I found this to be very interesting

Reaction score
Those old Tube TV’s were HEAVY!
I once sold our stores display 35” Panasonic Flat Tube (one of the early non-convex screens). I proceeded to size it up. I then picked it up and carried that floor sample clear across a showroom and out to someone’s car all by myself. I swear it must’ve weighed about 250lb!

Then I calmly drove the forklift back to the Warehouse and punched out and went and drank a couple beers

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a Zenith in the 50s. Black and White but I remember we got a remote control!. It was attached by a wire and you really had to press down to change a channel. The Old Man would get pretty mad if we changed channels a lot and he saw it. I'm sure he was thinking about the wear and tear. That's when they had the "Million Dollar Movie." Which they showed every night for a week and twice on sat/sun.
A wired remote control. That's classic!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My betamax had one also IIRC.
Really? Did you hold onto that thing? It might be worth taking to the antique roadshow.

I guess it's no different than wired headphones. In that case the audiophiles will say wired is the only way for pure sound. Snobs. And those headphones cost $3 or $4k and still need a $2k amplifier. I'll stick with bluetooth. I can't hear worth **** anyway......

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That didn't bother me as much as when she, every few years, cleans out the garage and hauls all my "garage and house" tools into the shed in a box. I have tools in the shed. The ones in the garage are either duplicates and kept cleaner, or are lighter duty, or will get destroyed in the weather in the not-sealed shed. She's steaming this summer as my former maintenance tech son brought his toolbox with several k$$$ tool set home and parked it where her car used to live. She's been parked outside with us peons all summer.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That didn't bother me as much as when she, every few years, cleans out the garage and hauls all my "garage and house" tools into the shed in a box. I have tools in the shed. The ones in the garage are either duplicates and kept cleaner, or are lighter duty, or will get destroyed in the weather in the not-sealed shed. She's steaming this summer as my former maintenance tech son brought his toolbox with several k$$$ tool set home and parked it where her car used to live. She's been parked outside with us peons all summer.
Oh no, parking outside! Careful dude you're playing with fire I think.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mrs. El Guapo got a fancy new car this summer. She's been wondering out loud why her 2022 car has to continue sitting outside while our 13yr old boat takes up the garage. Luckily she is relatively okay with it. Key word = relatively.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mrs. El Guapo got a fancy new car this summer. She's been wondering out loud why her 2022 car has to continue sitting outside while our 13yr old boat takes up the garage. Luckily she is relatively okay with it. Key word = relatively.
That too will end, and possibly not in a good way. If she smiles, and laughs when she says; "That's okay!," the end is near.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That too will end, and possibly not in a good way. If she smiles, and laughs when she says; "That's okay!," the end is near.
Agreed. El Guapo, at the latest, your wife's kind demeanor will end the first day she has to scrape ice off that new car's windshield, worse if it's 3" of snow. I'd plan ahead for a new home for that boat - by the end of September at the latest. FWIW my friend.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been 13yrs of the boat getting the garage in the summer, and her car getting it in the winter. This isn't the first time that she's had a new car, or the first time that she's grumbled... The alternative is that the boat is in the driveway, and she has to push it out of the way each time she wants to park in the garage. Of course, she would be happier if it was a fancy deck boat instead of a fishing boat!

Sadly, I have never owned a vehicle that got to be inside. They're my outside pets.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we leave our boat on the water. If I had to trailer and launch it each time I probably wouldn't own one. I'm lazy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we leave our boat on the water. If I had to trailer and launch it each time I probably wouldn't own one. I'm lazy.
I don't know if that's lazy. It's a lot of work to own a boat if you don't have waterfront property.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you're right. But it would be such a weird storyline in today's world. And while I was a tenenager at the time, I never questioned it. It has only seemed weird in retrospect. Then again there was My Three Sons, which I think was about a divorced father raising his three boys. Maybe not all that different than Two And a Half Men, in makeup rather than content.
Actually, it was a widowed father. Kind of like the Courtship of Eddie's father. Back then divorce was not considered a wholesome scenario for most television especially if it was a show for the whole family. The Cleavers, Father Knows Best, Donna Reed, Danny Thomas, December Bride, the Honeymooners, and even ironically, I Love Lucy boasted of husband and wife in love and/ or reconciling. Audiences could show compassion for widows and widower. But divorcees, oh those vows. And the sponsors wanted it that way.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, it was a widowed father. Kind of like the Courtship of Eddie's father. Back then divorce was not considered a wholesome scenario for most television especially if it was a show for the whole family. The Cleavers, Father Knows Best, Donna Reed, Danny Thomas, December Bride, the Honeymooners, and even ironically, I Love Lucy boasted of husband and wife in love and/ or reconciling. Audiences could show compassion for widows and widower. But divorcees, oh those vows. And the sponsors wanted it that way.
Good point. I was raised Catholic and "divorce" was a non-starter. That defied reality but, hey, it's in the Bible (I think it is anyway).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The successful unattached career woman Mary Tyler Moore was a glass ceiling breaker at the time. Teachers were allowed to be single on TV but not a career woman.

Reaction score
A wired remote control. That's classic!
Yes I remember my Grandparents having that wired remote! They also had a wired ear piece to tv.
Love Electronics, Especially portable

I once had a portable 8 track player that I traded in for a portable Cassete Walkman which I traded in for a portable CD Walkman and traded that for a portable Sony Sport Headphones which I traded for an MP3 player which I traded in for a Digital Cell which I use in conjunction with my portable
IWatch.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The successful unattached career woman Mary Tyler Moore was a glass ceiling breaker at the time. Teachers were allowed to be single on TV but not a career woman.
On the other hand, in MTM's previous show, The **** Van **** Show, Rose Marie played a single comedy writer, Sally Rogers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, in MTM's previous show, The **** Van **** Show, Rose Marie played a single comedy writer, Sally Rogers.
I can't believe the censor program would **** with Dyck VanDycke. Yikes.

But it showed a workaround. Don't be a **** can become don't be a dyck.

Probably could start a thread on this. Who can come up with the most outrageous example of censorship?

Nah. TC is next week. We'll finally have football to talk about.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe the censor program would **** with Dyck VanDycke. Yikes.
Poor Dyck VanDycke. That's my favorite sitcom all time, so I tend to bring it up fairly often. And more often than not, they censor the poor guy's name. I had no idea he was so controversial.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Dyck VanDycke. That's my favorite sitcom all time, so I tend to bring it up fairly often. And more often than not, they censor the poor guy's name. I had no idea he was so controversial.
No kidding. That was a great, great show. I always thought MTM carried the show, but they ha a lot of talented comedians on that cast.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably could start a thread on this. Who can come up with the most outrageous example of censorship?
@longtimefan and I have allowed some of the most head scratching examples. The list is still 66 screens of 20 banned words and phrases.
The tamest I just saw is referring to a single, never married person. 5 letters starts with un and ends with wed.

Latest posts