1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In Year 2, Capers has Packers sold on his 3-4 philosophy

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Nov 24, 2010.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    NFL.com news: In Year 2, Capers has Packers sold on his 3-4 philosophy

2. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    I have to say. I had some doubts about McCarthy as far as situational football and still do although he seems to have coached really well the last couple games overall. However, as far as leadership and strategic decision making, I have no doubts anymore. He makes great long term decisions for the Pack. Him and TT or whoever.

After a dismal defensive performance, he fired nearly the entire defensive staff in Jan 09 and brought in Dom Capers to switch to a 3-4. Looking at it then, wow, I figured it was a huge gamble. Now looking at it, great strategic move!

Then after devastating injuries this season he was able to hold the team together, keep them believing in themselves as a team. THAT is leadership folks! To keep people striving in the face of adversity! I'd like to see Wade Phillips or Childress pull that off. Not only did he keep the team together, he has them playing at the high level right now and you can tell the players are feeling like they can beat any team in the league. Swagger, this team has it. They also believe in McCarty and Capers now and are ready to follow em with no questions asked.

I wasn't a believer in MM and called for his head a few times before (especially last year after Tampa). But, I stand corrected. I'll eat the crow. Right now, I'm definitely a believer in MM as the best coach for the GBP! Things can change fast in the NFL, but I feel McCarthy, Capers and the other coaches are doing a job that Lombardi would approve of. Yeah, that's a bold statement. But, hey, It feels really good to be a Packer fan right now especially after sweeping the Vikes.

• Like Like x 4
  3. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +297
    Well said Murgen! I think this contagious confidence & work ethic that's seems to be taking over the team, will benefit us BIG TIME as we get closer to playoffs, I am really starting to build some hope we may still have a good if not great opportunity to get to the BIG game

[​IMG]

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Felt the same way about MM, and now feel just like you do.

Like I said at CHTV, it's a pattern. MM's teams tend to start slow, but then they'll come on strong. Just have to remember it if it happens next time.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    RS is right, they always seem to start slow...My theory is that the coaches take a few games to figure out what truly works as a team..

But next year mark my words, if they are 3-2, 2-2 or what ever people will be screaming once again

6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Yeah, probably so.

it's because of expectations. Fans know that, with the roster that TT has build, the Packers can win every single game.

7. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    With this roster, it's odd that the team starts so slowly. Personally I think it's conditioning again. Takes a couple months to get the players into football shape. Along with the injuries we suffered I really believe the strength and conditioning program need to be looked at seriously.

Although Redding is supposedly one of the best. Guess I'm grasping at straws.

8. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    no doubt.