1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

If the Amish Mafia were running the draft :

Discussion in '2013 Draft Archive' started by AmishMafia, Apr 17, 2013.

1. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Extend
    Clay Matthews
    Aaron Rodgers
    Raji

Sign
    Shields
    EDS

FA

I had Richard Seymour listed – I think he can be had cheap and we could squeeze a productive year out of him. But will try to keep this closer to reality, no way TT signs a 33 year old DE who missed 50% of games last year.

Trade
    The strength of this draft is the mid of round No. 2. I think the talent tier goes from 20-50. Why not drop back 15 picks or so and get a similar player? Unless an unexpected top tier guy drops, this is the way to go.

TT Trades back. Our 1st, 6th, 7th, for 2nd (#41) and 3rd (#71) from Buffalo. Buff wants a QB, in the first (5 yr rookie deal) but don’t want to use a high pick on him.

Draft

2A Jesse Williams Alabama NT/DE 6’3” 323 – a big guy who can move well. Pocket collapse type who can still get after the QB. Should help free up Clay and Perry to make more plays. I don’t think that he will be available here, but then again, I also like ILB Brown, Kawaan Short, Sylvester Williams, Datone Jones, Ogletree, Hankins, and Margus Hunt. One of em is bound to be there.

2b Travis Fredrick C UW 6’4” 312 – not as athletic as what you hope for – but I don’t know how athletic you need to be for a C. He is a mauler with attitude, and we could use more of that on the OL. Although he isn’t going to get out to the 2nd level and finesses block a athletic LB, he won’t get manhandled by a big ugly NT. MM has spoken of changing things up on the OL. I hope he meant to become more brawler and less finesse.

3a Le’Veon Bell RB – 6’1” 230 Michigan State - A big RB who can do everything well. Gonna shy away from Eddy Lacy – he had an excellent OL. Would like to see what Bell can do in our offense. Could be a potent weapon – good blocker as well as good receiver. Could add to the complexity and difficulty for opposing defenses. If we miss on him – and I think he may be gone, we go for Giovani or barring that -Miguel Maysonet at end of the draft.

3a Chris Harper WR – Kansas State - 2013 will eventually be known for top notch OTs and mid round WRs. There are a dozen names that could go here, Swoopes, Terrance Williams, Hopkins, Wheaton, and Bailey. Some of these guys will develop into borderline probowlers. I haven’t seen Harper in many mocks, and he is in this area. So, there you go.

4th Blidi Wreh-Wilson – Conneticut – CB He has some skills and athleticism. Could use the coaching that the Packers can provide. I really like Shields, House, and Heyward – we don’t need a CB, and that is with assuming Williams doesn’t come back into form. But I like the kid and think he will have a good career.

5th D.J. Swearinger – South Carolina – S Hard hitting and aggressive. Something our defense could really use.

5th Ty Powell – Harding - OLB – Versatile athlete has played defensive end, safety and finally linebacker. We need depth at OLB and I don’t think we have it. CM3 has missed time and Perry didn’t last his first season. Not sure how good the coaching he had at Harding – heck – I have no idea where Harding is. But I’m betting he is raw. But that’s okay. The Packer’s are a deep team and as such, I don’t think you go for players who are good, now. I think you target 'riskier' players who have a shot to be really great.

Team
    QB
    Rodgers, Aaron; Harrell, Graham; Coleman, B.J.

RB
    Le'Veon Bell; Harris, DuJuan; Benson, Cedric

FB
    Kuhn, John

WR
    Nelson, Jordy, Jones, James, Boykin, Jarrett
    Cobb, Randall, Chris Harper

TE
    Finley, Jermichael, Quarless, Andrew, Williams, D.J., Taylor, Ryan

C
    Travis Fredrick; Dietrich-Smith, Evan

G
    Sitton, Josh; Barclay, Don
    Lang, T.J.

T
    Bulaga, Bryan; Datko, Andrew
    Newhouse, Marshall; Sherrod, Derek

DE
    Wilson, C.J.; Worthy, Jerel
    Neal, Mike; Daniels, Mike
    DT
    Raji, B.J.; Pickett, Ryan; Jesse Williams

ILB
    Hawk, A.J.; Manning, Terrell; Jones, Brad
    Bishop, Desmond; Smith, D.J.

