Packers News and Notes

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (28) is tackled by Green Bay Packers defensive tackle B.J. Raji (90) ICON Sports Media

Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier doesn't think it's a great idea for the Packers to talk about an undefeated season-at this point.

Charles Woodson said earlier this week it was OK to talk about going 19-0.

Frazier says, "Our goal is to squelch the talk of an undefeated season after Monday night," according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The Vikings coach adds, "it can grow to the point where you lose sight of what your goal is, which is to get to the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. This early, you might not think about [an undefeated season] quite as much, although you hear a lot about it from people outside of your organization."

Frazier played for the Super Bowl champion 1985 Chicago Bears, which began that season 12-0 before losing a Monday Night game to the Miami Dolphins.

-With so much attention recently on the Packers secondary (concern) and the Packers air attack (praise, amazement), analysis of Monday's game against Minnesota has yielded more focus to the game upfront, in the trenches.

-Three weeks ago as the Packers prepared for the Vikings we wondered could Marshall Newhouse contain Vikings defensive end Jared Allen.

Newhouse did OK, Allen finished with two sacks. The Packers seem more confident now.

His coach says that the second-year pro has improved even since that game.

Mike McCarthy says “he is clearly a better player today than he was a couple weeks ago,” according to CBS Sports.

Newhouse could also benefit from the fact Allen won’t be on the Metrodome turf and will be slowed a bit by the grass at Lambeau.

Aaron Rodgers says “He’s not going to be alone. We’re going to make sure we get a presence over there and make sure we find ways to slow [Allen] down a little bit, change the rush angles on him. He’s a great player and he’s going to be coming all game.”

-Was it a bad move before the 2010 season to move B.J. Raji from end to nose tackle and Ryan Pickket from end to nose tackle a good one?

Raji doesn’t think so.

“No, that would be insinuating that what we’re doing now isn’t good enough for me," Raji old the Green Bay Press Gazette. "I’m not trying to make it a me thing, I’m just trying to play what they ask me to play and trying to help us win games”

Pickett disagrees as well, “don’t think (the flip-flop) has anything to do with what’s happening now," he said.

“I think it’s helped us a lot. What are we (ranked) now stopping the run? Higher than we were last year. That’s the reason for it.”

-Adrian Peterson gained 175 yards three weeks ago against the Packers.The Packers need to contain Peterson on the ground Sunday-that goes without saying. But Peterson is also a major threat as a receiver. In the Vikings last game Peterson caught 5 passes for 76 yards including a 19-yard touchdown. He ranks No. 4 in the league in total rushing yards (including a bye week) and is tied for first in the NFL with Eagles RB LeSean McCoy with 9 rushing touchdowns.

-The band Nickelback is scheduled to perform at halftime of the Packers Thankgsiving game in Detroit against the Lions. But not so fast. An online petition opposing the selection of the band generated over 50,000 online “signatures” and has made national headlines for the two Lions fans who created it.

But unfortunately, or fortunately if you are a die-hard Nickelback fan, the NFL came down with a press release confirming the show will go on.

-Defensive end Mike Neal suffered a knee injury during training camp in August which required arthoscopic surgery to repair cartilage. Neal practiced for the first on Thursday doing some light individual drills. He likely won’t play on Monday (though he’s not been ruled out ) . He should be ready to make his return in some capacity in the coming weeks.

Here’s this week’s up to date injury report:

Clay Matthews LB Knee Did Not Participate In Practice --
Morgan Burnett S Hand Full Participation in Practice --
Mike Neal DE Knee Limited Participation in Practice --
Josh Sitton G Knee Limited Participation in Practice --
Chad Clifton T Hamstring Out (Definitely Will Not Play) --
Frank Zombo LB Hamstring Out (Definitely Will Not Play) --

-ESPN NFL analyst Trent Dilfer talks about Aaron Rogers:

"If you close your eyes and just picture your favorite trait of quarterbacking, whatever it is. You name it. Arm strength. Quick release. Mobility. Toughness. Decision making. Throwing on the run. Whatever it is. There's a dozen of them. If you pick one trait, I can almost guarantee you Aaron's the best at whatever trait you pick. That's the most amazing thing to me."

-The Packers ranked No. 2 in local TV ratings for last week's win over the Chargers.

According to the NFL, 76-percent of all TVs in use during Sunday's game in the Milwaukee market were tuned into the game. The game drew a 51.3 household rating in the market, second only to Pittsburgh for the Steelers-Ravens Monday Night game which drew a 53.0 HH rating. According to Nielsen the Household Rating represents the percentage of all TV homes in that local market that tuned in to the games.

-The Packers again top the media power rankings and should probably stay there barring a string of losses to close out the season. The 49ers and Giants are gaining ground. One team somewhat forgotten is the Saints, but they make ESPN's Top 5.

Fox Sports 1. Packers, 49ers Ravens, Steelers, Giants
WalterFootball.com 1. Packers, Ravens, Steelers, 49ers, Giants
National Football Post 1. Packers, Giants, 49ers, Ravens, Lions
CBSSports.com 1. Packers, 49ers, Ravens, Giants and Steelers
ESPN.com 1. Packers, 49ers, Ravens, Steelers, and Saints
ProFootballWeekley 1. Packers, 49ers, Ravens, Steelers, Giants.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts