In a potential Saints-49ers match up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The Saints, easily. Their defense is stopping the run much better than they did last season and the earlier games this year. SF is a run first team. The Saints would also get to Alex Smith easily. I do think the defense would create some problems here and there, but with those weapons they got, I'd look for them to score heavy on them.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Torn right now, ask me later. I do think the Niners are a tad underrated and the Saints a tad overrated......especially out of their fish bowl in NO. This might be one of the cushiest schedules I have seen for a team in terms of playing conditions.

I was listening to John Madden earlier on the radio and he said a few of the things I was thinking. He believes the Niners have the best defense and special teams in the entire league so if you go into any game in SF they have homefield advantage plus already likely win 2 of the 3 major components of a team. I was torn on whether I thought SF was truly the best D but it's up there with Baltimore/Pittsburgh and potentially stronger. Also he said the same thing about the Saints potentially not being able to control the tempo of the game how they like to outside the dome.

Can the Saints get to Smith? Depends. I don't trust the Niners if they fall behind too much and lets not pretend the Saints can do to Smith what the Ravens did. The Niners are an excellent run blocking team but much poorer in pass protection...it's how they are built and how they draft. But, if they can burn up the clock with enough of the run game (they can run on anyone I believe and certainly the Saints) and use the short quick passing game like they did vs. Pittsburgh they have a real shot.

Once again though.....ask me later. It's strength vs. strength and weakness vs. weakness. I think a lot depends on how much of the tempo the Niners offense can control.

It's not JUST Brees vs. Smith. There would be a lot of things to look at. Sometimes a finesse indoor team can meet their match with a physical team. Also, if the Saints did beat SF then it could take a toll on them physically enough and combined with a lot of traveling it could give GB a big edge if they meet in the NFCCG.

NO has a much better shot at a SB if they have a bye week. With a third seed I think it's going to be much tougher.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints based on their Brees and their offense alone. To hell with defenses. This game would be won by Brees and his line. I'm not saying the 49'ers are not a tough opponent, lets give them their due. They played a great season this year, but I honestly don't see them taking the Saints in the playoffs.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Saints based on their Brees and their offense alone. To hell with defenses. This game would be won by Brees and his line. I'm not saying the 49'ers are not a tough opponent, lets give them their due. They played a great season this year, but I honestly don't see them taking the Saints in the playoffs.

This is a very dangerous statement kitten. ;) I hope like hell that the Packers D steps it up for the playoffs. I believe they can and are capable. Luckily they will have homefield so that is huge. Good D's travel well......it's why teams like the Jets of the last few seasons, the Ravens/Steelers and teams like that and last years Pack can win as a road team so well IMO.

I am not sure how I feel this Saints D will travel yet. They look very scary in the dome and against certain teams but I am still uncertain.

I sadly could see an early exit or two in the postseason by one or two offensive heavy/porous defensive teams. I hope it's teams like NE and NO over the Packers though.

The Saints do have a very tough o line to crack though so that would be a challenge for SF.

Saints at Niners is what I really really would love to see now. It would be awesome. If the Niners fall behind too much I think they are in trouble but if they can keep the game within reach going into the 4th it's up in the air.
I love watching an elite D go up against an elite O.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would depend on a couple of things. What's the weather going to be like that day? A windy, muddy field would favor the 9'ers. A fast field the Aint's. Like Jules I think the Saints are a tad overated and the 49ers a tad underated. I don't think there's a clear cut favorite.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
It's a tough one. I can't call it right now. Weather/injuries and various things can come into it in the end.

I try to make things interesting at times too and stick up for the Niners. It is not as interesting to me if everyone just calls a Packers at Saints title game. The playoffs often can have a trick up their sleeve in either conference or in both. The Packers would still have to win one home game for the Packers/Saints title game to happen and the Saints one home game and one road game with a lot of traveling.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'd go with the Saints but I think it would be a lot closer than people think. The 9ers have the personnel to not only force the Saints to be one dimensional but they have the ability to get to the QB with guys like Aldon Smith.

The Niners inability to score when they get into the red zone will be the reason they lose. Candlestick Park I think would be a tough atmosphere though. The niners haven't been to the playoffs in a while. Also just last year the Saints were in a close game with the Niners, not that it matters a ton, but a minus a few players here and there these are pretty much the same teams.

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints, easily. Their defense is stopping the run much better than they did last season and the earlier games this year. SF is a run first team. The Saints would also get to Alex Smith easily. I do think the defense would create some problems here and there, but with those weapons they got, I'd look for them to score heavy on them.

I agree with Bogart - the Saints defense has actually improved these past few games. They have been able to stop the run- which is huge for them. 49ers offense resembles that of Atlanta's - they run a lot of check downs and run Gore. Something New Orleans have seen. Saints give up a lot of yards on blown coverages though --- lots of blitzing etc. However, 49ers offense is not that strong -- they don't take major chances down the field either.

I don't think 49ers defense will be able to stop the Saints offense they have way too much weapons. If the 49ers start falling behind they do not have a powerful offense to keep pace with the Saints. Even though it will be in Frisco and temperatures will be cold--- the main factor might be wind -- since it can get windy in Frisco. However, I think the Saints will manage and they will prove they can win on the road.

Of course like Jules mentioned .... Saints would most likely have a home game before getting to Frisco.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very dangerous statement kitten. ;) I hope like hell that the Packers D steps it up for the playoffs. I believe they can and are capable. Luckily they will have homefield so that is huge. Good D's travel well......it's why teams like the Jets of the last few seasons, the Ravens/Steelers and teams like that and last years Pack can win as a road team so well IMO.

I am not sure how I feel this Saints D will travel yet. They look very scary in the dome and against certain teams but I am still uncertain.

I sadly could see an early exit or two in the postseason by one or two offensive heavy/porous defensive teams. I hope it's teams like NE and NO over the Packers though.

The Saints do have a very tough o line to crack though so that would be a challenge for SF.

Saints at Niners is what I really really would love to see now. It would be awesome. If the Niners fall behind too much I think they are in trouble but if they can keep the game within reach going into the 4th it's up in the air.
I love watching an elite D go up against an elite O.

I wasn't speaking of the Packers defense, I was speaking of the 49'ers and Saints defenses as related to their potential match-up! :eek:

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Sorry Kitten I get off track at times or misunderstand lol.

Good point southpaw, I remember that game last year with the Saints/Niners. Great game. I did not think the Niners had a shot but they sure proved me wrong.

Overall here is what you have to hope for Packers fans. You hope that the Saints and Niners beat the crap out of each other. Very simple. You hope the Saints first two playoff games are grueling so that if they did win the first two by the time they get to GB they might run out of gas eventually. Not talking injuries but just physical wear and tear and stuff. The Niners are a physical team and a team I do believe win or lose can put a slight beating on the Saints. And for the Niners if they managed to get by the Saints they would have a ton of confidence they could repeat it again in GB but easier said then done.

Once again homefield is going to be HUGE in a tough NFC this season.

A quick example. In 2006 the Patriots had to win at home vs. the Jets go across the country and knock off a well rested Chargers team and then go back home and then to Indy. Eventually during the AFCCG I felt their defense started to get gassed (and it was a good D that year) and worn down. And the Colts had the much easier road to get to the SB; at home vs. KC, in Baltimore and at home again. It was not as much traveling.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Big Ben was hurt but look at what the Niners did to the Steelers who can run the ball and spread it out effectively and are also superbowl contenders.

Held them to 3 points.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
In San Francisco?! Gotta go with the 49ers. The unpredictable winds that swirl around candlestick will equalize the Saints aerial attack. If you've ever been to S.F. in Jan. you KNOW about the cold winds. I usually don't put alot of stock in homefield advantage but the weather in S.F. in Jan. is no joke. 49ers win a close one.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
In San Francisco?! Gotta go with the 49ers. The unpredictable winds that swirl around candlestick will equalize the Saints aerial attack. If you've ever been to S.F. in Jan. you KNOW about the cold winds. I usually don't put alot of stock in homefield advantage but the weather in S.F. in Jan. is no joke. 49ers win a close one.

Interesting. I am intrigued now. Sounds kinda cool.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

Intriguing indeed but if the 49'ers somehow manage to knock the Saints out of the playoffs, at home or not, I'll eat crow. I'll kill it, cook it and you can hand feed it to me.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I would love to see Smith vs. Rodgers to show just how wrong SF was for choosing him.

And yes, I know a younger Mike McCarthy had some input in that.

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints are the team that makes me uncomfortable... they are playing well, peaking at the right time? Maybe I need a hug or something....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints are not too excited to go to San Fran I can tell you that.
They cannot believe that their (Saints) loss to the Rams is the one that is going to cost them A) a bye and B) a home game vs the Niners.
Ironically, the Niners must win this week at St Louis too, in order to get that #2 seed.

If they can do what the Saints could not, they deserve the 2 seed, the bye, and the home game vs the Saints.
I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts