Is Matthews Cooling Off?

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, 2 games in and we're pushing the panic button? Last year when he got 6 sacks in the first 2 games it was an anomaly that would have put him on pace for 48 sacks. He made the big play to stop the touchdown at the end, that was good enough this week.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sacks are a glamour stat and most often do not tell the whole story. If sacks alone determine if a player is cooling off, perhaps he will "bounce back" against a terrible Bears offensive line.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Well he is having to deal with double and triple teams because we don't really have a penetration threat anywhere else. I am sure that capers was having him spy newton yesterday quite a bit. He had 4 solo sacks and one assist. He is always in on the big plays and he is relentless. Fingers crossed that Neal and S'oto give our D that punch again. Maybe that will help the secondary out. They are the ones I am worried about. They have been torched for almost 800 yds in the first two games.

But when a good QB has time to sit in the pocket that's going to happen. If we are going to have success next week we are going to have to get after Cutler.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, as everyone else has said: CM3 is doing fine. Teams are definitely gameplanning for him, just like they did for most of last year, too. They often roll out away from him, run away from him, or put two lineman, a lineman and a TE, or even 3 blockers on him. And despite all of that, he's STILL making plays! I would like to say pressure from more people than just him, though.

The one thing I will say about him, though, is that he needs to break down when he gets to the backfield. The dude seems to fall/slide around more than anyone else in the league when he gets to the backfield. If he could just slow down a tad when he gets back there, break down, and put a hand on the ballcarrier rather than sliding by him, he could probably double his huge plays!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
That sentence made my head hurt. :)

Despite the fact that Jones might blossom into a reliable receiver some day, we are soooooo overloaded at that position-- especially in contrast with the D-line, I was expecting TT to sign Jenkins instead of Jones.

And if TT really wanted to keep Jones, then my vote would have been to cut Crabtree.

It's all moot now.
I agree it's a convoluted thought process but I'm only trying to clarify the statement that we have neither a "name" playmaker or a "real" playmaker. I was pointing out that okc didn't get the fact the neither was available as TT had graded them.
It's pretty simple though if you take a minute to think about it. The Packers don't sign "name" free agents, they develop them. So since okc doesn't see a "real" playmaker one would think we should sign one, yet we all agree that there were none available better than the group we have.
The obvious core of this discussion is the unsigning of Cullen Jenkins which is still an enigma. We just don't know how he will do this year. THAT is the single premise of my question to okc.
You know, if you had been standing by the sidelines while the Hindenburg burned you would have been perceived as smart to consider that air travel was dead. And most people would have agreed with you. But in hindsight it didn't make one iota of difference. And you would have been wrong.
I'm only pointing out that okc wants to question an NFL general manager but he might be a little short in the overall long term picture. He/She has shown the tendency to argue a point when conceding makes more sense.

Reaction score
Yeah, as everyone else has said: CM3 is doing fine. Teams are definitely gameplanning for him, just like they did for most of last year, too. They often roll out away from him, run away from him, or put two lineman, a lineman and a TE, or even 3 blockers on him. And despite all of that, he's STILL making plays! I would like to say pressure from more people than just him, though.

The one thing I will say about him, though, is that he needs to break down when he gets to the backfield. The dude seems to fall/slide around more than anyone else in the league when he gets to the backfield. If he could just slow down a tad when he gets back there, break down, and put a hand on the ballcarrier rather than sliding by him, he could probably double his huge plays!
I think this is where getting experience will help Clay. For all the noise he has made these past couple of seasons he is still very young and he will learn these things as he gets older.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so confused by DevilDon's thinking, it really boggles my mind. The only point I will address, because I am honestly getting sick of arguing with someone who is intellectually inferior, is the fact that we do know what cullen jenkins is capable of - if you don't understand that simple point then might I suggest a minnesota vikings forum. We have the smartest fans in the NFL but there are always a few weirdos.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to go with, NO. More teams are game planning specifically for him to stop his rush. There is a lot more film out there on Matthews now a days...
Dont get me wrong, I think Clay is a top 3 OLB in the league, but dont you think the best way to counter that kind of game plan is to have another great pass rusher?
Speaking off I would really like to see So'oto oposite to CM3 and see how that work.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
3 sacks by the defense today. A LOT of pressure. Only 3 points allowed. Can we put this "weak defense" idea to rest?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Heck ya he's cooling off!!! Every single game he's hosing himself down with that gatorade bottle....

LOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!!!:p

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm telling you we have a two headed serpent. Rodgers and Matthews. They defuse the opposition. Without them we are very good but not of championship caliber. TT hit a home run with these two guys.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took this photo today of an amazing stat. It shows Matthews is doing his job.
Crappy Blackberry camera, but this still illustrates Clay's work. Let's hear it for the funky white boy!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts