Is MM a winner?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a researcher but I know we have them here. GIVEN that MM as the HC is hugely responsible for putting the Packers in position as favorites or underdogs in BIG games.... my question is this?

Has Green Bay under MM .... since winning the Super Bowl.... Won more games where they were NOT favored? ... of LOST where they were favored?

Patrick J. Costello

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course he is a winner, but so was Mike Shaerman. The next level is that elite level. Lombardi, Shula, Belichhek, Landry, Bud Grant, Marv Levy. Probably others I am missing.
I judge his weaknesses would be choosing staff as well as holding them accountable. Too one dimensional as HC. Mongo call plays.
Cowers won one SB and lasted 14 years.
Just thinking and hoping for a fresh start

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody with AR would be a winner and get their team into the playoffs. Without AR, MM has gone 5-10-1 in the 16 games AR missed due to broken colar bones in 2013, 2017. That's a record that will habitually get you into last place. I think the sample size is large enough to conclude that at best MM is an average coach.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody with AR would be a winner and get their team into the playoffs. Without AR, MM has gone 5-10-1 in the 16 games AR missed due to broken colar bones in 2013, 2017. That's a record that will habitually get you into last place. I think the sample size is large enough to conclude that at best MM is an average coach.
But they are 5-5 in the last 10 AR did not start which is a common theme I have heard which is that GB is a .500 team without Rodgers. I have a problem with Tolzien's record being included in the example. He was a third string practice squad guy dumped into a position he was not ready for. History has proven he never would have been ready.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe AR would suck if not for MMs ability to develop QBs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not a researcher but I know we have them here. GIVEN that MM as the HC is hugely responsible for putting the Packers in position as favorites or underdogs in BIG games.... my question is this?

Has Green Bay under MM .... since winning the Super Bowl.... Won more games where they were NOT favored? ... of LOST where they were favored?

The Packers have a record of 10-23 (.303, 25th in the league) as an underdog since 2011 while winning 78.2% (68-19-1, 2nd) of the games when being favored.

In my opinion the Packers record without Rodgers mostly indicates the team lacks overall talent.

But they are 5-5 in the last 10 AR did not start which is a common theme I have heard which is that GB is a .500 team without Rodgers. I have a problem with Tolzien's record being included in the example. He was a third string practice squad guy dumped into a position he was not ready for. History has proven he never would have been ready.

While you might have a point when talking about McCarthy's record without Rodgers those games should definitely be included when evaluating him as he completely botched the situation at backup quarterback in 2013.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a nice misuse of statistics. First of all statistically (since you chose to use the words "sample size) 16 is an extremely small number to draw a conclusion. Second, all of those games were played with back up QBs ... again that makes it very difficult to draw a conclusion. Would you make a judgement on an NFL coach after a single season knowing he played those 16 games with 4 or 5 DIFFERENT backup QBs? I wouldn't. Yeah I know some teams have been successful with backup QBs .... Many more have not .. including many coached by coaches that were considered to be very good.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a nice misuse of statistics. First of all statistically (since you chose to use the words "sample size) 16 is an extremely small number to draw a conclusion. Second, all of those games were played with back up QBs ... again that makes it very difficult to draw a conclusion. Would you make a judgement on an NFL coach after a single season knowing he played those 16 games with 4 or 5 DIFFERENT backup QBs? I wouldn't. Yeah I know some teams have been successful with backup QBs .... Many more have not .. including many coached by coaches that were considered to be very good.
Can MM coach his team up in order to compensate for a back up qb and get the back ups to avoid the big mistakes that cost games? Zimmer did it this year with Keenun going 10-3. MM struggled. That's what mediocre coaches would do. 16 games is a full season in the NFL and is a large enough sample to make decisions. Ron Wolf canned Ray Rhodes after 16 games.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can MM coach his team up in order to compensate for a back up qb and get the back ups to avoid the big mistakes that cost games? Zimmer did it this year with Keenun going 10-3. MM struggled. That's what mediocre coaches would do. 16 games is a full season in the NFL and is a large enough sample to make decisions. Ron Wolf canned Ray Rhodes after 16 games.
Lol .... I knew Ray Rhodes would get mentioned... I think he had somebody named Favre at QB not 4 or 5 different backups.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is an offensive-minded coach whose record is 1-11, and the 1 was the year where the defense carried the team. That was also the year where the Packers made the playoffs due to a miraculous punt return TD by the Eagles (vs Giants) as time expired.

Even the 1 time when McCarthy did win, it wasn't because of him. He has lost countless times due to conservative & idiotic playcalling. Some of this does fall on Capers but McCarthy also has the authority to fire him, which has yet to occur.

As a head coach, McCarthy is as far from a winner as you can get. Not to mention he has accomplished this miraculous fear with pissibky the greatest QB to ever play the game. It is time for a change.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time for a change. I believe he can set up a decent offense, but he cannot call a game. Just like last week and while Rodgers was out, the run game and short passing game were working wonders, and he decides to air it out every play with a couple of guys not prepared to do so. And no telling what his reluctance to fire Capers has cost us.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course he is a winner, but so was Mike Shaerman. The next level is that elite level. Lombardi, Shula, Belichhek, Landry, Bud Grant, Marv Levy. Probably others I am missing.
I judge his weaknesses would be choosing staff as well as holding them accountable. Too one dimensional as HC. Mongo call plays.
Cowers won one SB and lasted 14 years.
Just thinking and hoping for a fresh start

Mike Sherman and MM should not be in the same sentence. Mike Sherman inherited a team that was ascending with Favre at peak powers. MM built his brand with a young impressionable Rodgers, and helped mold him into a "Sniper". I'm not a huge MM fan, but respect MM has garnered.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MM is somewhat an average coach, however not because of his record sans Rodgers. His teams are always competitive and professional. Much respect. However, what makes him middling or average, is his inability to properly adjust to adversity. He doesn't change his game script very well with changes in personnel. He fails to adjust during the game. I thought with Hundley, especially in the Baltimore game, there could've been more bootlegs and run/pass options called. I respect MM, he is (in my opinion) above-average. He is not elite, but there is no reason he shouldn't be.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Sherman and MM should not be in the same sentence. Mike Sherman inherited a team that was ascending with Favre at peak powers. MM built his brand with a young impressionable Rodgers, and helped mold him into a "Sniper". I'm not a huge MM fan, but respect MM has garnered.

It feels like ever since the 2014 Seattle game, he seems to make so many questionable decisions.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It feels like ever since the 2014 Seattle game, he seems to make so many questionable decisions.

It could be because of the 2014 NFC title game that MM has made so many questionable decisions. Knocking on the door of the Super Bowl, "playing percentages". Either the game is too conservative (run on 1st and 2nd, 3rd and long pass play call) or too aggressive at the wrong time (wrong play-call, package, or personnel grouping). Its kind of like MM has not mastered the feel for the flow of a game.

Members online

Latest posts