Injuries

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it all goes back to normal next year, assuming it does, they'll probably settle at 12 guys on IR, and possibly keep the temporary change allowing return after three games on IR, as long as the player was on the 53 man roster when they broke camp in the fall, or is added to the roster, after that point, during the season.

It seems like a logical move for a game that has seen more injuries happen than they did in the past, despite their attempts to change rules to mitigate many injuries.

In the meantime, even people in the media can't seem to report on injuries different than they did in the past. They will verbally communicate that a guy is placed on injured reserve, and out for the season, or will say he's been put on IR, and will be eligible to return after 3 games. In trying to make everyone aware of the severity of the injury, they perpetuate the beliefs that there are players on temporary or season ending IR. All because they simply state what the teams are saying to convey the severity of the injury.

Anyhow, that's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Reaction score
I just moved the discussion here as it doesn't have anything to do with the Rams game and the mods definitely don't want it to drag into another thread.

Once again, teams don't put players on injured reserve with a season-ending designation. Let's use the transactions taken from NFL Communications as proof when taking a look at Khalil Mack and Elgton Jenkins:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In addition take a look at the designation next to Marquez Stevenson and Jay Tufele. They were placed on the same list as Mack and Jenkins before but were designated for return once they were ready to practice again.

Teams communicate that a player is done for the season based on the severity of an injury but there's no specific list to put them.

There are some rules in place for IR though with one of them being that a player being put on it for the second time can't be activated again and is done for the year.

Once again, it's not an official designation used by the league (see above). The discussion started with you claiming that Alexander and Z not being designated as season ending being cause for optimism that they will be able to return this season.
I’ll just agree that “season ending” is not an accurate phrase if it bothers you.

However. You’ll have to deal with all the teams accordingly as each week they use the exact same terminology I used.
I’m sorry I can’t change that part for you. as I obviously don’t impact press releases or influence the Head Coaches statements. :tup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I’ll just agree that “season ending” is not an accurate phrase if it bothers you.

However. You’ll have to deal with all the teams accordingly as each week they use the exact same terminology I used.
I’m sorry I can’t change that part for you. as I obviously don’t impact press releases or influence the Head Coaches statements.
You could write the teams independently is what I’d suggest. I can provide you a list off all the teams that used “season-ending” so you can file all the complaints appropriately. We could also write the NFL and make them aware that teams are using that language. Although I think it’s best to wait until after the Holidays as it might offend some people at the executive level. I’ll just let you sign the letters if that’s ok? If it goes to trial and makes it past the preliminary courts, I’ll probably have to bail out on you, just to warn you.

This is my last post on the topic as it doesn't make any sense discussing it with you any further.

You were the one who made a claim that there's a season ending injured reserve list, something I have proved to not be correct and was the only point I was trying to make.

Instead of admitting that you were wrong about it you have made a fool out of yourself with moving the goalposts in ridiculous ways.

Way to go OldSchool.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You were the one who made a claim that there's a season ending injured reserve list,
Actually, there is a season ending IR list. Those who were put on IR before the 53 man rosters were declared in Sept. and any player that has been put on IR during the season, came off of it and then put back on. In both of those scenarios, it would be accurate to say that the players season is over and then state the reason why. :)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, there is a season ending IR list. Those who were put on IR before the 53 man rosters were declared in Sept. and any player that has been put on IR during the season, came off of it and then put back on. In both of those scenarios, it would be accurate to say that the players season is over and then state the reason why. :)
But it’s not a different list. Their individual eligibility has been exhausted lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are rules for players not being allowed to get activated from injured reserve either because they were put on it before the start of the regular season or were already activated from it once.

OldSchool and I weren't talking about any such case though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are rules for players not being allowed to get activated from injured reserve either because they were put on it before the start of the regular season or were already activated from it once.

OldSchool and I weren't talking about any such case though.
I could have sworn you said it was your last word on the topic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Campbell is on Covid list. Let's hope it's minor for him and he comes back healthy and ready for the Bears game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Campbell is on Covid list. Let's hope it's minor for him and he comes back healthy and ready for the Bears game.

As long as Campbell doesn't experience symptoms at the end of next week he will be allowed to play vs. the Bears even if he's unvaccinated.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could have sworn you said it was your last word on the topic.
This is the way I understand the whole IR list thing. Take from it what you will.

There is one IR list. Anyone put on it after the season starts is eligible to come back after 3 weeks if their injuries have healed enough to allow it. If their injuries are severe enough they are still eligible to come off the list but obviously they will not because of the severity of the injury. If they are placed on the IR list and come off after three weeks and are placed on it again they are not eligible to return.

As far as the "season ending" and " non season ending" its a matter of terminology used. There is still only one list but for those whose injuries are severe enough or those who have already been on the list and come off once they can not return so in effect the their season is over but its not because they were put on a specific list its just because their injuries or circumstances won't allow them to return. Jenkins, for example, was put on IR with a torn ACL. He was not placed on a season ending IR list he was placed on the IR list. He will be eligible to return after three weeks and the Packers could bring him back if they wanted to but his injury is such that they won't because he can't possibly play. His season has ended but only because of the severity of his injury not by his placement on any specific list.

Its not like a team representative analyzes each injury and decides " which list should we put him on. The season ending one or non season ending one". There is only one IR list.

When media people and team staff say a player was placed on the season ending IR list they are usually referring to the fact that an injury is severe enough that he can't return this season or the player can't return because he was on and off IR once already. They are not referring to him being placed on a separate list.

This is the way I understand it. There is only one list. For some players being put on it means they can't play anymore this season so in effect it is a season ending list but it is the same list as less injured players.

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled debate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As long as Campbell doesn't experience symptoms at the end of next week he will be allowed to play vs. the Bears even if he's unvaccinated.
I was more referring to how Covid affects him (if he has it). I just didn't want to bring up the whole covid discussion again. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I was more referring to how Covid affects him (if he has it). I just didn't want to bring up the whole covid discussion again. ;)

I definitely don't want to discuss about COVID-19 around here anymore either. I just wanted to point out that Campbell would be eligible to play vs. the Bears even if he's unvaccinated.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Anyone heard if Alexander is coming back after the bye week? I think Bakh is done, but any word on him either?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone heard if Alexander is coming back after the bye week? I think Bakh is done, but any word on him either?

I think that we will hear news about some of these guys practicing, if there is a chance of them coming back. Seems like MLF would rather not speculate on any of these players return and just keep pressing forward with the healthy players that he has.

Hard not to be impressed by how good this team has been, despite all the lost snaps due to injuries of quite a few of their top starters. While the coaches and players definitely should get a lot of credit for that, Gute deserves a lot of it too. All those Gute doubters need to remember this season, as one that Gute proved just how good he is at building a cohesive deep roster.

Reaction score
I don’t think anybody outside the facility really knows. What we do know is Alexander has been in partial practices and seems to be moving around pretty good. There’s one film I saw of him catching passes in drills and his hands were about face level and he looked pretty good. I do not know what his range of motion over his head looks like, however imo, they wouldn’t have him out there unless he was close to healthy.
My guess? 2-4 weeks past the bye (4-6 actual weeks). Obviously with no setbacks.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t think anybody outside the facility really knows. What we do know is Alexander has been in partial practices and seems to be moving around pretty good. There’s one film I saw of him catching passes in drills and his hands were about face level and he looked pretty good. I do not know what his range of motion over his head looks like, however imo, they wouldn’t have him out there unless he was close to healthy.
My guess? 2-4 weeks past the bye (4-6 actual weeks). Obviously with no setbacks.
What I want to know is if these guys, that are on IR, can they practice with the team? I would think there would be some kind of window that once they start practicing they have like 3 weeks to be pulled off of IR or they stay on it for the season.

Anyone know the rule?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think those players need to be activated first.
That is kind of what I thought, but then you read or hear that they were doing things during practice. Just seems like a fine line between being active and still on IR.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts