Is it time for a "relax" for the offense?

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two weeks in a row now the offense hasn't looked like itself, and against the Rams, the run game was almost non-existent. We all know the offense doesn't put up the same type of numbers on the road as they do at home, but they didn't even look good at home against the Rams. We can say both the Rams and 49ers have good Ds, but other teams that aren't nearly as good as GB offensively have scored 30 or more points on these Ds. I hope this was just a two week hiccup and not the beginning of an ongoing trend...on a good note, our D seems to be playing much better...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
defenses that can play strong up front and play coverage have always posed a problem for this offense. i'd like to see them be able to adjust to it better than they have considering the talent we have at all the skill positions even minus Jordy. What's really hurt is we haven't been able to run the ball lately when we should be able to.

OP
OP
G

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the run game stays unproductive, the offense will become pass heavy and that's not good...AR is the best in the business, but even he can only take the team so far with a one dimensional offense...I think the D has been picking up the slack from the O, and as long as that continues I think they'll be alright...if the D goes back to allowing 30+ points a game, they might be in trouble...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to fire the offensive coordinator. and don't let that sneaky Capers fool you this is the best time to let him go.
I would wait till after we win a few more games before we do that

D

Deleted member 6794

What's really hurt is we haven't been able to run the ball lately when we should be able to.

Aside of the Rams game the rushing offense has been mostly fine. The passing game has to improve over the last two games though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In another thread I linked a Rodgers quote in which he said the return of Adams will provide another threat outside - in the last couple of games it's been mostly Jones. Adams should also stretch Ds which will help the rest of the passing game, which in turn will help the running game. The Rams were able to take away Cobb - other teams may be able to do that too, but with Adams and Jones available, Rodgers would be better able to cope with that.

And here's another factor Packers fans have been somewhat immune from: Aaron Rodgers is actually human. He will have off days and bad games by his standards. What has been so encouraging so far is the D looks capable of pulling its weight when that happens. The last couple of games should also serve as a cautionary note to Packers fans who believe Rodgers can turn any receiver into a good or great one. That's just not true as we've seen what happens when they lose two of their top three WRs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Give the Rams D line some credit for shutting our running game down and their DB's for some tight coverage and stop panicking. Fire Clements? Really? Seriously hope that was tongue in cheek. The Packers Offense is currently ranked 5th in the NFL with an average of 27.4 points per game.

Have faith in Rodgers and the offense and don't always expect 35+ points per game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, our rushing numbers, even in the san fran game were ok, but if teams are able to play with 6 in the box and play the pass, then I feel our Run is not performing like it should be. It was Ok in the san fran game, but hardly good in the Rams game. Yes the Rams have a good defense, but if our offense can't figure out a way to run the ball when teams are inviting run against a good defense, our offense will continue to struggle, or we rely on Rodgers to be even more than he already is and if you only have to rush 4 and cover 4-5 receiving targets with 9 guys, I imagine the passing game is going to be tough to come by. I expect our rush offense to improve in that situation far more than our pass game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we win 24-10 and there are calls for getting the offense on track....I scratch my head. Yes it hasn't been prolific but the team is playing well together. We shouldn't need to score 35 points a game each week to win games and championships. This offense will find a way to win when it needs to do so. We likely will lose a few games this season as well. That won't mean that we need to make changes. Only one team has made it unscathed through the season and also won the trophy. We will be fine.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we win 24-10 and there are calls for getting the offense on track....I scratch my head. Yes it hasn't been prolific but the team is playing well together. We shouldn't need to score 35 points a game each week to win games and championships. This offense will find a way to win when it needs to do so. We likely will lose a few games this season as well. That won't mean that we need to make changes. Only one team has made it unscathed through the season and also won the trophy. We will be fine.
I am happy with a double digit win, no doubt, but with that pressure from the defense, the interceptions and sacks and one defensive score, this team should score 35 whenever that happens with the talent they have. If not for the defense it's a 1 score game nearing the end and it probably ends differently.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is actually human.

I disagree with this.

The last couple of games should also serve as a cautionary note to Packers fans who believe Rodgers can turn any receiver into a good or great one. That's just not true...

Was hanging with Rodgers one day at the field. He told my 92 year old grandmother to go deep. She had no problems with the back shoulder catch. She did struggle with the Lambeau Leap, but one cannot expect Rodgers to be able make her look good with everything now, can he?

Then, Rodgers kicked Chuck Norris' butt.
:p

D

Deleted member 6794

yes, our rushing numbers, even in the san fran game were ok, but if teams are able to play with 6 in the box and play the pass, then I feel our Run is not performing like it should be. It was Ok in the san fran game, but hardly good in the Rams game. Yes the Rams have a good defense, but if our offense can't figure out a way to run the ball when teams are inviting run against a good defense, our offense will continue to struggle, or we rely on Rodgers to be even more than he already is and if you only have to rush 4 and cover 4-5 receiving targets with 9 guys, I imagine the passing game is going to be tough to come by. I expect our rush offense to improve in that situation far more than our pass game.

The Rams put an extra defender in the box to stop the run and relied on their corners to cover the Packers outside receivers one-on-one and contain Cobb with a bracket coverage. The receivers have to do a better job getting open and I wonder if the coaching staff should start using Janis and Abbrederis as well as getting more creative with Cobb and Montgomery. The running backs not breaking tackles didn't help either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the deep threat, the one play that Nelson excelled at was the back shoulder sideline catch. The media talked about it repeatedly in past seasons. There aren't many of those happening this season because nobody can execute it as well as Jordy. These guys will learn and Rodgers will find ways to help them get open, but it takes time....might not be until the end of the season. It might not be until next season. Rhythm can't be forced.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One bad rushing game and people are saying we've been struggling to run?

And before the "they should be doing better though since teams are playing 2 deep all game" argument comes out I'll say they arent. When I was at the Seattle game it was painfully obvious that the Safeties were playing closer to the line and sitting on the intermediate routes.

The only real problem with this offence is the lack of a consistent deep threat and not just a guy who can get deep on a busted coverage or when it's a free play and they just run a fly route and then goes up n gets the ball.

Hopefully when Adams returns teams actually will start playing deep coverage again but untill then this is what we got to deal with

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, that's what I was getting at :tup:

anyway, playing with 6 or sneaking up a 7th extra DB isn't playing to stop the run. Stacking 8 in the box with DLine, LB's and safeties is playing to stop the run. I don't remember the Rams playing in the too often. If they were sneaking guys up, i have a feeling it was more so because they were betting on the 4 Downlineman to get to the qb before anything could get deep. They played to prevent quick passes too. But of course, they can't be, they sold out to stop the run with their 4 dlinemen and 1 or 2 linebackers on the field and the rest DB's. I don't have game tape, but pretty much every highlight video shows 6 or less even, minus 3 plays. 2 that went for TD's on a blitz and the strip sack of Rodgers.

Anyway, I don't really care what you call it the facts are the same. Defenses that can rush a passer with 4 keep enough DB's on the field to cover receiving threats and we can't run against them, we struggle on offense and until we find a way to beat that, we'll always struggle. I think we have way too many 2 yard or less runs against teams like this on top of not having Jordy Nelson, and Nelson isn't coming back. If Lacy or starks start busting a couple 7+ yard plays the game gets blown wide open and our playbook becomes relevant again.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was really panicking about the offense to begin with.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am concerned about our receiving corps for sure. Jordy is a top 5 receiver, out. Adams up and comer is out. Cobb nursing a bad left shoulder, not very effective. Jones with a hamstring problem. Abraderis fragile as glass and Janis is dumb as a box of rocks. No wonder the offense is struggling. I am just thankful JJ became available.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
After the rams game think its best we just say, we tried, we failed from the Rodgers experiment, lets move onto to a different QB, light the barn on fire and start over.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried one bit, with half the starting offense battered up it isn't shocking that they are a little sluggish. But they are still able to score when needed and they can for once lean on the defense when needed. Though these stupid penalties need to stop and mistakes on ST.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly we have a predictable Offense the Opposing D knows exactly what we run. Its just MM put so much on AR plate and AR is putting faith in the recievers. The recievers are not creating separation letting DB's jam them all the way up field. As far as the run game once again defences know our run plays and when your o-line is not doing that good, they are not creating wholes its like lacey and starks have to break like 4 tackles to get 4 yards. All im asking MM is to stop being so predictable.

D

Dan115

Honestly we have a predictable Offense the Opposing D knows exactly what we run. Its just MM put so much on AR plate and AR is putting faith in the recievers. The recievers are not creating separation letting DB's jam them all the way up field. As far as the run game once again defences know our run plays and when your o-line is not doing that good, they are not creating wholes its like lacey and starks have to break like 4 tackles to get 4 yards. All im asking MM is to stop being so predictable.

You do know MM is NOT calling the plays this year.

D

Dan115

After the rams game think its best we just say, we tried, we failed from the Rodgers experiment, lets move onto to a different QB, light the barn on fire and start over.

You have potential --- Have you ever thought about politics ?

Members online

Latest posts