Nelson signs with Da Raiders

If Jordy signs with the Raiders, should GB go after Crabtree?

• Yes

• No

• Draft another WR

• Focus on defense

Results are only viewable after voting.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has another year on his contract, so a resign at this point would probably be in the form of a restructured deal at a lower per year salary. If they don't do that and eventually release him, I honestly don't see him back in Green Bay. But yes, you are right about new contracts, sometimes it appears the Packers have guys they will not let go off and are willing to overpay. Other players that aren't as valued, it looks to be a game of who will flinch first. If the 2 sides are too far apart, the only 2 choices the Packers have is to overpay or let walk. Would be fun to know how many guys who walk really wanted to stay, but were convinced they would make more elsewhere and how many guys TT thought would be back begging for the offered deal, but signed elsewhere for more or maybe even less.

I realize that, I was talking in general and using Cobb as an example for next year if they simply allow him to play out his contract. We always hear that so and so was offered this by that team but chose to play elsewhere but I wonder how much is really true. I guess after the fact there is no real reason to hide it so why make up something. I guess what I was trying to say is the Packers always seem to either really want their guy and pay him well or they simply say see what you can get somewhere else without making the initial offer. if the offers don't come in then they may make an offer but they don't make the offer first.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
read it somewhere...but i found this... https://thepowersweep.com/blog/packers-jordy-nelson-randall-cobb-contract-restructure-2018

so he's at least open to it.

well that is good news but it not surprising. If Jordy really wants to play for a couple more years I'll bet he would really like them to be in Green Bay. I still say he signs any 2 year extension that is fair. I don't know what fair is but I think he would take less than he thought he might get in FA just to stay.

The thing that stood out to me was the fact that only 3 WRs were 33 years old or older last year. It just doesn't seem right but I guess all you hear about nowadays is the young studs. Even the guys who seem to have been around forever are pretty young comparatively.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess what I was trying to say is the Packers always seem to either really want their guy and pay him well or they simply say see what you can get somewhere else without making the initial offer. if the offers don't come in then they may make an offer but they don't make the offer first.

It seems the Packers set a ceiling on the money they offer to a player headed towards free agency and rarely blink in negotiations afterwards. In my opinion that's a smart way to handle business and has kept the team out of salary cap troubles.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well that is good news but it not surprising. If Jordy really wants to play for a couple more years I'll bet he would really like them to be in Green Bay. I still say he signs any 2 year extension that is fair. I don't know what fair is but I think he would take less than he thought he might get in FA just to stay.

The thing that stood out to me was the fact that only 3 WRs were 33 years old or older last year. It just doesn't seem right but I guess all you hear about nowadays is the young studs. Even the guys who seem to have been around forever are pretty young comparatively.
before the end of last season he said he only wanted to play to the end of 2018 (his contract basically). now he's open to one additional year it seems.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
before the end of last season he said he only wanted to play to the end of 2018 (his contract basically). now he's open to one additional year it seems.

I thought I remember him saying that he definitely wanted to play out his current contract in Green Bay and at the end of it, evaluate playing more or retiring. I think he was intentionally trying to avoid the Favre Waffle.

"This is 10 (years). Obviously one more for sure,”said Nelson. "Everyone wants to end playing out their contract. No one wants to get cut. So I think one more, and then I think at the end of that year I’ll analyze everything, evaluate how I feel, how the game is, and obviously what this organization wants to do."

http://www.12up.com/posts/5931700-j...-possibility-of-retirement-for-the-first-time

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems the Packers set a ceiling on the money they offer to a player headed towards free agency and rarely blink in negotiations afterwards. In my opinion that's a smart way to handle business and has kept the team out of salary cap troubles.
it's hurt them too. it's a double edged sword. there are two dbs and an o-lineman out there that would sure look good on our team.

D

Deleted member 6794

it's hurt them too. it's a double edged sword. there are two dbs and an o-lineman out there that would sure look good on our team.

In hindsight I agree about Hayward and Hyde but don't consider losing either Sitton or Lang as a huge problem.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The downside of cutting him loose, who do you currently have on the roster to replace him with?

No, Jordy probably wouldn't be offered a contract equal to what he is scheduled to make.

However, if he isn't willing to restructure his contract, outright releasing him at this point would be foolish IMO. If the Packers mindset is then to find his replacement, make sure you find that replacement before you release Jordy, otherwise, who takes his spot in the lineup and more importantly, who plays at his level or higher? This is the same with Matthews and Cobb IMO.
If the Packers were to release Jordy, I could see him going to New England and being a huuuuge difference maker.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the Packers were to release Jordy, I could see him going to New England and being a huuuuge difference maker.

Personally, I think Jordy would contribute wherever he goes, but I think there is a good chance that once his time with the Packers is up, he will choose to walk away from the game. I can't imagine that he needs the money and he has always come across as a "family man". Right now his Football family is the Packers and once that is done, I can see him not wanting to risk his health and happily spend the rest of his life with his "real" family.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Personally, I think Jordy would contribute wherever he goes, but I think there is a good chance that once his time with the Packers is up, he will choose to walk away from the game. I can't imagine that he needs the money and he has always come across as a "family man". Right now his Football family is the Packers and once that is done, I can see him not wanting to risk his health and happily spend the rest of his life with his "real" family.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Possibly, but I think Jordy feels as if he's still got some good football left in him. I'm not sure he would consider many teams, but I think he'd consider playing a year or two with Brady for a shot at another ring, if the Packers do indeed decide to move on.

I hope all of this is moot and that both sides come to a solution that's in the best interest of everyone. Bottom line for me, I want Jordy in green and gold.

H

HardRightEdge

For one he’s a Packer in the truest sense..in the mold of Carol Dale.
Carroll Dale spent his last season in Minnesota. If we must reach back 50 years, which we should not, before free agency and the salary cap, then go with Max McGee.

Or just go with Driver.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hunch that no matter how this plays out, Jordy retires after this season.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For one he’s a Packer in the truest sense..in the mold of Carol Dale. 2nd And He didn’t have a quarterback to throw to him, so what is FOOLISH speculating that he’s lost anything?? He’s been hurting last couple years on top of that. If you give him the next season healthy and with a healthy quarterback like Rogers and help me right back up at the top of the league. And your boobs will be silent about him losing anything…You’ll be back on the bandwagon.… Mark my words.

I'm content to leave this in the hands of those who see him everyday in practice, and are likely to have a better handle on what he has left in the tank than the average Packer fan does. Either way, there's no debate that he has been a great player for the Green & Gold over the years. It will be sad when that's all over, whether it's this year or not.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For one he’s a Packer in the truest sense..in the mold of Carol Dale. 2nd And He didn’t have a quarterback to throw to him, so what is FOOLISH speculating that he’s lost anything?? He’s been hurting last couple years on top of that. If you give him the next season healthy and with a healthy quarterback like Rogers and help me right back up at the top of the league. And your boobs will be silent about him losing anything…You’ll be back on the bandwagon.… Mark my words.
I want to keep him and believe we will, but it needs to be at a reduced cost. He can still be a really good player for us but he isn't the same 87 from a couple years back. That's not to say he couldn't hit 1,000 yards and haul in 10+ scores but he will be doing it in a different manner. He doesn't seem to have the same field stretching speed so the deep ball won't be a huge part of his repertoire. He still has amazing hands, fantastic chemistry with 12 and enough speed to do some damage across the middle. I read an article speaking to how he could become another Larry Fitz by working out of the slot more often and using his craftiness to hurt opposing defenses. 17 is the man now and I firmly believe that. He has the makings of a true #1WR and is just coming into his prime. If Jordy is used properly he can be a really nice weapon and I believe that is exactly what we see play out. G P G!

D

Deleted member 6794

I want to keep him and believe we will, but it needs to be at a reduced cost. He can still be a really good player for us but he isn't the same 87 from a couple years back.

FWIW I didn't get the impression the Packers are looking to restructure Nelson's contract during the interviews of Gutekunst and McCarthy at the combine yesterday.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW I didn't get the impression the Packers are looking to restructure Nelson's contract during the interviews of Gutekunst and McCarthy at the combine yesterday.
Yeah, I didn't either. Maybe I am off on this one but he doesn't look to be a 10M WR but what do I know? I love Jordy and want nothing more than him to retire in G&G. As I mentioned earlier, I believe he still has some good ball left in him. I know AR12 was out but 87 essentially disappeared once the injury happened and he seemed to start dropping a lot of gimmes. Jordy's work ethic is above reproach and guys like Gute and MM obviously have a better feel for how much is left in his tank. If they are confident in him then I see no reason I shouldn't be as well. I would like nothing more than 87 to come out and go 77/1,090/12, trust me!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For some reason I think Nelsons deal is the one out of the three they are least worried about. Restructuring would mean wanting to keep him around after this year and maybe they simply are not interested in that. Given Cobb's age and a lesser extent Matthews they may feel a restructure/extension to keep them around for a few more years is warranted.

D

Deleted member 6794

For some reason I think Nelsons deal is the one out of the three they are least worried about. Restructuring would mean wanting to keep him around after this year and maybe they simply are not interested in that.

The Packers restructuring Nelson's contract wouldn't automatically result in the team holding on to him beyond this year but push part of his cap hit into the 2019 season.

Members online

Latest posts