Is the 3-4 here to stay in Green Bay?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting read from PFT, it has almost nothing to do with the Pack but I thought it was intriguing: 3-4 defenses continue to spread | ProFootballTalk.com

Basically with more and more teams moving to the 3-4, over time the 4-3 would be the more confusing D since QBs would get accustomed to the 3-4 over time. My argument is, the 3-4 is such a complex defense that sometimes even the defense players get bogged down trying to fully understand it. So my question is, will the 3-4 defense be the Pack's long term (10-15 years) plan or will we try reverting back to the old system within the same time frame?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers' contract expires soon, so who the hell knows? I like continuity, and we seem to have young players suited to the 3-4 (CM3, Jones, Raji, Wilson and Neal...), but the only constant in the NFL is change.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3/4, 2/5,1/6, 4/3--play 'em all to keep the offense guessing where the pass rushers are coming from. It's all about the rush on the defensive side of the ball.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is here for a while (at least while Capers is in GB) and maybe beyond.

Arguably the two most successful NFL teams over the past 10 years - New England and Pittsburgh - use the 3-4 as their base defense. So, no question the defense has been successful.

The question is why the defense has been so successful. Some possible reasons:
1) the scheme is superior
2) few teams use it so offenses get confused by the change
3) it is easier to get players for the 3-4 because the competition from other NFL teams is less for these players
4) the players are better than on other teams
5) the D coordinators are better than on other NFL teams

Items 2 and 3 figure into the equation as long as a minority of teams use the scheme and I think are part of the reason why it has been successful. I think if the number of teams using the 3-4 remains small, the Packers will stick with it.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In life change and taxes are a sure thing. If MM takes the Pack far into the playoffs or wins the Super Bowl, the 3-4 is here to stay. A coaching change happens who knows.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
For every defensive scheme, someone comes up with an offense to counter it.
For every offensive scheme, someone comes up with a defense to counter it.

The one thing we can count on is change. In the 80's the Redskins made the counter-trey one of the most effective plays in the book. How many run it today on a regular basis? Once teams and coaches see enough of a style of def/off they can design plays to counter them. That's the difference between good coaches and bad coaches.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want our defense to be unique and confuse the offense.
I want smart guys that can play one way in week A & B, but then show something totally different the next week and overwhelm the offense and have them scratching their heads after we anhialate them.

PS: Why is Kansas spelled like that, but Arkansaw not spelled like that?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As QB's get what they might feel as accustomed to the 3-4, there are many more wrinkles in the 3-4 then a 4-3 can provide, that can get a QB uncomfortable...I also believe, please tell me if I'm wrong, that a 4-3 is only as good as the players not so much as the DC, the 3-4 is only as good as the DC and little less then the players...I understand ultimately it comes down to player performance, but it's just an opinion of mine.....belicheck, mike nolan, rex ryan, capers

or

spagnolia, del rio, chuck cecil (jeff fisher), jim mora?

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great responses guys and I agree with what everyone is saying. The Packers will keep the 3-4 as long as it's successful year in and year out. Capers will most likely get a contract extension if TT deems him the right guy to continue coaching the scheme. My only question is, even if Dom gets fired or doesn't get that extension, do we still continue the 3-4 with someone else?

IMO I'd like to have one defense to provide for continuity in a team destined for greatness. But we all know things change in the NFL so unpredictability is the norm. Like the article states, a majority of the league is now running their own versions of the defense. However there are certain teams that are silently reverting to more looks in the old scheme. Belichick is actually trying to replenish some more 4-3 looks into his defensive playbook. With the departure of Richard Seymour and addition of Derrick Burgess, it makes all the more sense. Baltimore and the Jets are actually stressing more of the 4 down lineman look as well. Rex Ryan is implementing some sort of 4-5 5-2 looks into the Jets defense.

Latest posts