If you could change any NFL rules.....

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I dislike how the officials have become more and more in control of the outcome of the NFL game. This is what happened in the NBA and is one of the primary reasons I no longer am a basketball fan. I remember back when Lambeer was with the Detroit Pistons. If the refs called a tight game, Pistons lose. If they allow those elbows, Piston win. The joke in the NBA is still that no matter what the score, it's anyone's game in the 4th quarter as the refs usually let the losing team back into the game.

So, any rules changes, imo, should be to reduce the impact that officials have on the game. The three most subjective and often game-changing calls today are: Offensive holding, Pass Interference calls, and spotting the forward progress of the ball.

My suggestions below are not very good, but the intent is simply remove the human involvement in the areas I just mentioned above:

1. Require Offensive linemen to wear thick gloves (or "clubs", like the one currently worn by Jenkins). Then, eliminate the rule on offensive holding. Anything that they can grab through those thick gloves is fair game. Other players (all the eligible receivers and backs) can hold all they want.

2. Any non-holding contact with a receiver's hands and/or torso by the defender's hands and/or arms is allowed at all times. Incidental contact between the defenders legs with the receiver's legs (not intentional tripping) is also ok. Prior to the attempted catch, any contact with the receiver's helmet or significant contact from a defenders torso or shoulders remains Pass Interference or a Personal foul.

Examples:
a. Fighting for position and hand/arm battles are ok.
b. Hanging on an arm or holding a hand or jersey not ok.
c. Body chucking or jumping on a receiver right before the pass arrives not ok.
d. Running side by side and both guys go down in a tangle of legs is ok.
e. A defender sticking a leg out to interfere with a receiver's path is not ok.

3. Use modern technology to track the position of the ball. 1st down markers and ball spotting is done electronically and the ref simply places the ball on the laser mark shining on the turf.

I also think that the OT rules should match the collegiate rules. Get rid of Sudden Death.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
1. Require Offensive linemen to wear thick gloves (or "clubs", like the one currently worn by Jenkins). Then, eliminate the rule on offensive holding. Anything that they can grab through those thick gloves is fair game. Other players (all the eligible receivers and backs) can hold all they want.

Love this idea. If they dont want them to hold, make it so they cant. Doesn't even have to be a NFL rule, Head coaches can just incorporate this onto their team.

2. Any non-holding contact with a receiver's hands and/or torso by the defender's hands and/or arms is allowed at all times. Incidental contact between the defenders legs with the receiver's legs (not intentional tripping) is also ok. Prior to the attempted catch, any contact with the receiver's helmet or significant contact from a defenders torso or shoulders remains Pass Interference or a Personal foul.

FOR REAL! Its so annoying when they are both looking back for the ball and then they trip up eachother... if we on offense, its OPI, if we on Defense, its DPI... its ridiculous. Its noone's fault, let it fly.

3. Use modern technology to track the position of the ball. 1st down markers and ball spotting is done electronically and the ref simply places the ball on the laser mark shining on the turf.

I don't think this one is possible, because there's so much going on it would be really hard to find out, simultaneously, when the player's knee hit and where the ball was. I like the idea, but don't think this one is plausible like the other two.

Good post tho.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was under the understanding that refs performances are reviewed every week. Pretty sure you can file something if you feel like your team was screwed over too, but most teams drop it. Maybe im wrong though

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! I actually find the problems within the officiating system even more disturbing after reading that. I would still come down like the wrath of God on them. They'd never see such a ****, they should consider themselves lucky I am not in charge over there. They'd probably whine and moan to the league and eventually go on strike trying to get rid of the Hell Cat. LOL. Just a fantasy though, that's why I like this thread, I'd like to make up the rules and have them under my thumb.

Another rule that would go would be the coach can't throw a challenge flag inside the 2 minute warning. Since most game deciding plays often go down inside the 2 minute warning, particularly in the 4th, robbing the coach of the ability to challenge seems wrong to me. The booth review usually takes care of it, but sometimes they don't and it makes my blood boil when my team gets screwed by it.