OLB
    Matthews, Clay; Ty Powell; Lattimore, Jamari
    Perry, Nick; Moses, Dezman

CB
    Shields, Sam; Hayward, Casey
    House, Davon; Blidi Wreh-Wilson

S
    Burnett, Morgan; Richardson, Sean
    McMillian, Jerron; DJ Swearinger

LS
    Goode, Brett
    P
    Masthay, Tim
    K
    Crosby, Mason

Notable Cuts (or non-resignings)
    Williams, Tramon
    Bush, Jarrett
    Jolly, Johnny
    Starks, James
    Green, Alex
    Saine, Brandon
    Grant, Ryan

Hope that Tramon returns to old form, but I have my doubts. Jolly – you can’t be out of football for 3 years and come back. Too many RBs. Sorry Bush – this will be so TT. Fans complained for years, and now that he ‘emerges’, we cut him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Passepartout

Passepartout Hearts of Valentine's!

Ratings:
    +17
    I say that you are right if you were picking! You seem to be an expert!

3. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +992
    Grant isn't signed so he wouldn't be a cut. If they draft a RB high, they don't sign Benson. I think Green gets another year. Tramon may be trade bait, maybe with Tampa to move up in later rounds? The TE they signed makes it probably. Don't think they carry 9 OL. Possibly don't draft the center, esp in round 2 or maybe Sherrod doesn't recover. I would expect OL sometime though. Don't mind the positions picked. Not up on all the players. FYI: http://www.harding.edu/ 915 E. Market Ave. Searcy, Arkansas 72149

4. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I like the first couple draft picks. We need our team to get better against physical teams and we have to be able to run the ball some what effectively. I say our main concern is to hit 3/4 out of these positions in the first 3 rounds assuming there is no trade backs. Oline,Rb,safety,d line

5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,976
    A few notes to consider re: your roster:

- I count 53 names. Coleman will likely stay on PS. I think you could add another name.

- 9 O-Linemen is a tough sell. I'm all for "this is what I'd do, not necessarily what MM will do", but 9 is far enough outside reasonable possibility to warrant an adjustment. I believe Datko has PS eligibility left. I doubt anybody will sign him away. You could make a second roster addition if you move him to PS.

- 4 CBs is too light. One guy goes down and you can't get a decent poker game going in dime coverage. You also need to make sure you have 2 gunners...speed and tackling ability translate to CBs. And you want to avoid having the top 3 who play 65 - 100% of the snaps on that duty. Bush has proven hard to shake; special teams captain, one of the best gunners in the business since the late 2010 wake up call.

- I don't see M.D. Jennings in your safety group or as a notable cut. That looks like an oversight. He was the #2 safety when Woodson went down and McMillian was exposed as a liability in coverage. Based on the above, there's still one opening to use on a 5th. safety.

Other issues like T. Williams, Green, Starks...last year's walking wounded with something to prove...too soon to say.

6. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I have Blidi in the 3rd and Swearinger in the 2nd. You do realize Swearinger and McMillian are the same guy right? Not fond of Frederick, but I like this draft.

Reiterations:

8 OL is probably max on this team, no way we keep less than 5 CB, Mcmillian Swearinger and Richardson all suck at playing deep so in no way can I get behind that, 3 QB is probably unlikely, Benson is gone.

7. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +353
    Ok Amish so do you not see Mulligan making the final roster, or did you just forget him? I believe he does have some guaranteed money coming towards him this year.

If the Packers sign Mcclendon does it change anything?

8. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,749
    OL - I don't want to give any of those guys up
    Mulligan - The bears cut him. How good can he be?
    Swearinger = McMillian: Well, I like McMillian also. I think Swearinger brings more intensity/attitude
    CBs : I agree, we probably will keep more than 4
    Benson: I thought he looked excellent in the few games he played in.
    McClendon: I like him. Yes, he would be on my final roster - think I would cut Wilson, Pickett or Neal. Whichever is having the poorer camp - probably Pickett if it is close, he is getting old.

I think we can expect there will be 2 or 3 UFAs that also make the team.

9. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I can't exactly agree with that one. Only mark I gave DJ over Jerron was that DJ is slighly more fluid.

10. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +381
    I thought the Amish Mafia ran everything...

11. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678

Good stuff but Swearinger will never ever be there in the late part of round 5.
    Although one never says never.

12. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +178

I like your Williams,Wilson and Harper picks. I don't think Raji will even come close to an extension agreement.
    I'm not a fan of Swearingen at all and I don't think Powell is someone Ted would be interested in as a 5th round pick.

13. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Maybe my worst effort ever. I usually hit 1 or 2. Once hit 3. But none? Shhhhesh.

14. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    Join the crowd of nearly everyone who mocked a packers draft this year. There was no way to see the trades on day 2 coming for sure. Having 10 picks on day 3 as well when we only started with 8 total.

15. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Hold the phone. We have Chris Harper on our roster right now! That counts! 1!!!!!