If the Packers had just one owner...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of all the 31 solo owners of all the other teams in the NFL, who do you think would make for the best fit as a Packers owner and why?

H

HardRightEdge

Out of all the 31 solo owners of all the other teams in the NFL, who do you think would make for the best fit as a Packers owner and why?
Some teams are owned by consortium, but please do not ask me to name them. But to answer your question, it would have to be a billionaire, and you'd prefer someone with strong local ties. Bon Jovi's name is mud in the Buffalo area because his consortium that recently bid for the Bills includes Canadian businessmen...the fear is they'll move the franchise 100 miles up the road to Toronto.

So, who are the billionaire names with strong ties to Wisconsin? Kohl, the Johnson Wax people, the Kohler family...somebody like that.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd step outside of the NFL. Probably Mark Cuban. Guy seems to genuinely love the Mavericks and stays the hell out of the GM's way. At the same time, spoils the players (for example) with private, player-only lounges that he himself stays out of.

Of course, he might also want to move the Packers at the first opportunity. But that'd be a risk with any single-owner.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HRE, I don't think that answers his question. He was talking about existing owners. Without putting too much thought into it, I'd say Bob Kraft. He knows how to fill his organization with people who understand how to build a solid cold weather team.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some teams are owned by consortium, but please do not ask me to name them. But to answer your question, it would have to be a billionaire, and you'd prefer someone with strong local ties. Bon Jovi's name is mud in the Buffalo area because his consortium that recently bid for the Bills includes Canadian businessmen...the fear is they'll move the franchise 100 miles up the road to Toronto.

So, who are the billionaire names with strong ties to Wisconsin? Kohl, the Johnson Wax people, the Kohler family...somebody like that.

I agree with your line of thought.

In terms of finding ownership with local ties, it would have to be a consortium because there just aren't individuals or families in Wisconsin that have the wherewithal to purchase an NFL franchise on their own. The recent sale price of the Milwaukee Bucks was basically out of reach for local investors and they're worth less than the Packers.

I'm just glad this isn't an issue we need worry about with our team.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No one. If the Packers had a single owner the franchise could be moved. BTW, IMO this would be an OK topic in March or May. Not so much two days away from the opener. Just my opinion of course so carry on...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To answer your question directly, I agree with GoPGo. Bob Kraft was the first and only name that came to mind. He seems to be a compassionate owner, doesn't micro manage, and can hire quality executives. Those are important qualities to me.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one. If the Packers had a single owner the franchise could be moved. BTW, IMO this would be an OK topic in March or May. Not so much two days away from the opener. Just my opinion of course so carry on...

I'm just making conversation...

Yes, the Packers would stay in GB.
And it doesn't have to be anyone local or just pretend that any of the current owners are.
Sheesh! Some of you take things way too seriously and need to get an imagination.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We also have the man who owns the Menards home improvement stores.
Save big money on Packers tickets and gear!
I think that's something we all could dig.
With a shovel. Bought at Menards!
LOL

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

If the Packers had just one owner, no matter who it would be, criticizing that owner would be intolerable to some in this forum. Accepting all as truth simply because a public relations representative of the team tells you what to think, is safe and warm and does not challenge the status quo. I would believe that a single owner would move the Packers out of Wisconsin as fast as possible. Los Angeles most likely, and change the name too. Thick skins to brave the Wisconsin weather is normal in Wisconsin, but thin skins seem to also be prevalent as well. If you disagree with this, then show the ability to express that opinion. Negative ratings are a poor substitute for a well organized written logical argument.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
If the Packers had just one owner, no matter who it would be, criticizing that owner would be intolerable to some in this forum. Accepting all as truth simply because a public relations representative of the team tells you what to think, is safe and warm and does not challenge the status quo. I would believe that a single owner would move the Packers out of Wisconsin as fast as possible. Los Angeles most likely, and change the name too. Thick skins to brave the Wisconsin weather is normal in Wisconsin, but thin skins seem to also be prevalent as well. If you disagree with this, then show the ability to express that opinion. Negative ratings are a poor substitute for a well organized written logical argument.
I wont give you an "old".....but you are getting old with this

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers had just 1 owner they would have been gone from Green Bay about 80 years ago.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the Packers had just one owner, no matter who it would be, criticizing that owner would be intolerable to some in this forum.
This is what's called 'raising a straw man'. Very, very few here accept all the front office does as gospel. Very, very few refuse to accept criticism of the front office and coaching staff. You post as if you are bitter for the lack of support for your unfounded criticisms of Thompson. But that in no way means reasonable criticisms of Thompson are rejected out of hand.
Negative ratings are a poor substitute for a well organized written logical argument.
Please take your own advice and post a well organized logical argument. The Pickett thread would be a good place to start.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To answer your question directly, I agree with GoPGo. Bob Kraft was the first and only name that came to mind. He seems to be a compassionate owner, doesn't micro manage, and can hire quality executives. Those are important qualities to me.
Kraft was the 1st one that came to my mind as well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What good would it due for the Packers to move? They'd anger an entire state, ruin their tradition, have to generate a new local fanbase, and have to find a new stadium after recently putting millions and millions into their current one.

A single owner would see that moving is not a good idea.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We also have the man who owns the Menards home improvement stores.
Save big money on Packers tickets and gear!
I think that's something we all could dig.
With a shovel. Bought at Menards!
LOL

John is the richest man in wisconsin by a fair margin I believe, but I have never heard a single good thing said about him from people who know him. I honestly think Jerry Jones would be a better option than John Menard. Thats how bad he would be.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

A redwood tree. You live thousands of years and it is against the law to cut one down.
If I were an airplane, I'd be a P-51 Mustang .
If I could meet one Packer living/dead , I'd would chose Jim Taylor.
The Packers will never have just one owner, but moving a team is not so hard, just look at history.
If I were tasked to relocate the Packers, I'd move them to Daytona Beach , Fla. No state taxes, great weather most of the time, and a hotel/motel/restaurant base. They host hundreds of thousands regularly at the Daytona International Speedway. Also Daytona Beach, like the rest of Fla. , does grow every year.
No one can be a tree, or an airplane, or meet the dead, and the Packers will never have just one owner.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far we have Kraft from those who get it and are playing along.

As for others, who said anything about moving the Packers? (It would be easy to move themselves because they are packers. Packers. Get it? OK. Ummmm.....)
Some of you need to lighten up big freaking time and not take everything so seriously.
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when opened.
Packers get to stay in GB. Would anyone else besides Kraft make an ideal owner?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to look up the list of owners. I don't know much about many of them, but my quick list would probably include Pat Bowlen (Broncos), Tom Benson (Saints), and maybe Paul Allen (Seahawks). None seem to be micro-managing owners. All obviously have hired successful people and let them do their jobs. Benson really seems to be engaged in the New Orleans community although I don't remember how much it was such before Katrina, but he's tied to the people in a good way ever since. Allen is a smart guy and not afraid to spend money to make something successful. The key is that he's spending money on franchise and facilities and leaving the football operations to the guys that know it.

Members online

Latest posts