Injuries

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup - I don't think this warrants anything more than elevating Ryquell Armstead from the practice squad, knowing that Jones is only out 1-2 weeks.

Speaking of the practice squad, I was a bit surprised to see that Blake Bortles is still with the team. Then I noticed that Benkert is still on the Covid list. It all makes sense again.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other injury news, Packers OLB Rashan Gary plans to brace his hyperextended elbow to see if he can try to play Sunday against the Vikings, a source told Schefter. Gary has an MRI on his elbow scheduled for Tuesday to see if anything gets in the way of his plans.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Pooka Williams - Bengals PS, Pooka is a rookie out of Kansas, that quite a few of us liked how he projected to the next level. Illustrated receiving chops at Kansas in his years there. Pooka's RAS was hit hard due to his height and weight measurements, but he has great speed, and fairly good 3cone and shuttle scores in the mid 6.0s grading scales RAS designates. I had him circled as a Day 3 guy to target - and went undrafted actually.
I just want Pooka on name value alone.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. If you pick up a player from another practice squad they have to go on your 53. With that in mind, let me be clear I am not advocating for any of these guys, just found it interesting while doing homework on Ervin. He is on a list of guys on the street and is designated Questionable which could be the reason the Pack has not called him. Here are some others on that list without any designations.
Bo Scarbrough-Dion Lewis-Chris Thompson-TJ Yeldon-CJ Proisse-Jordan Wilkins-Ito Smith-Jay Ajayi-Lamar Miller-Alfred Morris-Kerryon Johnson-Frank Gore-Beastmode-Shady & the Gurley man.
Most of these guys had there 15 minutes and the last 4 mentioned had amazing careers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. If you pick up a player from another practice squad they have to go on your 53. With that in mind, let me be clear I am not advocating for any of these guys, just found it interesting while doing homework on Ervin. He is on a list of guys on the street and is designated Questionable which could be the reason the Pack has not called him. Here are some others on that list without any designations.
Bo Scarbrough-Dion Lewis-Chris Thompson-TJ Yeldon-CJ Proisse-Jordan Wilkins-Ito Smith-Jay Ajayi-Lamar Miller-Alfred Morris-Kerryon Johnson-Frank Gore-Beastmode-Shady & the Gurley man.
Most of these guys had there 15 minutes and the last 4 mentioned had amazing careers.

Correct, of the others mentioned that are true street free agents I would be most inclined to work out Jay Ajayi, Kerryon Johnson either one added to PS wouldn't be a bad move, assuming they'd be elgible now in the new PS rules post covid.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct, of the others mentioned that are true street free agents I would be most inclined to work out Jay Ajayi, Kerryon Johnson either one added to PS wouldn't be a bad move, assuming they'd be elgible now in the new PS rules post covid.
ajayi's career just completely fell off the cliff after the 2016 season. doubt seriously he's in any kind of football shape. the saints just gave kerryon a tryout about a week ago. not sure how that went, but he might be worth a tryout.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ajayi's career just completely fell off the cliff after the 2016 season. doubt seriously he's in any kind of football shape. the saints just gave kerryon a tryout about a week ago. not sure how that went, but he might be worth a tryout.

All things are relative to the times you face. You aren't picking anyone up to expect great things. If Jones is only out a week or two, I would side with poaching a younger PS guy like Pooka if able...but honestly I love the idea of poaching Duke Johnson asap if he isn't protected.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MRI showed Jones has 'mild' MCL sprain and is expected out 1- 2 weeks, per Schefter.
Which should at the latest, get him back after the bye week.

Guessing with as good as Dillon played yesterday, the Packers won't rush Jones back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers worked out former Lions RB Kerryon Johnson today. Was wondering if they might be looking for a back due to Hill and know AJ going down.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers worked out former Lions RB Kerryon Johnson today. Was wondering if they might be looking for a back due to Hill and know AJ going down.

Kerryon is one of the street guys I brought up the other day. Really wish Duke Johnson could be signed of PS but he is usually protected

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In today's game, the RBs take a horrible pounding. The guys that play productively for 10 years or more are pretty much history. In fact, I heard from one source, that the real productive seasons you can expect from a top RB goes somewhere in the 4-6 year range. I tend to agree, but there are some who will last longer. But they're not the guys who take hits, they're the guys who know how to avoid them.

Jones is the kind of RB who knows how to make guys miss, and not get direct hits. Watching Dillon, I see a guy more inclined to punish tacklers instead of avoiding them. He will probably have six solid years, starting with this year. But, it's all good!

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh for sure. Let me breakdown a few of my favorites, remember these would have to be unprotected by their team.

Dexter Williams - Cleveland Browns PS...clearly on the list solely due to very familiar with system. Getting him out of the way.
Ryquell Armstead - Our PS....clearly could be the guy activated given he is here. I personally wasn't big on him back when he entered draft in 2019, JAX picked him in the 5th round that year and he saw limited playing time. His time at Temple he was used heavy his final three years. Struggled with multiple Covid issues in 2020.

Pooka Williams - Bengals PS, Pooka is a rookie out of Kansas, that quite a few of us liked how he projected to the next level. Illustrated receiving chops at Kansas in his years there. Pooka's RAS was hit hard due to his height and weight measurements, but he has great speed, and fairly good 3cone and shuttle scores in the mid 6.0s grading scales RAS designates. I had him circled as a Day 3 guy to target - and went undrafted actually.

Javian Hawkins - Rams PS, Javian is a guy out of Louisville I also liked in the Day 3 range last draft, went undrafted. He scored a 7.02 RAS, ran a 4.46 forty with very good cone drill. He is a slighter back, but has exceptional cutting skills. His size though is just very concerning but has nearly reached 200 now being in NFL

Duke Johnson - Dolphins PS...Duke has been around now in the NFL since 2015 and has served as a depth guy multiple times. Extremely useful in the passing game having had over 400 yards receiving every year of his career except the shortened 11 game year in 2020. *One of my leading candidates if not protected. Experienced, multi-faceted guy.

FYI none of the running backs you mentioned are protected this week.

Speaking of the practice squad, I was a bit surprised to see that Blake Bortles is still with the team. Then I noticed that Benkert is still on the Covid list. It all makes sense again.

The Packers activated Benkert from the COVID-19 list and released Bortles on Monday.

Teams are allowed to have six veterans on the practice squad this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI none of the running backs you mentioned are protected this week.

If Duke went unprotected, I 100% am behind adding him to our active. Easily be our #2 if Jones cannot go and is proven capable backup - and not old yet either relatively.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kerryon is one of the street guys I brought up the other day.
Why is Kerryon Johnson still available as a street FA? He's had minor knee issues but don't think he's hampered, now. He's shifty, has a 2nd gear and finishes runs with a little nasty at times. Not going to outrace any safeties to the end zone but certainly has the cutting ability and vision to get positive yards.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is Kerryon Johnson still available as a street FA? He's had minor knee issues but don't think he's hampered, now. He's shifty, has a 2nd gear and finishes runs with a little nasty at times. Not going to outrace any safeties to the end zone but certainly has the cutting ability and vision to get positive yards.

Kerryon is an intriguing one that I too find odd is out there. I also cannot fathom Duke Johnson not on an active roster honestly either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kerryon is an intriguing one that I too find odd is out there. I also cannot fathom Duke Johnson not on an active roster honestly either.
I don't know a lot about either player, but usually if you dig deep enough, you find out why. Could be a nagging injury, contract demands, off field stuff, personality, etc. When I go through "a list" of top 50 FA's still on the market, I see some big names. Then you do some research and understand why they aren't playing. Seems like most of those lists should be labeled "Top 50 Most Recognizable Name Free Agents."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about either player, but usually if you dig deep enough, you find out why. Could be a nagging injury, contract demands, off field stuff, personality, etc. When I go through "a list" of top 50 FA's still on the market, I see some big names. Then you do some research and understand why they aren't playing. Seems like most of those lists should be labeled "Top 50 Most Recognizable Name Free Agents."

Duke Johnson has delivered as a backup everywhere he has been. I truly struggle with him, other than it is clear if you're in that 27-32 year old range of RBs and cannot be a clear one, teams have figured out it isn't worth it and fill roster with rookies or rookie contracts.

Duke Johnson career stats over 6 seasons: 1,931 yards with 4.2 Y/C, 2,829 yards receiving and 9.2 Y/R. He is 27 and IMO I'm shocked he sits on a PS

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two week backup RBs are fun to discuss but when are we going to hear about Rashan Gary?!

For the record, I'm fine with whoever the Packers bring in as the 3rd RB behind Dillon and Taylor so long as they're not forced to cut anyone with potential to help down the road.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Two week backup RBs are fun to discuss but when are we going to hear about Rashan Gary?!
I don't think even the Packers know yet about Gary. He did have an MRI done yesterday and I think that will probably determine more. Last I read, it sounds like he will try to play with some kind of brace for his hyperextended elbow. If the MRI gave them bad news, then that may not be an option.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think even the Packers know yet about Gary. He did have an MRI done yesterday and I think that will probably determine more. Last I read, it sounds like he will try to play with some kind of brace for his hyperextended elbow. If the MRI gave them bad news, then that may not be an option.

Theyve already said hes going to try and give it a go with a brace on Sunday. He will be a game time decision if he does play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Theyve already said hes going to try and give it a go with a brace on Sunday. He will be a game time decision if he does play.
Right, but was that before yesterdays MRI or after? I think they were doing the MRI to make sure the elbow, as well as his shoulder weren't worse than what they are seeing in an exam.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but was that before yesterdays MRI or after? I think they were doing the MRI to make sure the elbow, as well as his shoulder weren't worse than what they are seeing in an exam.

The discussion of the brace preceded the time of the MRI, at least on the sources I could backtrack or timestamp. Could still be the plan post MRI which is a good sign one would guess. I struggle to like the fact we may risk losing another OLB for longer if he plays hurt.

Members online

Latest posts