NYC Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see pass interference limited to 15 yards like college. I'm sure Woodson does too! :grin:

This by far is the best change that they could make. PI calls are way too rewarding....I mean you can gain 60 yards on one penalty just on the fact a guy "could" have possibly caught the ball.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Ref in the booth. Put a ref in the booth with every single camera on a separate TV. This guy can call any penalty of make any judgement. He is in constant contact with the field ref - who throws the flag and announces the penalty.

2. All teams whose team name rhymes with 'crackers' gets an extra 10 pts.

3. A sensor will be put in both ends of the ball and sensors are located in the filed. Thereby, the exact location of the ball is known at any single moment. In the event of a pile up at the goal, there would be no discussion as to whether the ball cross the end zone prior to the knee being down. As soon as the ball crosses a light flashes or something like that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everytime a WR gets behind a CB, the CB would just tackle the WR. Why not? Can you imagine if Jennings breaks free, has a step, and AR launches a pass 50 yards for a probable touchdown. Instead the S just lunges at Jennings and trips him up. Instead of 50 yards (more probably 80 yards and a TD) we only get 10 yards and a first down? Don't like that idea at all.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! I actually find the problems within the officiating system even more disturbing after reading that. I would still come down like the wrath of God on them. They'd never see such a ****, they should consider themselves lucky I am not in charge over there. They'd probably whine and moan to the league and eventually go on strike trying to get rid of the Hell Cat. LOL. Just a fantasy though, that's why I like this thread, I'd like to make up the rules and have them under my thumb.
Your my kind of girl.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like I got some 'splainin to do....

It's fine that you disagree with me.
However, since you commented on my rule changing ideas, thought I would come back and justify them.

1) No more taking knees of the winning team in the final seconds of the game.
Each team must play as hard as they can until the clock winds down to 0.
The first rule you put players in risk of injury when a game is over.
1) I really wanted to see the Pack score one more TD against the Lions after their dismal fail on O in the second half of that game.
Instead they wimped out by taking a knee.
I can't stand it when teams do that no matter who it is or winning by how much.
It puts a damper on the excitement of the game for me.
There is nothing at all wrong with running up the score. Ever. If they don't want that to happen then the losing team could end the game by heading back into the locker room or have a mercy rule.
As far as preventing injuries? I dunno. But I think injuries are very rare in the final few seconds of a game even in those that do get played down to the wire.

2) During the last 5 minutes of regulation the clock will stop after each play is completed regardless of the outcome.
The second rule just makes the game longer.
Then they could remove some of the TV timeouts.
There's just something that bugs me about official clock management. And the O has to throw it to a reciever who then goes out of bounds or they hurry up to the line to spike the ball.
I dunno what it is but I think something should change in regards to how the clock goes.
3) No more "hurry up offenses." The offense must wait for the dfense to be in line and ready before the snap.
So that the D-fense doesn't stall, they will also have a play clock.
The Third rule helps the defense out dramatically because it allows for personnel changes, players get more rest, and it allows for the defense to make audibles.
I think the D-fense should have the same opportunites or chances as the Offense.
Why not make is as fair for them as it is for the O?
4) No more "Sudden death overtime" and no more tie games.
If the game goes into OT then it will be played the same way that college plays OT.
The only one i agree with is number 4.
Groovy.
5) Why bother with the extra point? Instead it will be 7 points for each TD.
A team can still go for a two point conversion to make it 9. But they must start from the 10 yard line to the goal.
Fifth rule is just stupid
What's stupid is watching the kicker make an easy point. There's snoballs in hell whenever it gets blocked.
Why not just give the 7 to them when they score the TD instead of wasting players time and energy?
Or make the Xtra point more challenging. Like into a more narrow set of uprights or back on the 50 yard line.
6) Each NFL referee will now have that as his full time job.
Sixth rule isn't to bad. It can be debated though.
This is from a previous idea posted on here.
I understand that Refs have other jobs as well.
The NFL could hire them full time and, like the players, they would get time off after football season.
Something should be done to make them better at their jobs so they don't miss face mask calls during crucial playoff games.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your my kind of girl.

