In Year 2, Capers has Packers sold on his 3-4 philosophy

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL.com news: In Year 2, Capers has Packers sold on his 3-4 philosophy

There are reasons why Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews -- the NFL sacks leader with 11.5 -- is having a special season, why recently little-known cornerback Tramon Williams might be playing better than most cornerbacks in the NFL, and why an injury-depleted Green Bay defense has allowed just 10 points over the past three games.

Those reasons might also lead the Packers to the Super Bowl.
"Everyone has bought in," a Packers team source said.

This isn't the same old football-speak about everyone being on the same page. The translation is that in Year 2 of defensive coordinator Dom Capers' version of the 3-4 defense, players understand their roles.

They know that in certain cases they have to occupy two blockers so Matthews has an unimpeded path to the quarterback.

Williams and fellow cornerback Charles Woodson have to be incredibly efficient in man coverage at times to allow disguised stunts to work effectively.

To pacify egos, something Capers and his staff found out last season, those who sacrifice stats and making plays also have packages designed for them to flash.

That's a huge deal because if players don't feel like they're being put in position to succeed, they won't always give you premium effort (see Albert Haynesworth).

Last season, a lot of players in Green Bay were reluctant to embrace the change from the 4-3 front because it marginalized their playmaking skills.

Outside linebacker Aaron Kampman's showed displeasure with having to move from defensive end to outside linebacker, a change that did not play to his pass-rushing strengths.

Several other players weren't pleased about the switch either, but that's changed now.

"Guys weren't always receptive, but now they understand that there is a role and packages for everybody," the source said. "Guys are playing so unselfish, and they're realizing that when they do their jobs so someone else can make a play, it's just as rewarding."

Green Bay is second in points allowed (14.6) and 12th overall in yards allowed (323.4). They've forced 21 turnovers, including 15 interceptions -- three of those returned for touchdowns.

Players also trust Capers.

In the Packers' 31-3 victory over the Vikings last week -- Brad Childress' last game as head coach -- Green Bay's game plan worked as it was drawn up.

Early on, the Packers dared Brett Favre to throw by stacking the box to stop Adrian Peterson and locking up the wide receivers on the edges in man coverage. Nothing new compared to what most teams do. They held Peterson to 72 yards.

In obvious passing situations, Green Bay also ran zone blitzes that applied pressure to the defense's left -- Favre's right -- because Favre prefers to break containment in that direction, and his mobility moving back to his left isn't what it was, the source said.

Pressure also was schemed to be applied up the middle because Favre isn't as comfortable on the move, the source said. Adding to things, Green Bay's defensive backs were able to knock Minnesota's receivers off their routes.

Also playing into things, the Vikings' offense wasn't overly diverse, the source said. The same could be said for the 8-2 Jets, who were shut out by the Packers on Oct. 31.

That won't be the case Sunday when Green Bay travels to Atlanta to face the 8-2 Falcons in what could turn out to be the game of the week. Not only are the Falcons nearly unbeatable at the Georgia Dome (QB Matt Ryan is 18-1 as a starter at home), they have the best offense the Packers have seen this season, the source said.

"They have plays they can run two ways, they have run-pass options on so many plays," the source said. "They have so many looks. (Offensive coordinator) Mike Mularkey has put together some serious stuff.

The quarterback is really comfortable, and he gets rid of the ball. They are really good.

"The offensive line is really good, collectively. Individually, there isn't a Pro Bowler there, but as a group they block through the play, they're tough and they work really well together."

And then there's wide receiver Roddy White.

"He's a complete player," the source said. "He's doing things like catching the curl and hook routes he wasn't so good at a few years ago and his yards after the catch, he's really good once he gets the ball in his hands."

Based on what Green Bay has done at times this season, I'd expect Williams to tail White for most of the game, which won't be easy because the Falcons use White from every receiver-eligible spot on the field.

The Packers are looking forward to the challenge, which leads us to the main reason why the defense is playing at such a high level.

"On Victory Monday (this week) there wasn't an empty meeting room," the source said. "Guys were in there watching film and really preparing. That's been the most incredible thing about this, the way guys have taken to preparation and film study on their own.

They really want to be good."

The contagious work ethic can't be taken lightly. How else can you explain why a unit that has been hit hard by injuries is arguably playing its best with several frontline players on the shelf?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I have to say. I had some doubts about McCarthy as far as situational football and still do although he seems to have coached really well the last couple games overall. However, as far as leadership and strategic decision making, I have no doubts anymore. He makes great long term decisions for the Pack. Him and TT or whoever.

After a dismal defensive performance, he fired nearly the entire defensive staff in Jan 09 and brought in Dom Capers to switch to a 3-4. Looking at it then, wow, I figured it was a huge gamble. Now looking at it, great strategic move!

Then after devastating injuries this season he was able to hold the team together, keep them believing in themselves as a team. THAT is leadership folks! To keep people striving in the face of adversity! I'd like to see Wade Phillips or Childress pull that off. Not only did he keep the team together, he has them playing at the high level right now and you can tell the players are feeling like they can beat any team in the league. Swagger, this team has it. They also believe in McCarty and Capers now and are ready to follow em with no questions asked.

I wasn't a believer in MM and called for his head a few times before (especially last year after Tampa). But, I stand corrected. I'll eat the crow. Right now, I'm definitely a believer in MM as the best coach for the GBP! Things can change fast in the NFL, but I feel McCarthy, Capers and the other coaches are doing a job that Lombardi would approve of. Yeah, that's a bold statement. But, hey, It feels really good to be a Packer fan right now especially after sweeping the Vikes.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Murgen! I think this contagious confidence & work ethic that's seems to be taking over the team, will benefit us BIG TIME as we get closer to playoffs, I am really starting to build some hope we may still have a good if not great opportunity to get to the BIG game

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say. I had some doubts about McCarthy as far as situational football and still do although he seems to have coached really well the last couple games overall. However, as far as leadership and strategic decision making, I have no doubts anymore. He makes great long term decisions for the Pack. Him and TT or whoever.

After a dismal defensive performance, he fired nearly the entire defensive staff in Jan 09 and brought in Dom Capers to switch to a 3-4. Looking at it then, wow, I figured it was a huge gamble. Now looking at it, great strategic move!

Then after devastating injuries this season he was able to hold the team together, keep them believing in themselves as a team. THAT is leadership folks! To keep people striving in the face of adversity! I'd like to see Wade Phillips or Childress pull that off. Not only did he keep the team together, he has them playing at the high level right now and you can tell the players are feeling like they can beat any team in the league. Swagger, this team has it. They also believe in McCarty and Capers now and are ready to follow em with no questions asked.

I wasn't a believer in MM and called for his head a few times before (especially last year after Tampa). But, I stand corrected. I'll eat the crow. Right now, I'm definitely a believer in MM as the best coach for the GBP! Things can change fast in the NFL, but I feel McCarthy, Capers and the other coaches are doing a job that Lombardi would be approve of. Yeah, that's a bold statement. But, hey, It feels really good to be a Packer fan right now especially after sweeping the Vikes.
Felt the same way about MM, and now feel just like you do.

Like I said at CHTV, it's a pattern. MM's teams tend to start slow, but then they'll come on strong. Just have to remember it if it happens next time.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
RS is right, they always seem to start slow...My theory is that the coaches take a few games to figure out what truly works as a team..

But next year mark my words, if they are 3-2, 2-2 or what ever people will be screaming once again

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RS is right, they always seem to start slow...My theory is that the coaches take a few games to figure out what truly works as a team..

But next year mark my words, if they are 3-2, 2-2 or what ever people will be screaming once again
Yeah, probably so.

it's because of expectations. Fans know that, with the roster that TT has build, the Packers can win every single game.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
With this roster, it's odd that the team starts so slowly. Personally I think it's conditioning again. Takes a couple months to get the players into football shape. Along with the injuries we suffered I really believe the strength and conditioning program need to be looked at seriously.

Although Redding is supposedly one of the best. Guess I'm grasping at straws.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With this roster, it's odd that the team starts so slowly. Personally I think it's conditioning again. Takes a couple months to get the players into football shape. Along with the injuries we suffered I really believe the strength and conditioning program need to be looked at seriously.

Although Redding is supposedly one of the best. Guess I'm grasping at straws.

no doubt.

Members online

Latest posts