Jake Ryan

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had the speed and tackling ability to be good on special teams and can likely play some passing downs given his good speed. He doesn't necessarily have to be a starter to contribute. Maybe he is the kind of player that won't be tricked by a fake fg attempt!!

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It amazes me year in and year out how many people forget that the draft is a major craps shoot. Every year, a handful of first round picks end up to be completely worthless and a handful of late round players become first year starters. In the end, you simply can't predict how good a player will be based on where he was drafted and through reading the endless opinions of the "media scouts" in March and April.
THIS

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway I don't think he looked that bad in that clip that I saw above from the OSU game. Yeah he got flattened couple times but at least he's not shy of getting hit. He made some place too. Only time will tell but at least he can play the position. That's more than we had before the draft.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The consensus on Ryan is that he not a big hitter, lacks lateral quickness, has trouble getting off blocks, and is a liability against the pass. He is also supposed to be a high-character, high effort guy who is assignment sure and is best at stopping the run.

Seems to me we have a slower, smaller version of AJ Hawk.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The consensus on Ryan is that he not a big hitter, lacks lateral quickness, has trouble getting off blocks, and is a liability against the pass. He is also supposed to be a high-character, high effort guy who is assignment sure and is best at stopping the run.

Seems to me we have a slower, smaller version of AJ Hawk.

If that was the"consensus" then he wouldn't have been drafted or discussed by scouts. For every single Prospect you can find glowing statements about their strengths and damning statements about their flaws. Focusing on only the latter would convince you that literally any player is going to be horrible in the NFL before a down is played.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Ryan is a stiff and must have paid someone to get on the All Big 10 Team. He must have rich parents as he bought this honor twice making the team in both '12 as an OLB and '14 as a ILB but yes, he is a slow stiff. Furthermore he showed off his lack of athleticism at the combine ranking near the top in both the 20 and 60 yard shuttles. Also, he ran a brutal 40YD finishing at 4.65 which was light years behind "All World Athletes" Shaq Thompson and Randy Gregory who both ran 4.64, respectively. That's right, Shaq and Dr. ***** outran Concrete Legs by .01 in the 40. I hope my sarcasm is not insulting any of you rather opening your eyes to the fact that this kid is a pretty decent athlete. He may not be a 4.4 or 4.5 guy but he is a 4.6 guy with wonderful football smarts and knows angles better than most his age. To me the comparisons with Hawk are predictable and lazy. Let's give this kid a chance and see what he can do. I read a few scouts saying how teams would be foolish to pigeonhole him as a "try hard" guy and I would suggest some of you fans exercise the same caution. Welcome to GB Jakester and here's to a great career! This Packer fan believes in you.

G P G!

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Ryan is a stiff and must have paid someone to get on the All Big 10 Team. He must have rich parents as he bought this honor twice making the team in both '12 as an OLB and '14 as a ILB but yes, he is a slow stiff. Furthermore he showed off his lack of athleticism at the combine ranking near the top in both the 20 and 60 yard shuttles. Also, he ran a brutal 40YD finishing at 4.65 which was light years behind "All World Athletes" Shaq Thompson and Randy Gregory who both ran 4.64, respectively. That's right, Shaq and Dr. ***** outran Concrete Legs by .01 in the 40. I hope my sarcasm is not insulting any of you rather opening your eyes to the fact that this kid is a pretty decent athlete. He may not be a 4.4 or 4.5 guy but he is a 4.6 guy with wonderful football smarts and knows angles better than most his age. To me the comparisons with Hawk are predictable and lazy. Let's give this kid a chance and see what he can do. I read a few scouts saying how teams would be foolish to pigeonhole him as a "try hard" guy and I would suggest some of you fans exercise the same caution. Welcome to GB Jakester and here's to a great career! This Packer fan believes in you.

G P G!

Serious question, given that you believe he is every bit the athlete that Shaq Thompson and Dr. ***** is, how is it possible that Ryan, whom you insist possesses "wonderful football smarts and knows angles better than most his age" was drafted 3 and 2 rounds later than Thompson & Dr. *****, respectively?

We all hope Ryan is successful in Green Bay, but to pretend he does not have serious physical limitations is simply denying reality.

In fact, Mayock, while generally praising his selection, emphasized Ryan's physical deficiencies: "I followed (Ryan) around a little bit at the East-West game, and he struggled early in man coverage. A little tight in the hips, not a tremendous athlete, but he understands angles, he understands the game." http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ns-jake-ryan-solid-pick-for-packers/26774799/

Just like you did, Mayock highlighted Ryan's understanding of the game as his key attribute. Seems like that was always trumpeted as AJ's biggest contribution to the team.

I stand by the non-lazy comparison of Ryan being a slower AJ Hawk. Hope he turns out to be much more than that.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

G P G!
good post

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did I say that?

More to the point, there are a few people who make these grand declarations about players either positively or negatively and fancy themselves to be experts based on crap they read on the internet or highlight videos on Youtube. Then when a team makes a pick that they don't like, it's the GM who is the idiot who doesn't know anything about the player. I find that to be comical.
I don't think any of that has happened in this thread has it? about this pick? If you can find a single post anywhere i've called thompson an idiot, i'll choke on my own foot

Scouts tend to look at a lot more than 15 plays.

Really? pretty sure I qualified what I was making my statement on. Did you like what you saw in that video?

So, he didn't look elite vs Ohio State so he's a bad pick? How did Melvin and the rest of Wisconsin look vs. Ohio State? One game film vs. elite competition in college does not define an NFL career.

yeah, that's exactly what I said. I don't care about looking "elite", he didn't even look average for a college linebacker. and I chose Ohio state because they are good, what do you think he's going to face in the NFL? Div II caliber players? He was routinely swallowed by blockers if he even engaged them, was taken off his feat and outrun repeatedly. My main point for posting it was I saw all these comments about people wanting him and what all his strengths were supposed to be. i watched him against good talent and he looked anything but the part of an NFL linebacker. You've watched the video and disagree? He took on the qb I think 1 on 1 at one point and was driven back at least 6-8 yards and gave up a first down and I'm supposed to be excited about his tackling ability?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i watched him against good talent and he looked anything but the part of an NFL linebacker. You've watched the video and disagree? He took on the qb I think 1 on 1 at one point and was driven back at least 6-8 yards and gave up a first down and I'm supposed to be excited about his tackling ability?

So you're taking a video that represents about 3% of his work at Michigan and declaring him to be a bum? That makes you more qualified to assess his talent that the entire Packers scouting staff? Really??

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...to pretend he does not have serious physical limitations is simply denying reality.

In fact, Mayock, while generally praising his selection, emphasized Ryan's physical deficiencies: "I followed (Ryan) around a little bit at the East-West game, and he struggled early in man coverage. A little tight in the hips, not a tremendous athlete, but he understands angles, he understands the game."

"Tremendous" is defined as: very great in amount, scale, or intensity.

So if I understand you correctly, you're implying that there's not much difference between "very great" and "serious limitations?"

D

Deleted member 6794

Ryan is a good run defender which he showed against good competition as well. He probably lacks some agility to be able to cover RBs and TEs effectively in the NFL which is why I'm indecisive about this pick. It seems he isn't a great fit to complement Barrington.

Reaction score
Ryan is a good run defender which he showed against good competition as well. He probably lacks some agility to be able to cover RBs and TEs effectively in the NFL which is why I'm indecisive about this pick. It seems he isn't a great fit to complement Barrington.
I read he was good in zone coverage. How common is it that a LBer goes man to man rather than zone against a RB or TE?

D

Deleted member 6794

I read he was good in zone coverage. How common is it that a LBer goes man to man rather than zone against a RB or TE?

The WLB has to cover RBs and TEs man-to-man quite often. Barrington and Ryan are both best suited to play on the strong side though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He needs to get his hair long again before Camp. He looked like Clay!!! Now he looks lik Rudy with his short hair.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're taking a video that represents about 3% of his work at Michigan and declaring him to be a bum? That makes you more qualified to assess his talent that the entire Packers scouting staff? Really??
No, I watched it and said " I hope they saw something I didnt. Which clearly they must have because they picked him. Then I asked people if they like what they saw, did you? Did you appreciate him being de-cleated by blockers? Being one on one with a qb and clearly losing that battle? Its not as if it was just one bad play among a host of strong ones. Maybe he had a bad day, or maybe what is being written doesn't match what's on the tape?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious question, given that you believe he is every bit the athlete that Shaq Thompson and Dr. ***** is, how is it possible that Ryan, whom you insist possesses "wonderful football smarts and knows angles better than most his age" was drafted 3 and 2 rounds later than Thompson & Dr. *****, respectively?

We all hope Ryan is successful in Green Bay, but to pretend he does not have serious physical limitations is simply denying reality.

In fact, Mayock, while generally praising his selection, emphasized Ryan's physical deficiencies: "I followed (Ryan) around a little bit at the East-West game, and he struggled early in man coverage. A little tight in the hips, not a tremendous athlete, but he understands angles, he understands the game." http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ns-jake-ryan-solid-pick-for-packers/26774799/

Just like you did, Mayock highlighted Ryan's understanding of the game as his key attribute. Seems like that was always trumpeted as AJ's biggest contribution to the team.

I stand by the non-lazy comparison of Ryan being a slower AJ Hawk. Hope he turns out to be much more than that.

So not a tremendous athlete is a deficiency?

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I watched it and said " I hope they saw something I didnt. Which clearly they must have because they picked him. Then I asked people if they like what they saw, did you? Did you appreciate him being de-cleated by blockers? Being one on one with a qb and clearly losing that battle? Its not as if it was just one bad play among a host of strong ones. Maybe he had a bad day, or maybe what is being written doesn't match what's on the tape?

He chases down Barrett and shoots a gap for a tfl in the first two minutes of that clip. He gets blocked and clobbered on another couple of plays. Without watching a lot of Michigan football and knowing how goof the players around him are or aren't it's hard for me to judge. It's a mixed bag at worst though. Not a total disaster. Why not give some credit for the good plays?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

See here's the thing. I watched (not read) the exact segment you so eloquently cherry picked and I find it rather odd how you conveniently left out the part where Mayock said he adjusted and got a lot better as the week went on as well. Wait, that blows your post to hell so why on earth would you put that in there, right. Furthermore you quote me and question my comment about him knowing angles yet in the next sentence you throw a Mayock quote in there certifying that what I said isn't my belief, rather Mike Mayocks himself. I am not sure if you meant to make my point for me but regardless I thank you. I am not saying he is pound for pound up there with all the "freak, hybrid" type guys rather putting his athleticism (or lack thereof for some of you) into context. You run the 40YD and the 20/60 yard shuttles in what you run them in. There isn't a "well he played this guy and that guy played them" argument to be made. Every man for himself and it's one athlete at a time running drills against a stop clock. I provided Shaq and Weed Boy for comparisons sake only. Jake Ryan is a white ILB in a pass happy league. The first ILB didn't even go off the board until the end of Round 1 and the Big 12 Defensive POY didn't go until the 3rd round and you are asking me why Ryan didn't go until the 4th? ILB isn't the glamour position it used to be. Speed rushers off the edge are and that's what a guy like Gregory is. Funny how Jake's silly, unimportant, non-relevant combine stats were damn near the same as his. But that's just my bias reading numbers...

Sky King

Reaction score
The Badgers got skunked against Ohio State. Yet, two of the Badgers were chosen early in the first round. Personally, I can't put too much stock into a single game performance. One bad or so-so performance may not provide nearly enough insight. The kid from Michigan may turn out to be pretty good. I sure hope so.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Badgers got skunked against Ohio State. Yet, two of the Badgers were chosen early in the first round. Personally, I can't put too much stock into a single game performance. One bad or so-so performance may not provide nearly enough insight. The kid from Michigan may turn out to be pretty good. I sure hope so.
it wasn't so much about all the players around him, I was focusing on how he handled his assignments. and you're right, it's just one game. Maybe it was his worst one. in WI case, one lineman could win his matchup and still lose the battle along the line. Gordon had nothing going that game, and everybody could see it wasn't because of him. They had a QB that couldn't hit a freaking barn and had one man to defend, Gordon. The Oline got destroyed that game, which isn't that hard to do when you only have one pony to worry about and you're talented on defense. I'm not looking at stats of Ryan in the OH State game to form an opinion. I saw one play I consider pretty average for a linebacker and a whole lot that were nothing close to fitting the bill of a "strong tackler".

But you are right, I hope he turns into a tackling beast. Trust me, I don't want my initial impression to be the correct one and I certainly reserve the right to change my opini0n :)

Members online

Latest posts