I'm Starting To Worry About Grant

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Grant is one of those runners that needs a lot of carries in a game to get his head of steam going and our offense doesn't fit that kind of runner anymore.

Reaction score
Grant is just a guy at this point. Can't make guys miss and can't run anyone over. Protects the ball well and pass-protects well and that's about it now.

The last time he protected the ball well Seattle went up 14-0 the first two minutes of a playoff game.

D

Dan115

I do not question his heart. He just is not the player he was a few years ago. Running back is a tough position.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s surprising to see this coming from a Packers fan. No heart, really? Couldn’t disagree more. Just because Starks has surpassed him doesn’t mean Grant plays with no heart. Go back to week three against the Bears. By your standard one would have to conclude it was Starks who was heartless. But of course that’s not true either. Re-watch yesterday’s game: packerfan4ever is right, Grant was pushing the pile against the Lions.

Grant was the guy who accepted a million dollar decrease in salary this season in order to stay on the Packers. He didn’t whine or complain. (In “real life” that’s no big deal, in the NFL that’s the exception to the rule.) He’s not the player he was before all the collisions and injury but the charge of “no heart” is baseless.

As far as taking care of the ball, you’re right: He lost two fumbles on consecutive drives to start that playoff game against Seattle. The rest of the story is he made up for those mistakes by rushing for 201 yards (a franchise playoff record) and 3 TDs in 27 carries for a 7.4 average. According to NFL stats, during the stretch from his arrival in Green Bay through the 2009 season he fumbled 6 times, losing 5. He touched the ball 855 times (rushing and receiving) and fumbled 6 times.
+1

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll be a Packer next year but as backup to Starks and possibly even Saine. The Packers are getting into more of a running game and I think we need Grant to help make that transition. With Alex Green hopefully being healthy next year and Saine, it would be awesome for Grant to kind of school these guys.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant won't be back next year. With Starks and Green we have better ball carriers. Grant isn't the player he once was. I believe he also knows it and that was the reason he took less money to stay. Starks does need to polish up on his receiving skills.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has no burst like at all. 2 yd carries every time. Starks has 3 yd carries but can get that 10-15 rumbling once in a while. Can't say the same about Grant.

Magnus Chhan

Mag 'n Cheese
Reaction score
I also think that Grant will be let go after this year, due to lack of production and to clear more cap space to sign guys like Finley. I think Clifton will be gone too. Driver will probably leave on his own terms; but in saying that, I'm really excited to see what Gurley can do.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with the comments about him being slow and having no burst. He just doesn't look like he cuts or moves very fast compared to other RBs. I'm sure it has something to do with his knee and ankle injuries he's had. too bad.

RickInAZ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if Driver's going, let's have him go out a WINNER!
I'd love to see Driver stick around as a wide receivers coach if he does decide to retire in the next couple of years. The guy's attitude is great, his ability is fantastic, and he knows the Packers offense better than nearly anyone.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how fast a player can fall from greatness nowadays.

2 words:

Shawn Alexander

2005 MVP out of the league by 2008.

I'll never forget my co-worker got a sz 50 jersey for x-mas in 2006. It was too small for him, instead of getting a bigger size he went on a diet. The seahawks cut Alexander in 2008, at the time of his release my co-worker still didn't fit in a sz. 50. He NEVER got to wear the jersey. :whistling:

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
2 words:

Shawn Alexander

2005 MVP out of the league by 2008.

I'll never forget my co-worker got a sz 50 jersey for x-mas in 2006. It was too small for him, instead of getting a bigger size he went on a diet. The seahawks cut Alexander in 2008, at the time of his release my co-worker still didn't fit in a sz. 50. He NEVER got to wear the jersey. :whistling:

Yeah, but Grant wasn't on the cover of madden lol. Just ask Peyton Hillis how that Madden cover is working out for him.