Injuries and today's NFL

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
All the talk of players being softer or not in shape because of less practice is purely stupid. It's due to over use because the workout year round. You look all buff but the fact is they work out too much and it tires the body and makes you vulnerable to injury. And don't fool yourself, most of these guys are juiced on one thing or another
Any cites or statistics to back this up?

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any cites or statistics to back this up?

Since when are you told when someone is doing something illegal? All you need to do is look at their bodies.peoole aren't that physically blesses and that big.
And when a guy collapses on the ground without being touched it means his muscles and tendons were extremely fatigued ,not under worked

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry but it's not an opinion. I'm 50 years old and know a juiced guy when I see one . It's just ignorant to think they dont.

And I`m 58, what`s that got to do with it ?. I never said all don`t, but you were asked for proof and you didn`t supply any.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a report last year by the English Rugby Football Union (RFU), that concluded the way knees and ankles were being strapped was preventing some of the old school injuries but putting greater stress on other ligaments and tendons. Not sure if the same might apply in the NFL

H

HardRightEdge

Many were afraid to let their injuries be known for fear of being "Wally Pipped".
Whether fear of being "Wally Pipped" or just trying to make the roster, it still happens. Some will hide an injury. Others will play with a known injury, like the two guys on the field on Thursday wearing clubs.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

Try typing this into Yahoo search: How rampant is steroid use in the NFL

There's plenty to read on the subject.
HGH seems to be the suspected culprit, not steroids. While it is difficult to tell how many players use it, the NFL's performance enhancing drug policy is hardly robust.

40 guys are tested per week for performance enhancing drugs during the season, or about 1 player per team, with 5 players per team tested in the playoffs.

The HGH testing in use will capture a positive only if it's been taken in the previous couple of days. A player could take HGH shots on Monday and Tuesday and test clean by Friday. If the tester always shows up at Friday practice, you can bet players would time their usage around that.

A new test is being developed to capture usage in the previous 5-8 days. That may change the landscape.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's all of the above, too much too often mostly year round and PED's. Plus just plain old time. Sprain your ankle, slightly alter foot, ankle, knee, hip biomechanics, play 20 years after 8th grade sports and your knee blows out on a routine play. Coincidence? Maybe

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
One of the things that I think needs to be looked at is that one of the common antibiotics used has a history of causing tendon injuries. Levaquin has some nasty side effects. The problem is they have not yet determined who or why certain people are affected. In 2008 the FDA finally forced Johnson and Johnson to put a black box warning on the drug label with a warning. One of the main tendons it can damage? The Achilles. Below is a link to and FDA PDF that explains some of side effects. There was one lawsuit were a guy had both feet in casts and had been on the drug, he ruptured both Achilles while in casts.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088619.pdf

And if nothing else, this is good information for you personally.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that I think needs to be looked at is that one of the common antibiotics used has a history of causing tendon injuries. Levaquin has some nasty side effects. The problem is they have not yet determined who or why certain people are affected. In 2008 the FDA finally forced Johnson and Johnson to put a black box warning on the drug label with a warning. One of the main tendons it can damage? The Achilles. Below is a link to and FDA PDF that explains some of side effects. There was one lawsuit were a guy had both feet in casts and had been on the drug, he ruptured both Achilles while in casts.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088619.pdf

And if nothing else, this is good information for you personally.
I don't think that's a big one used in the athletic population, but for some I"m sure. It is good info for the general public though. any antibiotic use can do a number on teeth too when used during the formative stages. Some really interfere with enamel formation, and when you then get your adult teeth they're very weak. Of course you don't find out till decades later and you have perfect teeth except 4 pre-molars that are all capped or have root canals because you were given some antibiotics at age 7

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't think that's a big one used in the athletic population, but for some I"m sure. It is good info for the general public though. any antibiotic use can do a number on teeth too when used during the formative stages. Some really interfere with enamel formation, and when you then get your adult teeth they're very weak. Of course you don't find out till decades later and you have perfect teeth except 4 pre-molars that are all capped or have root canals because you were given some antibiotics at age 7
Actually, it is used a lot during operations because it is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Most people who have surgery have no idea they even had it during surgery.

Section444

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the problem with bigger, stronger, and faster. The human body simply isn't built to take what today's athletes are dishing out.