If you draft this guy??

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's play a game shall we? I'm going to throw out six potential players the Packers could get at 21, and I want you to tell me which player you like the most, and what type of career and impact he will have in the Green and Gold.

NT Louis Nix-it could be Rajis last year and Green Bay and we do lack depth on the DLine. Nix is a mountain of a man who is hard to move.

FS Calvin Pryor- MD Jennings was the worse starting safety in the league last yr. Pryor is an aggressive tackler and has solid ball skills, but can he help us get over Nick Collins? We need a safety who can have an impact in the game.

TE Jace Amarro- do we trust that Quarless and Bostic can be the guy at tightend? Quarless is a good blocker and Bostic is a good receiver but amarro can do both. Kill two birds with 1 stone??

Wr Odell Beckman- one of the most polished Wrs in the draft .Beckman brings big play ability and toughness to the wr position. He can get deep or work the middle. There is really no depth at wr behind Boykin and Is Cobb fully recovered? What about Jordys hamstrings? We are 1 wr getting injured away from being in the same boat as last yr at the position.

CB Jason Varrett - Varrett is a stud corner. Will come up and support the run and is quick and fast enough to stay with Wrs. Tramon Williams is in his final yr and there are whispers that Hyde is moving to FS. With Hayward missing basically the entire yr due to his hamstring it's hard to ignore adding a solid corner early on the draft.

Olb Ryan Shazier- ill keep this short and sweet. Ryan Shazier is probally the BEST athlete in the draft...and he plays linebacker.

*my pick would be Shazier. It was a close one between him and Pryor but i think Shazier will be in the running for rookie of the year as well a future DPOY. Shazier can play any backer position and get this? Stay on the field all 3 downs without looking like a stiff in the process!!

With capers apparently putting together some hybrid defensive packages if love to see Shazier lined up opposite Matthews with Peppers doing his thing. He's an upgrade over every backer minus Clay Matthews and I think he could make a handful of pro bowls and bring some athleticism and speed to this defense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Out of those six guys I would like the Packers to draft Pryor, mainly because I don't want any of the other guys though.

Three of those guys don't even fit the Packers need as the Packers don't need another WR under 6-0 in Beckham, nor another slot corner in Verrett or a misfit for a 3-4 defense in Shazier.

Marco Campos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shazier definitely with Peppers in the position of "elephant", can be adjusted very well to the scheme Capers and replace Nick Perry

D

Deleted member 6794

Shazier definitely with Peppers in the position of "elephant", can be adjusted very well to the scheme Capers and replace Nick Perry

Shazier weighed in at 237 pounds at the combine but played closer to 225 at Ohio State.

No way he could play strong side OLB in a 3-4. Teams would run to his side all the time.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shazier weighed in at 237 pounds at the combine but played closer to 225 at Ohio State.

No way he could play strong side OLB in a 3-4. Teams would run to his side all the time.

I disagree. Like I say all the time it's easy to put on pounds in the NFL. Shazier could get up to 240 and be fine, so the argument of him being to "small" is becoming moot at this point. Plenty of guys have faired well at linebacker in the 3-4 who didn't weigh 245 pounds. I don't think his weight will handicap him in either scheme.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of those six guys I would like the Packers to draft Pryor, mainly because I don't want any of the other guys though.

Three of those guys don't even fit the Packers need as the Packers don't need another WR under 6-0 in Beckham, nor another slot corner in Verrett or a misfit for a 3-4 defense in Shazier.

How do you figure? Did you see what I posted about Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, and Micah Hyde? So don't assume Varrett would be thrust into the slot role .

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree. Like I say all the time it's easy to put on pounds in the NFL. Shazier could get up to 240 and be fine, so the argument of him being to "small" is becoming moot at this point. Plenty of guys have faired well at linebacker in the 3-4 who didn't weigh 245 pounds. I don't think his weight will handicap him in either scheme.

I haven't seen him play with 240 pounds, so I don't know if it takes away some of his athleticism.

But even if he does it's ridiculous to think he could be succesful on the strong side facing a TE 20-25 pounds heavier than him in addition to the tackle.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could actually see him being a SS, and a pretty good one. Kinda like Thomas Davis when he came out of Georgia. An athletic olb who ended up being a SS in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you figure? Did you see what I posted about Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, and Micah Hyde? So don't assume Varrett would be thrust into the slot role .

