Is Matthews Cooling Off?

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his first two seasons, he was a beast. It seems like he is cooling off a bit in the first two games this season. Or do you guys think that people know what Matthews can do and is figuring him out more? Which has probably he doesn't have that many sacks at the moment. Because, i believe in the first two or three games last year, he had like six sacks.

Reaction score
No. After going to the Carolina game, Matthews would get so much pressure every time. Cam Newton had to throw faster than he had to just because of Matthews pressure... Also Matthews had 2 or 3 tackles that would have been sacks if Newton didn't fall forward.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Matthews may be pacing himself a little more, plus didn't he have an injury in the offseason?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
He seems to turn it on when it counts though. Teams know where he is lining up and are scheming against him.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mor4les is on it..... the team erred when they banked on Mike Neal magically staying (getting and staying) healthy and providing that interior pass rush. Cullen Jenkins was as good as ANYONE in the NFL at getting interior pass rush. It forced more attention on his spot.

Also, they refuse to bring in a big league OLB opposite Matthews. It worked with Zombo and Walden last year, 2 street guys.

But imagine a legit beast there. It would open up things for Clay so much more, and free up the double-A-gap blitzes from Bishop & AJ Hawk.

Reaction score
Clay is fine. He gets double teamed a lot. When he finally does get to the pass rusher the ball is already out. He was our only factor for the pass rush for the first 2 games. Don't worry about Clay

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Force is still strong with Clay Matthews. You may not see it in terms of stats (sacks, tackles), but his mere presence is felt. Just having him lined up is disruptive to the O-line. I also think in part, teams are game planning for him a little better, double coverage. But even that works to our advantage because it frees up somebody else.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn't producing the kind of numbers he started out last year with. But to be honest those numbers were freakish. But numbers dont tell the whole story. Once we can find someone who can create pressure (Bj Raji showed some) maybe if so'oto comes back he can make a bit of an impact. Right now I think clay is playing as good as he ever has just isnt getting the final product as much as he was last year

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen many times in the first two games that teams are using a tight end, right tackle AND a running back on one play to stop clay matthews. Teams have to scheme against him and having a tight end chip or stay into block makes other defenders free. Cullen Jenkins was a huge loss, he really is one of the top defensive linemen in the NFL, but Clay and our defense will be fine, even if clay isn't getting the glamour stats (sacks).

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He trailed off last season most likely due to his injury. But I feel its too early to look at his sack count and base his production off of that. Still, at the end of the season he should have no excuse to not be one of the top linebackers in the league. Its not like Ware is surrounded with a ton of talent. If you are a top blitzing linebacker you will get yours.

TheDreamDoctor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What?! cooling off?! I dont know what youre watching but he is the only one getting pressure on the quarterback! just because he is not starting off like the last 2 years get off his back!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't think there's a single thing wrong with Clay. It's a long season. He started last season with 6 sacks but then his count slowed. He's still disruptive and there isn't a play in which the opposing team doesn't have to account for him.

chaburns43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to hear anything about us not resigning Cullen Jenkins. yeah he was great for us and i love the guy but TT will never sign someone to a contract that takes them past their prime, nor will he go out and sign a big name to play opposite clay. thats just not the GM that he is and i am A-Okay with that.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread frankly offends me and the Norse god, himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he went from the ****'s Sporting Good's store to your house and blew you up. jk. In all seriousness... he is not cooling off. The guy is a honey badger. I remember seeing him today 1) hit an outside move, then 2) an inside spin and finally 3) put his hands up on Newton's pump fake all in a matter of seconds. The guy is relentless.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to hear anything about us not resigning Cullen Jenkins. yeah he was great for us and i love the guy but TT will never sign someone to a contract that takes them past their prime, nor will he go out and sign a big name to play opposite clay. thats just not the GM that he is and i am A-Okay with that.

there is a difference between a big name and big playmaker, which we still don't have opposite clay. We could signed cullen to a very reasonable contract that rewarded him for his play on the field, nothing wrong with that. Just because TT does it does not mean its the correct move, GM's, like fans, are not perfect.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
there is a difference between a big name and big playmaker, which we still don't have opposite clay. We could signed cullen to a very reasonable contract that rewarded him for his play on the field, nothing wrong with that. Just because TT does it does not mean its the correct move, GM's, like fans, are not perfect.
Hey okc, So you say that we have neither a big name nor a big playmaker and that signing a big name doesn't make for a big playmaker right? I agree.
So where did TT miss? I'm thinking if he knew of a big playmaker he'd have signed him right? As a fellow fan I'm hoping you have a name in mind when you refer to a playmaker.
I acknowledge that you're not an NFL GM and that we all as human beings are fallible but I'd sure appreciate your input into what you think might have been done?
The popular opinion is of course to resign Jenkins. Yet the jury is still out on that one, Jenkins might find himself injured and Neal might still prove to be the steal of last year's draft. Just for conversation's sake, who would you have left of the Packers opening day roster to have room for Jenkins? Remember that anybody left off the opening day roster had to clear waivers to make it to the practice squad.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could go on about how I feel about Clay right now, but people won't like me.

I'll just say he has disappeared in both games for LONG stretches and that is worrysome. I will say it seems like he is getting dropped in coverage a lot more, but maybe that's just me.

I keep seeing people say he got a lot of pressure, I missed that. I didn't see much at all but I'm going to rewatch. The one late sack remember was not due to pressure, but Newton stepping up and to Clay.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Hey okc, So you say that we have neither a big name nor a big playmaker and that signing a big name doesn't make for a big playmaker right? I agree.

That sentence made my head hurt. :)

...who would you have left of the Packers opening day roster to have room for Jenkins?

Despite the fact that Jones might blossom into a reliable receiver some day, we are soooooo overloaded at that position-- especially in contrast with the D-line, I was expecting TT to sign Jenkins instead of Jones.

And if TT really wanted to keep Jones, then my vote would have been to cut Crabtree.

It's all moot now.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sentence made my head hurt. :)

Despite the fact that Jones might blossom into a reliable receiver some day, we are soooooo overloaded at that position-- especially in contrast with the D-line, I was expecting TT to sign Jenkins instead of Jones.

And if TT really wanted to keep Jones, then my vote would have been to cut Crabtree.

It's all moot now.

lol, most of his sentences make my head hurt - you are right though it's a moot point. Also saying that we don't have a big playmaker opposite of clay doesn't always mean that one was readily available, I hope that is easily understood. To the point of saying cullen could get hurt...well yes, aaron rodgers could get hurt, charles woodson could get hurt, nick collins could get hurt, hell anything could happen. That is a very weak argument and I hope you see that. Jenkins is missed, when good players leave they are usually missed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts