Is Rodgers career being squandered in Green Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Rodgers is every bit the equal of Tom Brady but it just seems like the Pats front office is more committed to surrounding him with talent.

Packers don't like paying veterans. So they let em' go pretty readily and replace em' with "good enough"

Rodgers should have more rings. Packers seem stuck at their level.

Nelson, Van Pelt, his trusted QB coach, Sitton, a three time pro-bowler.

I know Rodgers ain't happy. https://nypost.com/2018/03/14/aaron-rodgers-is-just-sad-about-packers-moves/

The Packers front office is getting really pathetic.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers front office has been and currently is committed to surrounding Rodgers with the best talent possible. Unfortunately they haven't been able to put together a talented roster from top to bottom for quite some time now. I agree the team should have won more than one Super Bowl with #12 starting.

OP
OP
Mklangelo

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced the Packers front office has been and currently is committed to surrounding Rodgers with the best talent possible. Unfortunately they haven't been able to put together a talented roster from top to bottom for quite some time now. I agree the team should have won more than one Super Bowl with #12 starting.
Well, I don't think the evidence shows that commitment. They don't like paying veterans and they don't do free agency. So it's all draft and develop, which they are pretty good at, but as soon as somebody gets veteran status, it isn't long til they get shown the door.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, I don't think the evidence shows that commitment. They don't like paying veterans and they don't do free agency. So it's all draft and develop, which they are pretty good at, but as soon as somebody gets veteran status, it isn't long til they get shown the door.

The Packers definitely pay veterans they deem to be worthy of a second or third contract. In addition they have added Graham, Wilkerson and Williams in free agency. With the salary cap in place there's only a limited amount of mone available to sign players.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT & DC probably ruined AR12's career in long run. New management at least looks to be doing something. Fingers crossed.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, I’ve never seen this take before! Very fresh.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you see how those are conflicting statements? I don't see how FA can be completely ignored for such a long period of time, yet the claim can be made that the FO has done everything that they could.

I'd make the argument that our FO has been one of the worst in the league over the past few years, if you consider the poor draft classes, hemorrhaging cheap talent which has been very successful with other teams, and bringing in nothing of substance over the past few seasons via FA. If you let a player walk to immediately become an All-Pro elsewhere, in two consecutive seasons, you have a room full of idiots running the place

Reaction score
I wonder how the Packers and other teams view the term "veterans"?
Salary, talent, age or all the above.
I'm thinking anytime they see a way to improve a team, they take a gamble and make adjustments,
even if it means hard feelings with the personal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think one thing that people keep forgetting about is just how difficult it is to keep a team at the top year after year in the NFL. The Patriots and the Packers seem to be 2 teams that have managed to do that and it probably is mostly due to both teams having FHOF QB's. I give the nod to the Patriots for having the better GM, which keeps them just a notch above the Packers.

With success each year comes a late spot in each round of the draft. Not just first round, every round. Trying to improve with that handicap each year isn't easy. This and the salary cap are what helps to try and maintain some sort of parity in the league and for the most part, it has.

Fans need to enjoy the success that the Packers have had for a pretty long time now. Without Rodgers, we could quite easily have been one of those teams who just can't field a competitive team for a myriad of reasons or a team that strikes it big 1-2 years and than slowly fades back into the pack.

I know, never strive to be like the competition, but I think the Packers organization deserves more credit than they get from some. For a long time now, they have put a quality product on the field and are doing that despite the draft obstacles they face by being a consistent winner.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you see how those are conflicting statements? I don't see how FA can be completely ignored for such a long period of time, yet the claim can be made that the FO has done everything that they could.

I'd make the argument that our FO has been one of the worst in the league over the past few years, if you consider the poor draft classes, hemorrhaging cheap talent which has been very successful with other teams, and bringing in nothing of substance over the past few seasons via FA. If you let a player walk to immediately become an All-Pro elsewhere, in two consecutive seasons, you have a room full of idiots running the place

While Hayward and Hyde leave a terrible taste in my mouth, I think the Packers have been very good at identifying the right time to move on from players. A few that come to mind... Jennings, James Jones, Scott Wells, EDS (to a certain extent), Mike Neal, Datone Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh good, this debate! Again.

Hey it only comes up 6 times during the offseason and once after every game, win or lose.

It's either this or "Fire Capers!" Choose your poison.

BTW, Rodgers is having a great career. He is about to be made the highest paid player in the NFL, FHOF, 1 Super Bowl ring, SB MVP, 2 time NFL MVP, 6 X Pro Bowler, 2011 AP Athlete of the year.....I am guessing 99% of the players who have played in the NFL would have loved to have their careers squandered in such a way.

Now maybe a more constructive argument would be "Ways the Packers could improve". But why talk about that in a fan forum? :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This thread should either be locked or merged with any number of other threads. Talk about beating a dead horse.

LOL....Screenshot! You are proposing a thread lock down? :eek:

Isn't this topic basically intertwined into just about every thread, including "What are you listening to now"?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....Screenshot! You are proposing a thread lock down? :eek:

Isn't this topic basically intertwined into just about every thread, including "What are you listening to now"?
lol yeah I saw the irony as a was posting it.... I am just very tired of having the same argument in... as you said "every thread in the forum". But for consitency... I take it back... don't lock it... I will just ignore it lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
lol yeah I saw the irony as a was posting it.... I am just very tired of having the same argument in... as you said "every thread in the forum". But for consitency... I take it back... don't lock it... I will just ignore it lol.

Maybe one of the highly paid Mods can be put in charge of taking a post like this and distributing it into each and every occurence of said topic.

I nominate Buggy! :coffee::whistling::roflmao:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I want a list of the good Packers draft picks that weren't given second contracts over Rodgers' career. Because that claim that they "don't like to pay veterans" is trash.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I’m confused at what the point of this thread is. You think the Packers front office is deliberately sabotaging Aaron Roders? Yes, AR would have probably 8 Super Bowls if he played for Bill Bellichick. But I really can’t name another team he would have won more than 1 with by now. No other team is a dynasty like the Pats. Maybe Seattle or Denver would have given him 2?

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want a list of the good Packers draft picks that weren't given second contracts over Rodgers' career. Because that claim that they "don't like to pay veterans" is trash.

I think that has been what the Packers have done best over the seasons is retaining their home grown stars.

If you think about guys that we let walk over the seasons.

Earliest I can see looking throughout the seasons is 2006 draft Daryn Colledge who was replaced by TJ Lang.

* 2006 Draft Greg Jennings? He got a second contract from us. But him leaving allowed Nelson and Cobb to thrive and Jennings showed nothing for MN.

* 2007 Draft at best you could argue James Jones who also got a second contract and didn't come close to the impact with Oakland that he had with Green Bay. We eventually brought him back on a cheaper contract one season later. Was a total win for the FO.

*2008 Draft Matt Flynn? We all know how that ended up for Seattle giving him the pay day.

*2008 Draft Josh Sitton? He was rewarded a second contract with us. Some will argue we should have paid him. He would argue that. But one thing we have always drafted well is offensive line under TT. I still feel good about letting him walk.

*2008 Draft Jordy Nelson? He got a second contract but it looks questionable certainly but everyone saw how bad he played without AR12 last season and he is well past the prime of his career.

*2009 Draft TJ Lang? Also given a second contract with us. Another Sitton situation. We draft well at oline and he was heading for a pay day.

*2010 Draft Morgan Burnett? Jury is still out on whether he plays great elsewhere and how good Jones and Brice can be. Outside chance we still draft a safety too.

*2011 Draft Davon House? lol FO won big here when Jax paid out the *** for him.

*2012 Draft Casey Hayward? This is about the best case someone can bring up but when it happened everyone was certainly fine with him leaving. Helps that he plays secondary behind a pass rush that includes Ingram and Bosa. Also remember that we retained Daniels and Perry from this draft.

*2013 Draft Datone Jones? Amounted to nothing once he left.

*2013 Draft Eddie Lacy? Couldn't even make it a season with the Seahawks.

*2013 Draft JC Tretter? Replaced by Corey Linsley.

*2013 Draft Micah Hyde? Still up for debate. He wasn't going to move to safety for us and that is where he plays for Buffalo now.

*2014 Draft nothing lost of real value.

*2015 Draft Damarious Randall? Another one up for debate still.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*2013 Draft Micah Hyde? Still up for debate. He wasn't going to move to safety for us and that is where he plays for Buffalo now.

*2014 Draft nothing lost of real value.

*2015 Draft Damarious Randall? Another one up for debate still.

My issue with this is the FO has used 5 top picks on DB in these drafts and it's still a major problem. Constantly having to stock this defense has created the lack of depth issue on offense.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Maybe one of the highly paid Mods can be put in charge of taking a post like this and distributing it into each and every occurence of said topic.

I nominate Buggy! :coffee::whistling::roflmao:

I'm too busy counting my money
:p

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue with this is the FO has used 5 top picks on DB in these drafts and it's still a major problem. Constantly having to stock this defense has created the lack of depth issue on offense.

I think the issue has largely been Dom Capers blitz blitz blitz scheme rather than our picks. That and injuries to Matthews/Perry and also losing Peppers hurt as well. I think we certainly need to find a pass rusher in this draft at some point and we have to hope that Gilbert continues to make strides like he did at the end of the season. Pass rushing helps mask weaknesses in secondaries. And a quality defensive scheme does as well. Capers was too aggressive and made poor adjustments in gameplans. I hope to see something better from Pettine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts