It's 5am - and ESPN said......

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I'm no fan of Ted Thompson. I think he set Mike Sherman up to fail so he could clean house. It remains to be seen if the new regime will be any better.

But I also agree, tepidly, with Ted in not overpaying. Go the Mike Florio's ProFootballTalk.com column and read what some very average players are making from the first few days. It reminds me of baseball, where .250 hitters are paid like Willie Mays should have been.

If spending money meant winning, the Vikings and the Redskins should have been contending for the Super Bowl...did I miss something or did the Love Boaters miss the playoffs last year? Weren't the Foreskins "one and done" in the playoffs? Even with Joe Gibbs and all those "wonderful" FA's?

I believe there's a balance there. The Cincinnati's and Arizona's(Browns and Bidwells--you can throw the Saints in there, too) have a notorious 'cheap' reputation. Marvin Lewis got the Bengals to open up and they started winning, and I suspect the same thing will happen in Arizona. But the reality is New England set the table for modern FA. They cleverly signed players who filled a need, but didn't cost an arm and a leg(overpay the market price). Oakland has spent money stupidly on players in the past and don't have much to show for it, except one recent Super Bowl loss.

Buying players doesn't guarantee anything, much like drafting players doesn't guarantee anything. What you need is a balance of meaningful FA signings and clever drafting, coupled with effective coaching.

So far, Ted is so-so, and I'm keeping an open mind about McCarthy, but I still look at the 49'er offense ranked 32nd last year and wonder. I also wonder about the defense without Jim Bates. We will see, won't we?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
net said:
Again, I'm no fan of Ted Thompson. I think he set Mike Sherman up to fail so he could clean house. It remains to be seen if the new regime will be any better.

What evidence do you have that supports this? Personally from what I've seen/read/heard it was Mike Sherman the GM that got Mike Sherman the Coach fired.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
net said:

What evidence do you have that supports this? Personally from what I've seen/read/heard it was Mike Sherman the GM that got Mike Sherman the Coach fired.

hahaha definately. Sherman was a horrible GM.

I like the moves TT made this week and we're not done. There still a lot of quality players to be had.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prioities may be a bit different with T.T., and I'm not a fan of his, but Gb may have had something more pressing to attend to which has never been announced. Or it may have been just a snag in communications as well. eithe way it has apparently worked out for the best as far as i can see right now,

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
net said:

Yeah - I'd have to go along with this, to a point....

One thing in the way you put it, tho', Net... let's read that back again...

"set Sherman up.... to fail....

By that, do you mean he gave him enough rope so he could HANG himself?

Because, that's how I see it, from the getgo - Sherman "could" have taken some very good and friendly advice, before Jags was let go - but he didn't and it just started compounding his failures because of some stupid 'stubborn' streak? At his age?

It's okay if you're not SOLD on Ted Thompson; I really don't think any of are in a total fashion -- truth is, if you look just a bit harder, then you can find fault with EVERYBODY.... that's the easy way out.

I say, after his third year - (for those in Realinda, NJ - that means "after" this 2006 Season...) but, after his third Season with the Pack - Ted Thompson oughta be able to show in his PPT presentation exactly what is left for his SuperBowl Team - which pieces are missing, and HE WILL be on track, as Ron Wolf was. Sure it doesn't look that way now - but it's only the beginning of his 2nd year... where was Ron Wolf at that time?

Do any of you think Ted's gonna drain the piggy bank as we head into the Mini-camps?

You cannot avoid questioning all the money that's just gone out the pike with regards to Teams like the Minnesotas and the Redskins and several others who obviously are trying to "buy" themselves into the Playoffs ala the George Steinbrenner mentality - it happens everytime most Teams get a big payday, like they have this year... And, like we've seen before, many of the BIG money contracts are gonna attract LAZY players, from out of nowhere, as well as the INJURY bug... you just watch!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep reading "I'm not a fan of TT's" all over the place..........why won't people give the guy a chance? I'm not a fan of his yet, but i'm willing to see what he does before i give up on him. I think some people WANT him to fail, JUST so they can go "SEE!?!? SEE!?!?"
Me, i'd rather see him turn out to be the best GM in football!!! I'll give him a chance to do good or fail before i judge the man. It's NOT an easy job being a GM........EVERY move you make, or don't make, gets monday morning quarterbacked to death!
And i DON'T think thats he's a tightwad........after all, it's not like it's HIS money coming out of HIS pocket. But it IS his job to make sure no one makes a "John Hadl" type trade, wasting tons of money.

Members online

No members online now.