict how good a player will be based on where he was drafted and through reading the endless opinions of the "media scouts" in March and April.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It amazes me year in and year out how many people forget that the draft is a major craps shoot. Every year, a handful of first round picks end up to be completely worthless and a handful of late round players become first year starters. In the end, you simply can't predict how good a player will be based on where he was drafted and through reading the endless opinions of the "media scouts" in March and April.

pretty sure the majority of us here knows the spot your picked doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme...time will tell how these end up.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is your point that we shouldn't comment on the choices? If not, what is your point?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty sure the majority of us here knows the spot your picked doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme...time will tell how these end up.
Actually, there was always several who made a big deal year in and year out about Hawk not playing like a top 10 pick, with the counter-argument always being that he didn't pick himself, so how could be be blamed for that?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like the pick and thinking he will turn out to be better value than another linebacker from the Big 10 that we took in the first round a number of years ago. Before his injury, some people were saying he was on course to be a first round selection. Heart, ability and determination with some physical attributes and brains can go a long way!

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is your point that we shouldn't comment on the choices? If not, what is your point?

When did I say that?

More to the point, there are a few people who make these grand declarations about players either positively or negatively and fancy themselves to be experts based on crap they read on the internet or highlight videos on Youtube. Then when a team makes a pick that they don't like, it's the GM who is the idiot who doesn't know anything about the player. I find that to be comical.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did I say that?

More to the point, there are a few people who make these grand declarations about players either positively or negatively and fancy themselves to be experts based on crap they read on the internet or highlight videos on Youtube. Then when a team makes a pick that they don't like, it's the GM who is the idiot who doesn't know anything about the player. I find that to be comical.

So we shouldn't make grand declarations, or shouldn't fancy ourselves experts (subset - who's public evaluations can be considered 'expert'), or should know the difference between crap on the internet and (what? - your posts?), or shouldn't take the fans' preroogative and call the multimillionaire GM an idiot, or maybe just not express our opinions at all? Besides, if it tickles your funny bone, you should thank those guys for providing an outlet.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, he didn't look elite vs Ohio State so he's a bad pick? How did Melvin and the rest of Wisconsin look vs. Ohio State? One game film vs. elite competition in college does not define an NFL career.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats' just it, I was watching video of him in the Ohio State game, there wasn't a single play that he made in the first 15 plays it seemed. He was taken off his feet by a blocker. He was eaten up by blockers, he dove at some feet and missed everything and didn't line anybody up and tackle them. I'll do some more watching, but I have to say I was completely underwhelmed

Scouts tend to look at a lot more than 15 plays.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we shouldn't make grand declarations, or shouldn't fancy ourselves experts (subset - who's public evaluations can be considered 'expert'), or should know the difference between crap on the internet and (what? - your posts?), or shouldn't take the fans' preroogative and call the multimillionaire GM an idiot, or maybe just not express our opinions at all? Besides, if it tickles your funny bone, you should thank those guys for providing an outlet.
Okay, once again... get your little ******* un-wadded and show me where I EVER said anything about not expressing your precious opinion. Until you produce where that I said that, STOP ACCUSING ME OF DOING SO.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Jake Ryan and I don't. I think at times he plays down to competition. This is evidenced by the fact that he wasn't spectacular in the footage I saw of him against Miami Ohio. He ran a 4.66 at the combine a half-tenth slower than Hawk did as a rookie. He's had knee issues already. He isn't a solid tackler, I saw one play where he was scared up and the guy almost spun free. To my way of thinking that shouldn't happen.

He's 6'2 240-245, like the size. He can play outside or inside. He seems to have decent closing speed on scrambles and roll-outs. Doesn't seem to be as clumsy and prone to end up on his keys like Hawk was. Scouts compared him to Desmond Bishop which I like. Even if he's not as good as Hawk was 1.) He's still better than Brad Jones and 2.) There are better linebackers coming out next year that could make this defense significantly better.

Overall I think this was a B- pick, and could end up with a little luck not only being an A+ pick, but the best pick in our whole draft.

Members online

Latest posts