I don't care what you posted about Williams, Hayward or Hyde, Verrett is a slot corner and we don't need another one.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so he gains a few pounds? So now instead of a 4.3 he runs a 4.4 and now has a 38 inch vertical instead of a 41 inch vertical. :-/ still one heck of an athlete if you ask me. You know he wouldn't be successful because? Sounds like you are reaching.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what you posted about Williams, Hayward or Hyde, Verrett is a slot corner and we don't need another one.

Why is he a slot corner? Please tell me why he couldn't line up on the outside? Because wherever he gets drafted he's either going to be outside or have the ability to go line up inside to ...but he's not just a slot corner dude.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok so he gains a few pounds? So now instead of a 4.3 he runs a 4.4 and now has a 38 inch vertical instead of a 41 inch vertical. :-/ still one heck of an athlete if you ask me. You know he wouldn't be successful because? Sounds like you are reaching.

I don't have any doubt that Shazier is a great athlete but he's not a good fit in a 3-4 defense (maybe, just maybe he could play weak side OLB). He's not strong enough to play on the strong side and isn't capable to disengage blocks to play inside.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am with Rodell on this one all the way assuming those are the only ones to pick from. First of all Shazier can play inside linebacker in a 3-4 as long as he has a good scraper next to help free him up. You could plug him in right in between Hawk and Matthews. He is thicker then Brad Jones and way more explosive athlete. He appears stronger then Jones too (28 reps bench). Immediate upgrade. He potentially could be awesome at shooting gaps. Shazier's film looks good. He plays fast and has a nose for the ball. Appears to be a solid tackler(doesn't miss a lot of tackles) and makes a lot of plays. I am not a huge combine guy but 6'1 237 pound guys that run 4.3 forty with a 42 inch vertical jump don't come along that often. I have shared all off-season that middle of D needs to be more athletic. Niners and Seahawks are in the way of the Super Bowl. They both have fast QB's. He could spy Kaepernick and Wilson and help with the "read-option". Tired of seeing Kaepernick running all over us. Peppers, Hawk, Shazier, Matthews would look nice. I wouldn't cry if somehow Mosley dropped to 21 either.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean I guess Pryor or varrett. You made a not-so-great list. Pryor could help the D but I don't know if he would really be an improvement over Burnett at FS... Unless in the next round we took brooks and had two rookie starting safeties with Burnett as a back up. I guess Pryor at SS and brooks at FS would be an improvement. Varrett would mainly play a Hayward role and we have Hayward for that. I would rather trade back than draft any of those prospects besides possibly Pryor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean I guess Pryor or varrett. You made a not-so-great list. Pryor could help the D but I don't know if he would really be an improvement over Burnett at FS... Unless in the next round we took brooks and had two rookie starting safeties with Burnett as a back up. I guess Pryor at SS and brooks at FS would be an improvement. Varrett would mainly play a Hayward role and we have Hayward for that. I would rather trade back than draft any of those prospects besides possibly Pryor.

But if Pryor was still available, there would probably be a trade offer to get him worth more than his value, so I'd probably still want to trade and secure the brooks selection late 1st or early 2nd.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why is he a slot corner? Please tell me why he couldn't line up on the outside?

Verrett is a tough, undersized corner who is fast and strong enough to press slot receivers at the line. In addition he's willing in run support.

He doesn't possess the height and length though playing outside and has troubles locating the ball with his back turned to the LOS and tackling in space.

H

HardRightEdge

Niners and Seahawks are in the way of the Super Bowl. They both have fast QB's. He could spy Kaepernick and Wilson and help with the "read-option". Tired of seeing Kaepernick running all over us.

That's clearly the reason Shazier has gotten a lot of traction. I think it's somewhat misguided.

Drafting a player to address two specific teams is a dubious proposition to start with. We did not have much trouble containing Wilson in our last meeting, and Kaepernick most recently gashed us breaking contain against man coverage, not out of the read option. Besides, these teams show read option rather than feature it...read option has begun its slow death as some of us predicted last off season.

The solution is two-fold:

1. Get an effective 4 man pass rush rush, cut back on the blitzes, and play more zone, ergo Peppers.

2. Find a way to counter their physical 2-deep coverages.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's clearly the reason Shazier has gotten a lot of traction. I think it's somewhat misguided.

Drafting a player to address two specific teams is a dubious proposition to start with. We did not have much trouble containing Wilson in our last meeting, and Kaepernick most recently gashed us breaking contain against man coverage, not out of the read option. Besides, these teams show read option rather than feature it...read option has begun its slow death as some of us predicted last off season.

The solution is two-fold:

1. Get an effective 4 man pass rush rush, cut back on the blitzes, and play more zone, ergo Peppers.

2. Find a way to counter their physical 2-deep coverages.

Yeah, Read option is a small part of the playbook especially for the Seahawks. I don't agree with drafting a player for a couple of teams either. I do think Shazier has huge upside and has potential to help against all teams. TT could strike "gold" or "fools gold" with Shazier no doubt. I am well aware that big combine and pro day numbers don't always equate success in the NFL. I see combine numbers as one of several tools to measure talent. I am sure everyone can remember a guy named "Tony Manderich". I picked Shazier based on the list heading the post. This is why I am much more comfortable with C.J Mosley. I know TT doesn't draft up much but I think it would be well warranted to move up a couple picks if needed to grab Mosley.

Countering the Physical 2 deep: Smack them right back in the mouth and run ball. Then run ball. Then run ball. Bring them down closer to the box and let Aaron play action off run and it's "Lambeau Leap Time". This is why I am so excited to hopefully see Bulaga healthy and offensive line gel.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am with Rodell on this one all the way assuming those are the only ones to pick from. First of all Shazier can play inside linebacker in a 3-4 as long as he has a good scraper next to help free him up. You could plug him in right in between Hawk and Matthews. He is thicker then Brad Jones and way more explosive athlete. He appears stronger then Jones too (28 reps bench). Immediate upgrade. He potentially could be awesome at shooting gaps. Shazier's film looks good. He plays fast and has a nose for the ball. Appears to be a solid tackler(doesn't miss a lot of tackles) and makes a lot of plays. I am not a huge combine guy but 6'1 237 pound guys that run 4.3 forty with a 42 inch vertical jump don't come along that often. I have shared all off-season that middle of D needs to be more athletic. Niners and Seahawks are in the way of the Super Bowl. They both have fast QB's. He could spy Kaepernick and Wilson and help with the "read-option". Tired of seeing Kaepernick running all over us. Peppers, Hawk, Shazier, Matthews would look nice. I wouldn't cry if somehow Mosley dropped to 21 either.

A 3-4 ILB has to be able to deal with blocks from OL getting through to the second level as there are only three DL playing in front of them. With the Packers wanting to get more athletic on the line it's fair to assume the DE won't be asked eating up two blocks very often.

While Shazier is a superb athlete he 's not great getting off blocks, making him not a great fit at ILB for a 3-4.

D

Deleted member 6794

Countering the Physical 2 deep: Smack them right back in the mouth and run ball. Then run ball. Then run ball. Bring them down closer to the box and let Aaron play action off run and it's "Lambeau Leap Time". This is why I am so excited to hopefully see Bulaga healthy and offensive line gel.

Bulaga got abused the last time we played the Seahawks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
A 3-4 ILB has to be able to deal with blocks from OL getting through to the second level as there are only three DL playing in front of them. With the Packers wanting to get more athletic on the line it's fair to assume the DE won't be asked eating up two blocks very often.

While Shazier is a superb athlete he 's not great getting off blocks, making him not a great fit at ILB for a 3-4.

Shazier isn't my favorite pick. He is of the one's listed. He is a one of those picks that could be 'boom or bust". How can you say he cant' get off blocks when he hasn't even had the opportunity in the NFL to do it yet. I will roll the dice on Shazier over Brad Jones any day. Jones is soft and mostly a liability inside. Jones and Burnett both need to be replaced. Otherwise they will be targeted and if you don't believe me go back and watch the tape.

Did you see Brad Jones eyes after the Detroit lions game? He looked like a "deer in headlights"

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Bulaga got abused the last time we played the Seahawks.

Well Seahawks D got a little softer at interior D-line. They wont sack Rodgers 8 times this game and you cant even compare Pack running game to the team that played Seahawks last time

Members online

Latest posts