improved defence

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone started this thread too soon...

BJ Raji not playing today, Morgan Burnett still out, we gotta get those guys back. Don't like Matthews in coverage, he's a pass rusher.

We better do something about TE matchup problems cuz we got more of them otw with Owen Daniels and Greg Olsen upcoming.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game does not overall 5, especially when a lot of points were not given up
To expect any player or unit to consistently perform well would be asking for too much. The other guys are getting paid real money to win football games too. The fact that this team hasn't always performed elite in different aspects, but other aspects have and players have stepped up to pick up the slack and take us to 6-0 going into the bye is the important and really only thing.

An NFL season is full of ebbs and flows. The same ones in the chat calling the defense trash and not playoff caliber after the game were the same ones calling out the offense just a short week ago. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the 6-0 record and being in the drivers seat for another division title and possible homefield advantage; where even the harshest critics would have a hard enough time betting against this team given their recent history. Enjoy the ride guys:tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd be curious to know the run grade PFF gave Palmer for this game. It should have been poor.

PFF doesn't offer their premium stats to customers anymore but a grading system instead. They have Palmer with a 37.2 (out of 100) overall grade with a 25.0 grade for his run defense. According to them a player with an overall grade of under 60 should be replaced.

I think the run defense has been very strong early in games when it has mattered most. We've been getting plenty of first half three and outs, got our lead while having good field position and put our opponents in come-back mode. I expect more of the same today.

The entire team has started fast so far this season outscoring opponents by a margin of 57 points in the first quarter (66-9). The next best team in the league is Cincinnati at 29.

We better do something about TE matchup problems cuz we got more of them otw with Owen Daniels and Greg Olsen upcoming.

Before yesterday's game the Packers allowed an average of 52.6 receiving yards to tight ends which ranked 20th in the league. You have to consider that the team faced elite TEs in Bennett, Graham and Kelce over that period though and according to Football Outsiders ranked 3rd in DVOA against TEs through five weeks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game, but listened on the radio and it sounded rough. Every play seemed as if Rivers would go back and fire the ball within 2 seconds for an 11+ yard gain. I wanted to tell Wayne to **** :) I was able to catch some video highlights online, and I realize they are highlights, but it seemed we had decent coverage on those at least and they just made great plays. I don't know how true to reality that is, but it's the best I can do.

this team did make some plays when it counted, i have to give them credit, but let's hope this was just a blip for the season. Rivers and that offense were on fire. I can't believe they didn't score 45+ the way it sounded.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game, but listened on the radio and it sounded rough. Every play seemed as if Rivers would go back and fire the ball within 2 seconds for an 11+ yard gain. I wanted to tell Wayne to **** :) I was able to catch some video highlights online, and I realize they are highlights, but it seemed we had decent coverage on those at least and they just made great plays. I don't know how true to reality that is, but it's the best I can do.

this team did make some plays when it counted, i have to give them credit, but let's hope this was just a blip for the season. Rivers and that offense were on fire. I can't believe they didn't score 45+ the way it sounded.
Randall is allowing too much separation on inside routes. I'm sure the coaches are working with him. Some of this stuff takes time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This was a wake up call to fans and the team..

I was sure it would be a blow out...

We really got to no pass rush like we were used to.. rivers got rid of the ball very fast.

He did it all game...but still when they needed stops that did show up..

Offense has some issues but I'm sure once all wr are back they will be fine

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense has some issues but I'm sure once all wr are back they will be fine
Agreed. I suspect also we'll see more passes to RBs and Tight ends underneath. If Denver has a weakness, it's covering tight ends.

H

HardRightEdge

Randall is allowing too much separation on inside routes. I'm sure the coaches are working with him. Some of this stuff takes time.
I've observed this previously; inside routes are the only times he's looked iffy. The same can be said of Shields for a couple of years running. I wouldn't be so sure the emphasis isn't protecting against the sideline deep ball.

H

HardRightEdge

PFF doesn't offer their premium stats to customers anymore but a grading system instead. They have Palmer with a 37.2 (out of 100) overall grade with a 25.0 grade for his run defense. According to them a player with an overall grade of under 60 should be replaced.
That run rating should go up a scooch for this week if only for lack of opportunity. Out of curiosity, how have they graded Hawk this year? I've not seen him play.

Sky King

Reaction score
Agreed, not sure Richard Rodgers is capable of exploiting that weakness though.
With Rodgers, the hope is that he can fulfill two out of three of the TE physical skills: Catch, block, and YAC. He's got really good hands; so-so at best as a blocker; and not at all speedy or elusive enough even for modest YAC numbers. The latter is probably not within his capabilities. Here's hoping that he can learn to become an accomplished blocker.

D

Deleted member 6794

That run rating should go up a scooch for this week if only for lack of opportunity. Out of curiosity, how have they graded Hawk this year? I've not seen him play.

Hawk has an overall grade of 51.0 with a 55.8 grade defending the run.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Whatever ails the defense, Hawk certainly is not the cure. We - or at least I - don't need PFF to make that determination.

H

HardRightEdge

Hawk has an overall grade of 51.0 with a 55.8 grade defending the run.
I should have asked this before when you were looking this stuff up, but it just occurred to me.

How's our boy (or shall I say ex-boy) Kendricks' ratings so far. Like Hawk, I haven't seem him play.

I read something going into week 1 that MIN was planning to use him as a nickel backer initially, but I see his D snaps jumped after that, so he must be doing some run defending, an aspect where I thought he was underrated:

14%, 68%, 55%, 56%, ? (Football Outsiders doesn't have week 5 data for Minnesota for some odd reason.)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should have asked this before when you were looking this stuff up, but it just occurred to me.

How's our boy (or shall I say ex-boy) Kendricks' ratings so far. Like Hawk, I haven't seem him play.

I read something going into week 1 that MIN was planning to use him as a nickel backer initially, but I see his D snaps jumped after that, so he must be doing some run defending, an aspect where I thought he was underrated:

14%, 68%, 55%, 56%, ? (Football Outsiders doesn't have week 5 data for Minnesota for some odd reason.)
I watched a couple plays of that game during a short pit stop driving home yesterday and 1 of the handful was the TE Kelce on a big big gainer with him trailing in coverage. Not sure it's indicative of his overall play, but it's funny that was one of about 5 plays I got to see.

H

HardRightEdge

I watched a couple plays of that game during a short pit stop driving home yesterday and 1 of the handful was the TE Kelce on a big big gainer with him trailing in coverage. Not sure it's indicative of his overall play, but it's funny that was one of about 5 plays I got to see.
I did not see this game at all, but I see that he had 9 solo tackles, 1 sack, 1 hit and 1 pass defended. KC scored 10 points. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect his play wasn't all bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kendricks' grades: 56.9 overall, 81.6 run defense, 33.6 coverage, 69.2 pass rush.

I haven't seen him play either but I would have expected him doing better in coverage.

The Vikings had a bye last week.

H

HardRightEdge

Kendricks' grades: 56.9 overall, 81.6 run defense, 33.6 coverage, 69.2 pass rush.

I haven't seen him play either but I would have expected him doing better in coverage.

The Vikings had a bye last week.
Bye week? Duh!

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at the replay of the long Kelce catch. Kendricks stepped up on play action, Kelce crossed behind him into an open spot in the zone. By the time Kendricks reacted Kelce was in space with steps on him. For whatever that's worth.

The thing that jumped out at me is he looks bigger than what we saw in his college tape or the 232 lbs. at the Combine. Various web sites, including the Vikings', are still showing that 232 lbs., but we know how that goes. I'd guess he's up to 245, maybe more.

During draft talk I thought his run defense was being underrated; to my eye the instincts and flow to the ball were there. If I'm right about the added bulk, then the components are there for a run defender.

The pass defense rating is surprising. He might be a tick or two slower with more weight; it could be that while a nose for the ball came with the package, getting in sync with the Vikes zone schemes might still be a challenge.

I look forward to seeing him play a couple times this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

The pass defense rating is surprising. He might be a tick or two slower with more weight; it could be that while a nose for the ball came with the package, getting in sync with the Vikes zone schemes might still be a challenge.

It seems like the Vikings coaching staff isn't agreeing with the PFF grades as 74.9% of his snaps have come on pass plays.

H

HardRightEdge

It seems like the Vikings coaching staff isn't agreeing with the PFF grades as 74.9% of his snaps have come on pass plays.
Well, if they've concluded they do in fact have the player they thought they'd have when they drafted him, they may be willing to take some early lumps to shorten the learning curve. I think we've seen the same with Randall, but we're gratified there have not been many lumps.

Camp, preseason, in-season practice...all very important. But there's no substitute for money game experience.

That Kelce play illustrates another point. It's difficult to assign responsibility in zone coverage from the outside. While Sky King, myself, PFF, or anybody else had a gun to their head (and PFF does have a self-imposed requirement) and had to make a judgment on that play, Kendricks is the obvious choice as the responsible party. What we don't know is whether the Vikes would have expected a safety to come up and fill that spot, or whether they would have wanted the LB who lined up over Kelce's face to stay with him instead of releasing him. I think you have to see a lot of games, and a developing pattern if there is one, to get a feel for what this play says about the player.

Members online

Latest posts