I do have a Dark Side and I'm afraid those refs would see the worst of it. But I also have a soft heart so after I made them cry, I'd feel bad about it and probably make them some lasagna. Still, the point I was trying to make was I think somebody needs to be forceful in dealing with them. I don't know if they need a Hell Cat or what, but I think they could do with a good spanking or two to get them making the right calls and to fear the wrath if they don't. Obviously by what we Packer fans have witnesses so far, whatever they are doing is not working and I personally feel it is ruining the integrity of the league.

AlaskanWinter

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the deal....

(1) Eliminate XPs, only 2 point conversions, why bother when the pros have 99% success rate?
(2) Eliminate challenges but use any technology to assist the refs.
(3) Allow DBs more leeway, allow face-guarding, and contact on horribly thrown balls should not be pass interference, (ie, a DB trailing a WR and ball is woefully under-thrown, WR slows down and DB runs into him for a PI, nope, allow the DB his momentum.
(4) Narrow the goal posts and make kicks harder.
(5) Allow a bit more contact on QBs, I understand protecting them, but this year is a bit much.
(6) No more Kick-offs, just start at the 20.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can put a man on the moon then why can't they make the posts on the goal move back and forth towards and away from each other and in random patterns for the kicker to boot the ball through?
Then all they would have is the kicker with the ball on the T.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This by far is the best change that they could make. PI calls are way too rewarding....I mean you can gain 60 yards on one penalty just on the fact a guy "could" have possibly caught the ball.
I would go with half the distance to the point of infraction from the LOS with a 15 yard minimum. Automatic 1st down. 15 yards and loss of down by the offense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Smart play today by Cobb stepping oob before grabbing the kickoff thus making it an out of bounds kick. Stupid rule. The ball should have to break the sideline plane before it's out of bounds in this case.
Other rules I'd change.
1) Get two wrong challenges provided you have the timeouts. As long as you are correct, you should'nt lose a challenge.
2) Onfield celebrations are OK until the ball is marked in play for the next play.
3) To score, you have to establish a presence in the endzone, not just "break the plane." Ball touching down in the endzone is good as well as part of the body in the endzone with the ball "breaking the plane."
4) The ground cannot cause an incomplete pass if the player is being tackled as opposed to diving for the catch. If they had possession when tackled to the ground, it is a catch and tackle.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
No knee shots, stricter grading on the refs, repeal Blount rule, revise the tuck rule, allow coaches an extra challenge and make the penalties challengeable, get rid of that stupid replay rule, up the requirements for the replay officials, no more sudden death. I'm sure there are some I can't remember.

H

HardRightEdge

Change the 40 second clock to 35 seconds, then use the extra time for more reviewable plays.

Implement HGH testing.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
1)Get rid of the tuck rule
2)Do away w/the 15 yard penalty when a HC throws a challenge flag when they can't challenge.
3)if you have a DUI & commit vehicular homicide you will be suspended indefinitely,Period. (Brent is not the first NFL player to kill someone b/c of being drunk. Donte Stallworth did so & only spent 30 days in jail & paid the family off. He was suspended for 1 yr then allowed to play. Goodell said its an honor to play on the NFL but then he allows Stallworth to come back.
4)if a D-lineman hits a QBs helmet w/his hand it is not a penalty UNLESS it disrupts his throw

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the deal....

(1) Eliminate XPs, only 2 point conversions, why bother when the pros have 99% success rate?
(3) Allow DBs more leeway, allow face-guarding, and contact on horribly thrown balls should not be pass interference, (ie, a DB trailing a WR and ball is woefully under-thrown, WR slows down and DB runs into him for a PI, nope, allow the DB his momentum.
(5) Allow a bit more contact on QBs, I understand protecting them, but this year is a bit much.
This is the deal....

do u know how much excitement u would take away from the game if u take away the kick off.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule that Cobb knew today but I didn't seems a little ridiculous, even if we did benefit

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts