1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ladarius Green the BEST addition we could make?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Crockett&Tubbs, Feb 5, 2016.

?

Would TE Ladarius Green be the best addition to the Packers this UFA season?

1. Yes

78.9%
  2. No, then WHO. If you click this NO, then name YOUR guy you'd try to SIGN $

21.1%
  1. Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    We all know we need an injection of talent at TE, as well as ILB.
    Looking at the possible UFA tight ends and ILBs, I don't see anyone who could boost this team any more than Ladarius Green.

[​IMG]

Can you name another guy who could?

I seriously doubt this guy will break the bank. He wasn't a super high draft pick, and he hasn't put up big numbers. Of course, he's been behind Antonio Gates. But he has displayed Jermichael Finley-PLUS ability.

I am factoring in ECONOMICS, and realizing that we never go after the big marquee free agents. I hope San Diego tries to keep Gates, and allows Ladarius to sign elsewhere.

This guy can boost our offense like steroids. He's faster than some of our WRs (current #89 James Jones at least).... he's taller than Finley was. And he's young, and a clean guy off the field. Perfect addition.

Sign him.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/12/ladarius-green.gif

We have had some goalline and red zone problems. The 0-4 vs Chicago from the 8-yard line comes to mind. As does the finish at Carolina, and against the Lions in Green Bay.
    How would this work? Can Aaron throw it up right like Rivers did?
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-o9ZZogh8C...Webb+good+job+getting+his+foot+back.gif?w=600

2. Godgers12XLV

Godgers12XLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Sign Green

Resign Crosby, Raji, Neal, Perry and maybe Starks and I'm good. Then draft the best ILB/OLB, DT, WR available.

3. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +507
    Given how weak this year's draft class is at TE, I would be particularly excited to see us bring in a FA at the position, and of those available, Ladarius Green would be the best pick, imo. However, I never have and never will go into a TT FA period *expecting* anything.

He is definitely something we don't currently have on the roster. I expect him to have a lot of suitors.

4. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    [​IMG]

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Bucky Brooks' take: Green is a matchup nightmare with his combination of size, speed and athleticism. He is a sneaky vertical threat.

Verified 6' 6", ran a verified 4.53 at the combine. 35 1/2 vertical (pro day) to go along with that 6' 6" and long arms.....
    Clay is is our best, by far, at covering fast tall TEs. He was no match.

San Diego surely knows how good this kid can be. He's got 4 years under his belt, but Gates is Mr San Diego.
    I'm hoping because of the city, team, stadium issue there, they feel pressure to keep the HOFer Gates, and make a mistake and let this guy get away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    Ladarius Green would be a great addition but I seriously doubt the Chargers will let him walk in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +507
    Agreed, but it seems highly unlikely. Young rising players with his sort of measurables don't just 'get away' very often.

7. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    I'd like to see that too... but if we can save 2 or 3 $ million by letting Perry or Neal go (one of them), in order to have the money to sign Green, I'm all for it. Same with Starks. I like Starks despite his fumbles. But we can find fresher cheaper similar guys in the draft on the final day, or even undrafted. I like Crockett too.

I hope Crosby and Raji don't cost too much....

8. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    True, rarely. But they didn't extend him early as we did Mike Daniels.
    I'm not sure that Green is that high or priority (hoping too)...they also will have to replace Eric Weddle at safety.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-news-rumors-and-speculation-on-free-agent-te
    Here's a good article from Saints land, where he also would LOVE to add Green. Saints are in Cap Hell though.
    https://bigeasybeliever.com/2016/01/31/saints-free-agency-profile-chargers-te-ladarius-green/

Another info> http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/128127592/nfl-free-agents-2016-preview

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/04/fantasy-afc-fantasy-free-agency-preview/

9. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    Pay the man his money

10. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    Ronnie Wolf OUTBIG for the services of Reggie White and paid a big price for Keith Jackson. He also added vets like Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, and others.
    Belichick has added tons of free agents over the years, and since 2001 Season, he's made it to 6 Super Bowls, winning 4. We've made it to one only. We should have made it in 2011 and last year. I do not blame Teddy at all for 2011 or last year. Not at all.

That being said, it's time to add a key piece like Ladarius. He'd be worthy of a 1st round pick now IMO, based on his size & speed, measurables, as well as what we've seen him do in the NFL, including up close at Lambeau last Robber against Matthews.

Odds of us signing Ladarius, realizing that there are 31 other NFL teams? I'd say 1%.

11. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I said no because of this:
    Since we got the pipe smoking, Von Miller or Alshon Jeffrey are just as available. JPP or Greg Hardy anyone? I wouldn't mind getting Matt Forte a ring.

12. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    Franchise Tag for Miller and Jeffrey
    JPP has two fingers
    Hardy isn't a "Green Bay guy"

I agree with Forte. He'd be a great 2-year player for the Packers. He could actually run the wheel route!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    I was going for a "Rounders" reference. Teddy KGB

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    Yes to Forte.

JPP no way, and Hardy is not welcome in Green Bay.
    Von Miller is as expensive as any OLB in the NFL. Cross him off. Alshon is overrated, slow.

Honestly, if I was GM, the main guys I'd be looking at, all depending on cost, would be Green & Forte, and maybe one of the Indy TE's. I think Allen might be a deal this off-season. Then again.....

POPPA SON, which one player would you think bringing in via UFA is the best addition, realistically speaking. Realizing we don't buy top-ten price-tag guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Great question. I think Green would probably be the best FA pickup at this time, with maybe
    one of the top ILB next in line. There also maybe a few TEs cut, such as Jordan Cameron or
    Martelius Bennett.

16. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    [​IMG]
    I'll take Jordan Cameron for sure.... but I think he's a risk with the concussions...
    But Green is a bit quicker, just as fast, a but taller, and longer arms, and bigger hands.
    If Cameron got that much from Miami, Green is worth close for sure. We'll see what he commands.
    If Green gets 7-8M a year, and Cameron is released, I'd take JC for 4-6 instead of 8 for LG.
    But I'd sure like to get Ladarius for 6m/year.

17. jrock645

jrock645 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    Seems like SD would be very foolish to let the guy get away...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    I'd be pleasantly surprised to see Ladarius land in GB, but like CaptainW and jrock, I don't see SD letting him go, and I don't see Ted trying hard to lure him away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Jerellh528

Jerellh528 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +78
    I'd freakin love to sign him for like a 5 year 32ish mil contract, something like 17 mil guaranteed. He'd be such a weapon in our offense, a dream for me. But I'm not holding my breath. If only though, it'd be the first piece of a spectacular offseason for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    AK CHEESE..... tell us YOUR GUY.

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    He deserves some blame though as the defense was terrible for all of 2011 and not upgrading the inside linebacker position cost us big time last season.

Forte said yesterday that he would accept less money for a chance to win a ring, still think he wants too much money for the Packers to consider signing him.

22. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34
    A) The 2010 defense was solid to good, very good at times. Explain why it got so bad in 2011 and why that's TT's fault. If I remember correctly, our All-Pro glue of the defense, Nick Collins, had his career taken away from him 2 weeks into that season. Guys like him are not replaceable, especially during a season. Also, remember TT drafted a very talented OT with his first round pick, who should have been a bookend to this date, with Bulaga. But he too had his career basically ended that season with a gruesome brual injury in the loss at Kansas City.

True, that has nothing to do with defense. But injuries like to Collins and Sherrod are devastating. Had Seattle lost Earl Thomas for his career 3 years ago, I don't think they would have made back-to-back Super Bowls.

Also, Desmond Bishop entering his prime, rips his hamstring completely off, in preseason. It's no wonder we had holes at safety and ILB.... but yes it seems to take TT too long to adequately fill these holes, and he ignores UFA when that's often a feasible way to fill holes..... don't always have to draft guys like Terrell Manning and Jeron McMillian and pray they can transition to the NFL when there are modestly-priced vets who we have seen play in the NFL at a decent level.

B) That's awesome to hear from Forte. I hope Peppers is in his ear! I'm doing my part to push that to happen....

BACK TO LADARIUS GREEN ... he didn't do much this year, but still averaged 11.6 per catch, 2 yards MORE than our outside WR Adams did.
    [​IMG]
    Buy this man. If we have to OVERPAY for once, this might be the guy to do it on.
    To me, he's Jermichael Finley minus the mouth.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  23. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I don't expect Green to get away from SD but if he does there will most likely be a bidding war that TT will watch from the side line. I'll stand by Forte replacing Starks .

24. Crockett&Tubbs

Ratings:
    +34

Again, I have us at a 1% chance at getting him considering our GM's MO.
    If I was the GM, it would be over 50%. I'd sacrifice a few of our own UFAs (who I think are JAG types) to bring LG in as I think he's a difference-maker, and I feel we can get cheap guys in to replace some of our other UFAs.

25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    It's true that losing Collins was devastating but the defense struggled mightily in the two games he played in as well. Bishop's injury happened in 2012 and Thompson still hasn't found an adequate replacement so far.

• Agree Agree x 1