IF the NFL Cancels 2020 Season - What would it look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will take that image over this one and I know you would too Mate.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Really puts things in perspective Poker, thanks. There are more important things than football games.

My guess is that the NCAA and the NFL will have to cancel their seasons, unless a vaccine is found - highly unlikely this year. I’m wondering if any of these contracts have “Acts of God” clauses, cause that would certainly seem relevant.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Statement released today by the NFL may sound hopeful for a 2020 Season, but I think all it is saying is that if there is a 2020 Season, all games will be played in the US.

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
60000 people die from the flu each year but you don’t see anything closing down then do we. We need to open the country back up. People on lockdown are already losing their lives to pre existing medical conditions they already had like Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease and Heart Attacks. Oh we can’t forget this is causing people to kill themselves. Nobody mentions that now do they. We need to quit hiding behind locked doors and get back to living again. Nobody wants to live like this. I sure don’t. If anyone is scared then stay home but let everyone else live their lives. I am so sick of this social distancing crap. I don’t want anyone else to get sick or die obviously but we need to stop living in fear. We didn’t live in fear when the flu was going around a thousand times before. Also it’s the virus itself that kills people not the person that gets it but doesn’t know it then spreads it to everyone else. I mean they don’t know it. Also more people are murdered everyday in big cities then the virus has killed. I think being on lockdown isn’t going to stop this virus. It’s going to spread no matter what.

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a buzz kill for your entire rant. Where do you get your information?

Look at every weekend in NYC, Chicago and Baltimore. IMO if you can take a walk or drive around in the bad areas of those cities especially at night we are much safer to open our economy back up. If we are on lockdown for this then those cities should be on lockdown all the time for how many people are shot or robbed.

Reaction score
How about this.. let everyone that works for the State AND Federal government keep their taxpayer paid salaries temporarily... IF the issue gets resolved by BOTH parties in a timely fashion while working together to solve this pandemic expeditiously..

In the meantime the tax payer is also suffering.. when the EMPLOYER (the American taxpayers) suffer, then Government should not be immune and should play their part.

If this isn’t under control (less than 1,000 cases daily and dropping by July 1.

Any government employee BOTH Dem/Republican
(Yes including Trump and Pelosi)
making 150K+ takes a 30% pay cut.
Any “ “ “
making 100K takes a 20% paycut
making 50-99K takes a 15% paycut
Everyone else takes a 10%
You get to keep your perks temporarily. No exceptions.

Every 30 days thereafter we don’t meet the objective we lay off 1% of the entire Government workforce and eliminate an additional 1% Of salary throughout all government employees, until government (the taxpayers employees) exceed the national unemployment rate of its constituents (the employer) Then distribute those sums and benefits back to the
TAXPAYERS (EMPLOYER) that are now jobless
with the greatest % of the pot going to cover the lowest current tax bracket and diminishing upward until it meets a threshold.

It’s time our immune Government works together or out they go from their high lofty job pedestals. Let them share fairly in a dose of reality from the suffering of the private sector (the little men and women) The next series of cuts go towards elected officials and gets more extreme in nature if it’s publicly represented that there is continuing and further combativeness between parties on the issue.

We can have a quick vote whether we allow common people funded government to share the suffering the people or to continue to allow them to benefit by arguing and bickering while the people suffer?

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion we would get a much more accurate truth of the situation without the partisan politics clouding a solution.

The people’s popular majority vote wins.
Voting starts July 1 (excluding Government employees and direct family)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Look at every weekend in NYC, Chicago and Baltimore. IMO if you can take a walk or drive around in the bad areas of those cities especially at night we are much safer to open our economy back up. If we are on lockdown for this then those cities should be on lockdown all the time for how many people are shot or robbed.

Where do you get your information? Over 25,000 people in New York alone have been killed by this in the last 2 months.

Sorry, but not much of what you said here makes much sense. I understand that you are frustrated. I hope you or someone close to you doesn't become one of the death stats.

it’s the virus itself that kills people not the person that gets it but doesn’t know it then spreads it to everyone else

I think being on lockdown isn’t going to stop this virus. It’s going to spread no matter what.

I don’t want anyone else to get sick or die obviously

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do you get your information? Over 25,000 people in New York alone have been killed by this in the last 2 months.

Sorry, but not much of what you said here makes much sense. I understand that you are frustrated. I hope you or someone close to you doesn't become one of the death stats.

It’s time to open the doors and take our chances. If we’re living like this we’re not living period. I’d rather live life and have fun to the end then live like this. I know a guy that enjoyed life to the end on his motorcycle but he was killed in a motorcycle accident. He feared it would happen but that didn’t stop him from enjoying it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s time to open the doors and take our chances. If we’re living like this we’re not living period.
If nothing else, I feel like it should be up to individual choice. Give us the best information, and if you decide to isolate, you are free to do so, and that may well be the smart choice. But I don't think we should be under government lockdown.

I would like to see the alternate reality where we didn't do the lockdown, and see what the numbers would be, and what life would look like. People can say we'd have 2 million dead, but they haven't been right on the projections yet. I'm not saying the lockdown was a mistake necessarily, I would just like to know for sure.

H

HardRightEdge

60000 people die from the flu each year but you don’t see anything closing down then do we. We need to open the country back up. People on lockdown are already losing their lives to pre existing medical conditions they already had like Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease and Heart Attacks. Oh we can’t forget this is causing people to kill themselves. Nobody mentions that now do they. We need to quit hiding behind locked doors and get back to living again. Nobody wants to live like this. I sure don’t. If anyone is scared then stay home but let everyone else live their lives. I am so sick of this social distancing crap. I don’t want anyone else to get sick or die obviously but we need to stop living in fear. We didn’t live in fear when the flu was going around a thousand times before. Also it’s the virus itself that kills people not the person that gets it but doesn’t know it then spreads it to everyone else. I mean they don’t know it. Also more people are murdered everyday in big cities then the virus has killed. I think being on lockdown isn’t going to stop this virus. It’s going to spread no matter what.
OK, Donald. By the way, these Trumpian talking points contain factual inaccuracies. No surprise there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, Donald. By the way, these Trumpian talking points contain factual inaccuracies. No suprise there.
I want to attend the races again, Outdoor Concerts with friends. I want to Kayak, hiking and get together in large gatherings again. If you and Poker want to live like a prisoner then go for it but I Don’t plan too. I know of plenty of elderly that I’ve talked to who feel the same way I do. Nobody wants to live like this. A virus is something we can’t control and we must go on and live our lives. I remember zillions of times people getting together with colds or Flu viruses in the past. That’s no different than this. Many die from the flu every year. I’m already angry enough how many things my family and I enjoy are cancelled because of this Damn virus. My theory is we should have been on lockdown in the past for the flu then.

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the NFL has made their first move towards their "reopening"

@TomPelissero

The NFL tonight issued a memo laying out protocols to teams on how club facilities may reopen, including consent from local state government officials, establishment of a club infection response team, social distancing, temperature screening and other measures, per sources.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/05/nfl-issues-memo-laying-out-protocols-for-teams-reopening-facilities/

If I was a player I would play just to give the fans entertainment. If I get sick so be it. At least The playoffs are giving the fans entertainment. I’d rather live life to the end rather than be on lockdown. That isn’t living.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I want to attend the races again, Outdoor Concerts with friends. I want to Kayak, hiking and get together in large gatherings again. If you and Poker want to live like a prisoner then go for it but I Don’t plan too. I know of plenty of elderly that I’ve talked to who feel the same way I do. Nobody wants to live like this. A virus is something we can’t control and we must go on and live our lives. I remember zillions of times people getting together with colds or Flu viruses in the past. That’s no different than this. Many die from the flu every year. I’m already angry enough how many things my family and I enjoy are cancelled because of this Damn virus. My theory is we should have been on lockdown in the past for the flu then.

Very well, be on your way now. Please pick up the following form, fill it out and carry it with you.

"Next...."

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about this.. let everyone that works for the State AND Federal government keep their taxpayer paid salaries temporarily... IF the issue gets resolved by BOTH parties in a timely fashion while working together to solve this pandemic expeditiously..

In the meantime the tax payer is also suffering.. when the EMPLOYER (the American taxpayers) suffer, then Government should not be immune and should play their part.

If this isn’t under control (less than 1,000 cases daily and dropping by July 1.

Any government employee BOTH Dem/Republican
(Yes including Trump and Pelosi)
making 150K+ takes a 30% pay cut.
Any “ “ “
making 100K takes a 20% paycut
making 50-99K takes a 15% paycut
Everyone else takes a 10%
You get to keep your perks temporarily. No exceptions.

Every 30 days thereafter we don’t meet the objective we lay off 1% of the entire Government workforce and eliminate an additional 1% Of salary throughout all government employees, until government (the taxpayers employees) exceed the national unemployment rate of its constituents (the employer) Then distribute those sums and benefits back to the
TAXPAYERS (EMPLOYER) that are now jobless
with the greatest % of the pot going to cover the lowest current tax bracket and diminishing upward until it meets a threshold.

It’s time our immune Government works together or out they go from their high lofty job pedestals. Let them share fairly in a dose of reality from the suffering of the private sector (the little men and women) The next series of cuts go towards elected officials and gets more extreme in nature if it’s publicly represented that there is continuing and further combativeness between parties on the issue.

We can have a quick vote whether we allow common people funded government to share the suffering the people or to continue to allow them to benefit by arguing and bickering while the people suffer?

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion we would get a much more accurate truth of the situation without the partisan politics clouding a solution.

The people’s popular majority vote wins.
Voting starts July 1 (excluding Government employees and direct family)

Why do the words " the plane boss the plane". Keep running through my head.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A huge part of the problem can be summed up in your first two words.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very well, be on your way now. Please pick up the following form, fill it out and carry it with you.

"Next...."

still the overwhelming majority of infections need nothing from us. nothing. You know who does? those with chronic medical conditions, most of which they spent years giving themselves. If they'd sign a card to waive their access to care, man would that be a burden lifted. 70% of over 2 TRILLION dollars spent on chronic health conditions, most of which are attained thru decades of lifestyle choices, not by chance, so save the whining. 1 or more of these conditions is involved with almost every single COVID labeled death, including the "young and healthy" with type II diabetes at aged 35. Even in NYC that has maybe the "worst" numbers in the world the death rate was about .7%, definitely nothing to sneeze at. It's significant, and there are reports that it's actually much higher but they don't know all the data, and there's people like me that think it likely is lower for the same reason, incomplete data on all of those that get thru it with nothing but their innate immune system and a cough, maybe, and are never counted for anything. Unless they get pregnant and happen to get tested because they decided to check "healthy" people that day.

But you want to know what the death rate in NYC was for people without pre-existing conditions? .00057% we could infect 80% of the entire nation and we'd lose a good number of even healthy individuals, around 11K at that rate. But that's still below MVA deaths if it matters.

I'm all for waiving access to care, just apply it evenly.

and considering the way many still seem to be using ventilators, even after little ol' me in WI could figure out it was not making much sense, you may be better off staying out of the ICU with COVID.

anyway, the "I WANT" isn't a one way street.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The covid19 numbers that you find unalarming are coming from a society that is currently locked down and socially distancing. Things would look much more.... alarming.... if people were interacting as if everything were normal.

We also are able to produce flu vaccines and don't need to worry so much about uncontrollable spread. We don't have that luxury with covid19.

Our medical care infrastructure is also equipped to deal with a season flu load. It is not equipped to deal with 2 or 3x that load.

You don't talk to old people about whether they want to open everything up again at risk of dying. Anyone who says that is full of it. "Hey, granny, would you be willing to die so we can attend concerts again?" Yeah, nobody is having that conversation.

I get that you're frustrated. Everyone is. But the flu equivalency is just stupid and wrong. Hopefully we're over the hump and things can slowly start to return to normal, but forcing it because you are bored and want to go to concerts and and races again, c'mon.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
still the overwhelming majority of infections need nothing from us. nothing. You know who does? those with chronic medical conditions, most of which they spent years giving themselves. If they'd sign a card to waive their access to care, man would that be a burden lifted

Yet, if I have a chronic medical condition, brought on by myself, heredity or just bad luck, I am not going to pass that on to you or your loved ones when I cough on you at Walmart. I don't suddenly see over a million people infected with "chronic medical conditions" due to the bad choices made by one in a 4 month period.

I get it, you care mostly about yourself, you don't want to live in a society where we take care of each other and in some cases we have to take extreme measures to protect us from one another.

Trust me, you don't need to keep telling me what "you want".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, if I have a chronic medical condition, brought on by myself, heredity or just bad luck, I am not going to pass that on to you or your loved ones when I cough on you at Walmart. I don't suddenly see over a million people infected with "chronic medical conditions" due to the bad choices made by one in a 4 month period.

I get it, you care mostly about yourself, you don't want to live in a society where we take care of each other and in some cases we have to take extreme measures to protect us from one another.

Trust me, you don't need to keep telling me what "you want".
riiigggght LOL

There is a way to take care of society without shutting it down. Good luck hiding from a virus. Did you see the latest out of NY? 2/3's of cases were staying at home.

I get it, YOU want people to go produce food for you so YOU can stay home.

YOU want people to go out and keep the power on for you so you can stay home.

YOU want people to go out and deliver food for you to survive while you stay home

YOU want people to work to continue to send you money so you can stay home

but YOUR bad decisions are the reasons this is "deadly" so yes, YOUR daily wants of crap choices are being passed on to ME. YOUR choices are now affecting my family and millions and millions of others.

"I want" isn't a one way street. You think you're different? So noble of you to want everyone else to enable you to stay at home LOL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The covid19 numbers that you find unalarming are coming from a society that is currently locked down and socially distancing. Things would look much more.... alarming.... if people were interacting as if everything were normal.

We also are able to produce flu vaccines and don't need to worry so much about uncontrollable spread. We don't have that luxury with covid19.

Our medical care infrastructure is also equipped to deal with a season flu load. It is not equipped to deal with 2 or 3x that load.

You don't talk to old people about whether they want to open everything up again at risk of dying. Anyone who says that is full of it. "Hey, granny, would you be willing to die so we can attend concerts again?" Yeah, nobody is having that conversation.

I get that you're frustrated. Everyone is. But the flu equivalency is just stupid and wrong. Hopefully we're over the hump and things can slowly start to return to normal, but forcing it because you are bored and want to go to concerts and and races again, c'mon.
Want to expand on our medical care infrastructure more for us please? I have mentions of it throughout the 2 threads. I don't seem to see anybody paying particularly close attention, but as this moves on, it's becoming painfully obvious just serious this is, and its not because of covid cases.

Can you expound on what it means for the state of medical infrastructure going foward? We haven't even begun to touch the surface of the long term payment plan from this short term decision. Think it's going to be better for much of America in terms of medical care? Or worse when all these places go belly up? Care to envision a future where 20% of the GDP collapses on itself? Just print more money?

Lets not act like there aren't going to huge ramifications from shutting down.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
riiigggght LOL

There is a way to take care of society without shutting it down. Good luck hiding from a virus. Did you see the latest out of NY? 2/3's of cases were staying at home.

I get it, YOU want people to go produce food for you so YOU can stay home.

YOU want people to go out and keep the power on for you so you can stay home.

YOU want people to go out and deliver food for you to survive while you stay home

YOU want people to work to continue to send you money so you can stay home

but YOUR bad decisions are the reasons this is "deadly" so yes, YOUR daily wants of crap choices are being passed on to ME. YOUR choices are now affecting my family and millions and millions of others.

"I want" isn't a one way street. You think you're different? So noble of you to want everyone else to enable you to stay at home LOL.

To paraphrase you: "You don't know a f*cking thing about who I am or what I do, so don't pretend that you do".

You like to jump in and spew your "we need a good culling of the herd crap". I'm done taking your bait, because you don't seem to understand that I for one am not in full lock down, nor do I feel it has to be that way. But when you have idiots like the poster above who because they are "bored" and want to go to concerts, sporting events, etc. with total disregard to anyone but themselves, it makes me realize just how selfish and naive some people are.

I respect your opinions on Packer stuff, but consider yourself ignored by me when it comes to this topic. If I see your name in this thread, I will not be reading or responding.

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m so sick of people calling other people selfish because they want to live their lives. The HN1 Flu that hit us in 2010 we just continued to live our lives. You can’t stop a virus. We just have to continue to live life and take our chances. I’m all for getting together in large groups. That flu nobody shut down and nobody was considered selfish for living their lives. This country has really gone in the tubes since then. Everyone is so afraid and easily offended about everything.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bait? I said it once, in like my very first post on the topic. Since then, there has been some stuff people should be paying attention to. But you haven't touched or responded to any of it. Not once other than make inferences about me. I decided to play your little game.

I happen to care about a lot more people and things than just myself. I can't believe that's even in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts