Is No. 80 a No. 1?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

Even on bad football teams, players produce and put up gaudy statistics. No one has done that better for the 0-2 Green Bay Packers than receiver Donald Driver, who has 15 catches for 249 yards, a 16.6-yard average.

Only two players — Amani Toomer of the New York Giants and Marvin Harrison of the Indianapolis Colts — have more receptions than Driver. But just barely. Toomer has two more and Harrison one more.

Only one player — Laveranues Coles of the New York Jets — has more receiving yards than Driver. Again, just barely. Coles has 4 more yards than Driver.

What that makes Driver is open for debate. He's either a good player because he's on a bad team with few other weapons, or he's just a good player, period.

There are still those around the NFL who doubt Driver is worthy of being tabbed a No. 1 receiver because he's not the flashiest or quickest or biggest or strongest guy in the league.

If how other teams treat Driver is any indication, then the Packers' first two opponents, the Chicago Bears and New Orleans Saints, didn't consider Driver as such because they rarely double-teamed him.

"They haven't yet, but we anticipate that (teams) probably are going to try," Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "Driver's been unbelievably productive (and) explosive for us, and I hope it continues."

Driver, who's in his eighth NFL season, has been a starter for five years, but he often has been overshadowed by the Packers' other receiver.

In 2002, it was Terry Glenn. All Driver did was post 14 more catches than Glenn on his way to his first 1,000-yard season.

In 2003, the Packers drafted Javon Walker in the first round, but Driver easily outperformed Walker.

In 2004, when Walker had his breakout season with 89 catches, 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns, Driver almost matched him catch for catch and ended up with 84 receptions, 1,208 yards and nine touchdowns.

Finally, last season, after Walker went down with a season-ending knee injury in Week 1, Driver had the spotlight all to himself. All he did was post career highs of 86 catches and 1,221 yards.

The problem was, the Packers went 4-12 and almost nobody noticed.

Despite ranking fifth in the NFC in receptions and seventh in yards, Driver was not selected to the Pro Bowl. Perhaps that's because the perception was that because the Packers were so often playing from behind, they had no choice but to throw more than usual. Or perhaps it's because Driver came into to the NFL as a seventh-round pick.

"Once a guy gets stereotyped, it sticks," Packers cornerback Al Harris said. "Before I got here, I was never supposed to be an every-down guy. I was only supposed to be a No. 3 corner. I think (Driver) is legit. When they throw him the ball, he makes things happen. I think when a guy gets 1,000 yards receiving, that makes him a No. 1 receiver."

Driver is the Packers' go-to guy. That was ensured when they traded the unhappy Walker to Denver in the offseason.

At 31, an age when some players begin to show their years, Driver hasn't shown any signs of declining. His versatility was on display last week against the Saints, when he caught eight passes for 153 yards.

In the first quarter, he caught a short pass, used a spin move to fake out safety Josh Bullocks and then ran by cornerback Josh Craft for a 48-yard completion.

"That route was a 4-yard pass, and he turned it into a (48)-yard gain," Jagodzinski said.

As impressive was a running, over-the-shoulder catch on a corner route in traffic for a 22-yard gain in the third quarter.

"I'd take him anyplace I'd go," Jagodzinski said. "As far as being a No. 1 receiver, yeah he is. Just take a look at his production right now. It's as good as any guy in the league."

Newly acquired receiver Koren Robinson said: "Everybody has their own opinion, but I don't know how you can say that he's not a No. 1 receiver when all the dude does is go out there and make plays like he did last week. He's our No. 1 right now, and I wouldn't contest that."

Quarterback Brett Favre clearly has a trust in and a feel for Driver that he doesn't have with any other receiver on the roster. Though Driver doesn't have a touchdown catch yet this season, he has 26 of them in his career from Favre. Only Antonio Freeman (with 57), Sterling Sharpe (41) and Robert Brooks (32) have more from Favre.

"My thing is, I love criticism," Driver said. "Criticism makes me play harder. No one thought I'd be a top receiver in this league. I think I've proven that four years in a row."

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's our #1 WR. The GB Packers are an NFL team. We are in an NFL league. Hmmmmm...I guess that makes Driver a #1 WR in the NFL. Case closed.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
He's our #1 WR. The GB Packers are an NFL team. We are in an NFL league. Hmmmmm...I guess that makes Driver a #1 WR in the NFL. Case closed.

Hmmmm I don't see the connection you're making.... :lol:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His stats are amongst the best in the league, he is a multi-1000 yards/season performer, and he does everything. This question was actually answered several seasons ago, in my opinion.

People always question his size, but I don't see Steve Smith or Marvin Harrison out-muscling DBs....which is the apparent knock on Driver in the media......nope....these guys just find open spots with speed and precise route running. For shame!

G0dLivesInGreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver has great stats. But I have a mental block on this guy being all-pro. The reason is that once in awhile the ball goes through this guy's hands. We saw it in the NO where it should have been a TD. Maybe it's Brett's fault for drilling it that hard.

I think Driver can catch any ball using his body and hands, but when he only has to use his hands, every once in awhile it goes through and sometimes sails to the defense for a INT.

I think I'm one of those that is afraid to fly because I saw one plane crash on TV. There's a term for that I learned in my psych class.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
DD drops very few balls....a receiver is going to have a few here and there.

I agree....you always notice when a receiver on your team does it. T.O., Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison...they all drop passes from time to time. You just kind of overlook it because they don't play for your team.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I agree with the fact that he drops balls sometimes and it bugs me when he does it. Driver is our number one reciever though no doubt. On a different team I dont think he would be(depending on the team). He gets more attention and more oppertunities than any of our other recievers do-- and so deserving-- but put him on a different team where it wasnt concentrated on him so much and im sure his numbers wouldn't be up there.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One other thing I forgot to mention about Driver is his attitude. I will take him as our number one if for no other reason than his leadership. It is second to none i believe on the packers. Great guy to have in the locker room!

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think DD has definately become a #1 but I can only imagine what he'd do if he had an equally talented or better receiver taking pressue and coverage off him. Half his catches seem to be slants caught in double coverage.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did about the same when Walker had his big year. Although I dont know who the defenses were paying more attention to....Walker or Driver? In either case it sure as hell helped Favre out! I hope thats what we see eventually with Robinson.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
digsthepack said:

I agree....you always notice when a receiver on your team does it. T.O., Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison...they all drop passes from time to time. You just kind of overlook it because they don't play for your team.

Excellent post!

This is one of the biggest types of misperception that causes the greatest amount of over reaction amongst fans.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after 2 games D. Driver has 250 yrds , and is without a doubt a #1 NFL WR

Jennings is very talented, If Fergie could just step up and make some big plays, we would have a solid WR corp.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm wondering is what it will take for Driver to make the Pro Bowl again? Will have have to have 1300+ yards? If so, I think this year he'll make the team. I'd love to see him get the recognition he deserves.

And if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl, what will it take to make the "experts" shut up about him not being a true #1 receiver?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts