I'm Starting To Worry About Grant

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Even with the limited carries he's getting it seems like he is getting a small ding/injury every time we play him.

Not good.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no long term future with Grant. Thanks for your years of service. The snow game alone should get him into the Packers HOF. Nice story he had.

D

Dan115

I think we are watching the last year of Clifton,Grant and maybe even Driver as Packers.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Grant is slow, can't make cuts and no longer breaks tackles. Saine showed enough today to get some more serious game time down the stretch. We should try to get a 5th or 6th round pick for Grant.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think Grant is momentum runner. The more consecutive touches he gets the more productive he becomes. Just this season when we played the bears there was a drive I believe in the 3rd quarter where he got 8 carries for like 60 yards and with every carry his vision was getting better, he knew where the holes were going to open up and he picked up more and more yards every time he got the ball.

That's just what I've seen. Grant is never going to be able to put together good runs or be a productive back having to split carries with Starks. And it's not even really splitting carries. Grant gets maybe 5 carries a game if that.

L

Lunchboxer

Id say give him another year. Also no OTAs and other offseason stuff was not helping.

I say dont give up on him yet.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say I agree with not keeping him around. As much as I hate to speak ill of any Green Bay Packers, I believe the team can be better overall with out him. I will admitt that he has not been getting a ton of carries, but neither has Starks and Starks produces better numbers and key first downs. If Starks got 15 - 20 carries a game he would be a 75 - 100 yard rusher evety week. Even the little we saw of Saine look better than Grant recently, but it is too early to make a judgement on him yet.

My heart will always hold a special place for Ryan Grant, but the needs of the team out weigh the needs of the one player.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted Thompson will let him go after this season, Grant has already had to negotiate a 1 million cut from his pay salary to be on the team, he hasn't been productive at all this season (neither has any back though) and he's not what he used to be.

With Starks, Green and Saine, I cant see TT keeping him for another year.

Same goes for Clifton, I wreckon this will be his last year as a Packer. Possibly Driver aswell but I wreckon if this is Drivers last year it will be because he retires himself.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yep, as much as I like Grant, he is only marginal as a running back anymore. He always did have a problem with vision for the open hole, but now he seems to be moving slower.

Reaction score
idk if he's still getting his groove back from that ankle injury...
it took wes welker and brady a year to get back to form from their injuries...they had knee injuries thou.
the whole "lost a step" thing could be said about Finley, he hasn't played like his 2009 self yet.

Ryan Grant this year is basically our Kevin Faulk/Sammy Morris type... idk, I like no.25
blah.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Grant had one of his better days yesterday. When he had the ball he kept pushing forward where I thought he got nothing he got 3 yrds,some I do think he may be gone after the season,more because of Green.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I knew Starks would take his job during this season, because he gets more yards and moves the chains.

Nothing against Ryan Grant,but he's not an every down back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with Southpaw, Grant needs reps to get going. He’s a work horse who needs work. Let’s not forget how he revived the Packers running game after arriving in Green Bay. He had a fantastic 2.5 seasons before getting hurt in the first game last year. Over that period he started 37 games, had 782 carries for 3,412 yards and 23 TDs. That’s a very respectable 4.4 ypc average. I view Grant as a good backup RB at this point. I don’t worry at all about him. The Packers running game along with outlet passes to RBs has to be just good enough so opponents have to respect it and can’t tie off on Rodgers. Notice that the Packers O in the first half yesterday was mostly no huddle with a greater than usual emphasis on the pass and only after returning to a more balanced look and attack in the second half did it start to take off.

Grant’s deal is up at the end of this season so they would have to re-sign him to trade him. And why would they want him back for one year when they have Starks, Green, Saine, and perhaps a draftee returning next season? Not only that but re-signing him would mean giving him a signing bonus – not worth it for one season and IMO it’s not necessary.

Of the three mentioned in this thread, I think it’s most likely Driver returns. He’s only the nominal starter at this point but depending on his salary it may make sense to keep him around as the #4 or #5 WR next year. He has a great work ethic and keeps himself in top shape. Still, Thompson may decide it time to move on and promote Gurley or a newcomer to the active roster.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Grant is momentum runner. The more consecutive touches he gets the more productive he becomes. Just this season when we played the bears there was a drive I believe in the 3rd quarter where he got 8 carries for like 60 yards and with every carry his vision was getting better, he knew where the holes were going to open up and he picked up more and more yards every time he got the ball.

That's just what I've seen. Grant is never going to be able to put together good runs or be a productive back having to split carries with Starks. And it's not even really splitting carries. Grant gets maybe 5 carries a game if that.

That's because Starks is a better runner hands down. I have my own theory about "momentum runners." The reason they don't produce well until they get a lot of carries under their belt is because those guys aren't instinctive runners who can react quickly to what the defense gives them. Instead they have to study the defense's tendencies throughout the game and as the game wears on, they start to anticipate more where the holes might be based on what the defense did earlier in the game.

Reaction score
I was expecting at least an approximation of a 1000+ yard rusher. How did he last as long as he did if he keeps getting banged up now?
He didn't really last all that long, just 2 1/2 seasons as a featured back. At 28 coming off a serious injury, it's not the least bit surprising that he's starting to slow down and has gotten his job usurped by a younger, better back. He has no burst now and struggles with cuts.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Grant is just a guy at this point. Can't make guys miss and can't run anyone over. Protects the ball well and pass-protects well and that's about it now.

Members online

Latest posts