I spoke with Bob Harlan

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was down at the Packer Pro Shop Thursday afternoon. On my way out I saw some cars parked inside the players lot and thought I'd hang around and see who came out. Wouldn't you know - out strolls Bob Harlan! He actually remembered me after I reminded him how my wife and I mistook him for Jim Bates in the same spot a couple years ago.

Anyhow, I told him how excited I was for the Packers this season and that if Favre was making an exit this was the team that could take him out on top. He said they were all looking forward to the season and having a good draft.

I took the chance and asked about the Moss/Rodgers rumors - he didn't deny anything! Ok, so he didn't give me an inside scoop either but...he did say to keep my ears open over the next few days I might hear some good news.

That's the word from here.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Packin' this is the most insightful post of the free agency. Rubbing elbows is fun, especially in Packerland.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the tempest of emotions that was yesterday, I've finally come to a standing on the Moss trade. I'm convinced that is going to happen, but we'll have to wait.

I personally couldn't be more excited about this though, as long as the details of it are pretty much what's been reported.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha nice. keep your ears open you might hear good news.... how can you not take that as YES MOSS WILL BE A PACKER.

unless he considers moss bad news.

and what can it hurt really... i was fine with Rodgers being the next guy in line, but im not sure we are missing out on a cant miss player. and a 7th round draft pick... thats useless to us as Ted will trade down 40 times and end up with 5 7th round picks anyway.

so even if Moss is terrible, becomes a cancer, sets fire to one of the coaches or any one of the other supposed terrible things about him happen...and we end up cutting him. its not like we could be set back for years to come on this. I kinda feel that since Brett is playing another year... the guy we groom to back him up will get enough experience to be on the same level as Rodgers at this point who has played very little.

i just dont see how this could ever be bad.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little off text above, but an indicator why you have to be a little different than in other cities to play in Green Bay.

A buddy of mine now lives in Green Bay. Says he ran into some Packers while out on the town one night. He says many of the players just go to each other's houses for entertainment because it was too difficult just hanging out in town.

My friend said that seemed like a strange thing.

The Packer pointed out my friend didn't really know him, but my friend was asking him things he probably wouldn't ask another stranger. He said the teammates do head out in mass sometimes because it tends to deflect the majority away from the group. He says it's hard to just blend in anywhere in Green Bay.

Another friend was at a gas station back in the Don Majkowski days. My friend saw Majkowski trying to fill up his vehicle with gas, only to have a family from who-knows-where come running out with flashbulbs popping.

While the smart-*** answer is "they get paid for this", try to imagine living somewhere where every move you make is under scrutiny and you have to be pleasant all the time.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A little different spin to that, back in the day (1991-1995) I sold cars for Gandrud Chevrolet in Green Bay, another salesman was pretty good friends with a few of the Packers. It was not uncommon to see them in the dealership with there SUV or Truck in the shop. Anyway... Got to know Edgar Bennett a little in his multiple visits, and one day I had poised the same question to him. How hard is it living in the Fishbowl of the NFL, Green Bay, WI?

Not quote but the jist was...

His response, it was an honor to live in a community the size of Green Bay, you are treated like royalty. And all you have to do is be a good citizen and represent the Packers and city well. Not really that hard he claimed. And if you needed space, most people were respectful enough to give it to you.

Now can that really be all that hard and bad?

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack not close to getting Moss
Friday, Mar 16, 2007 12:55 pm EDT

Team officials shot down a report Thursday that said the Green Bay Packers were on the verge of acquiring Oakland Raiders receiver Randy Moss in a trade for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers and other considerations.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson labeled the story "wild speculation," while Packers chairman Bob Harlan told the Green Bay Press Gazette that if a deal was in place Thompson would have told him, and that hadn't happened.

Link

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack not close to getting Moss
Friday, Mar 16, 2007 12:55 pm EDT

Team officials shot down a report Thursday that said the Green Bay Packers were on the verge of acquiring Oakland Raiders receiver Randy Moss in a trade for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers and other considerations.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson labeled the story "wild speculation," while Packers chairman Bob Harlan told the Green Bay Press Gazette that if a deal was in place Thompson would have told him, and that hadn't happened.

Link

Same report that was out yesterday right away as well. ESPN Insider said the Packers and Raiders have spoken directly about Randy Moss and a deal but said there has been more words spoken about it in the media then between the two teams.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is why that post from Ron Wolf was so interesting. I think there is something going on here with Moss and I think it's more serious than they want to let on.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was down at the Packer Pro Shop Thursday afternoon. On my way out I saw some cars parked inside the players lot and thought I'd hang around and see who came out. Wouldn't you know - out strolls Bob Harlan! He actually remembered me after I reminded him how my wife and I mistook him for Jim Bates in the same spot a couple years ago.

Anyhow, I told him how excited I was for the Packers this season and that if Favre was making an exit this was the team that could take him out on top. He said they were all looking forward to the season and having a good draft.

I took the chance and asked about the Moss/Rodgers rumors - he didn't deny anything! Ok, so he didn't give me an inside scoop either but...he did say to keep my ears open over the next few days I might hear some good news.

That's the word from here.
Edder! You are in Wisconsin? (How ya like the weather!) :rotflmao:

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Didn't know a Cal guy would know where WI is LMAO. Probably on one of those flights that got redirected!

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire time talking to you he was probably thinking to himself, " we really do need better parking lot security"

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire time talking to you he was probably thinking to himself, " we really do need better parking lot security"

LOL! GOOD ONE!!!
You know.......i just thought of the fact that "Packinsteel" is a STEELERS fan! I bet he was wearing a Pittsburgh coat when he talked to Harlan. So......Harlan was ALSO probably thinking "I'm gonna mess with this rival fan's brain!!!" :rotflmao: