I found this to be very interesting

D

Deleted member 6794

Wait, does that even work out? The Bears have nine championships (that includes the Staleys' one, I believe), and the Cardinals have two. That's eleven. The Packers have 13. Is there another Chicago team I'm forgetting? Or was he counting the Bulls and Black Hawks too? :laugh:

The only other NFL team which ever played in Chicago were the 1920 Tigers. They didn't come close to winning a championship in their only season of existence though.

I don't think any team has won three SBs in a row.

The Packers are the only team to have won three consecutive NFL championships and they've done it twice (1929-31 and 1965-67).

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only other NFL team which ever played in Chicago were the 1920 Tigers. They didn't come close to winning a championship in their only season of existence though.

The Packers are the only team to have won three consecutive NFL championships and they've done it twice (1929-31 and 1965-67).
Well I do remember the 65-67 championship teams. We watched it in black and white as I recall, but it was glorious. I think teams played a 12-game regular season schedule. The Vikings weren't very good, in spite of having Fran Tarkenton. That said, they would always manage to put a win up against the Packers. I don't know the stats on that. I think the Packers were 11-1 one year, with the lone loss in Minnesota. That's from my fading memory...... I can look it up but I'm too lazy today.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I do remember the 65-67 championship teams. We watched it in black and white as I recall, but it was glorious.
I remember watching the first Super Bowl. We had a black and white TV, and I vividly remember asking my dad what color helmets the Chiefs wore. I was pretty familiar with the Packer uniforms because we used to take a long vacation in Wisconsin every year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I do remember the 65-67 championship teams. We watched it in black and white as I recall, but it was glorious. I think teams played a 12-game regular season schedule. The Vikings weren't very good, in spite of having Fran Tarkenton. That said, they would always manage to put a win up against the Packers. I don't know the stats on that. I think the Packers were 11-1 one year, with the lone loss in Minnesota. That's from my fading memory...... I can look it up but I'm too lazy today.
Well, Tarkenton gave us fits but we did beat him most of the time in his first run with the Vikings. He got us once in 1964 and once in 1966. In 1967 he was with the Giants. The year we had but one loss was ( 13-1)1962 to Detroit. The NFL went to 14 games in 1961 which was the Vikings inaugural season. Now Tarkenton's second time around in Minnesota in the 1970's was when he torched us.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe the Packers 5 championships in 7 years reigns as the best of all time. Ignoring the years prior to the Super Bowl is not reality, because back in the old days, only two teams played for the Championship, but it was still for the entire bag of marbles.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wife and I bought an RCA color TV back in 1965. The first game broadcast in color was Thanksgiving Day, from Detroit. The Packers were not in that game. Lombardi had killed their involvement in it. He hated it.

The following year, games were broadcast in color. It was a treat watching them, after seeing b&w for so many years.

I can remember, on network TV, shows that were in color, even if they were horrible, had an edge in viewers, as people with color TVs chose color over content. Sadly, my wife and I were among them, at times.

I remember when an NBC show was about to come on, in color, they'd show a picture of the peacock, with it's colors. "Brought to you in living color, by NBC!"

That first color TV was a 21" round tube, and it was a console. It must have weighed at least 350#. If you moved it, the "guns," which were the red, blue, green guns of light that created the picture, would get out of alignment, and have to be realigned. They were monsters, but if you owned one, people loved coming to visit, to just watch a TV show they liked.

On Packer days, I had 3, sometimes 4 friends and their wives, who came over every Sunday, to watch the games. We'd get a pony of beer, and drink the whole thing, over the course of pregame, game, and post game shows. The women helped some, but it was mostly us guys. We'd split the cost, and each wife would prepare something and bring it to eat.

I'm sad to say that only one of those old friends is still alive, and I haven't actually seen him in over 25 years. But, back in the day, we had one helluva good time on Sundays, as Packer fans.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We went to the Bonanza ranch long before it became a tourist trap at Lake Tahoe. All that existed, at that time, was the town structures used in the show, the ranch house, which we toured, but couldn't go upstairs, because hands who cared for the facility had rooms there.

Also, the stable was there, and Hoss's horse, along with other stock. All dirt, and all old western.

It's too bad they destroyed it with commercialization later on. It was a great TV/movie set.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Tarkenton gave us fits but we did beat him most of the time in his first run with the Vikings. He got us once in 1964 and once in 1966. In 1967 he was with the Giants. The year we had but one loss was ( 13-1)1962 to Detroit. The NFL went to 14 games in 1961 which was the Vikings inaugural season. Now Tarkenton's second time around in Minnesota in the 1970's was when he torched us.
Thanks for the history. I knew they had a one loss season to a very beatable team. It was the Lions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe the Packers 5 championships in 7 years reigns as the best of all time. Ignoring the years prior to the Super Bowl is not reality, because back in the old days, only two teams played for the Championship, but it was still for the entire bag of marbles.
Good point. It's just hard to win championships in any sport. 5 to of 7? Pretty damned good and hard to differ it's the best streak for a pro football team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I also find it interesting, and little funny that it has only taken the Packers 30 years to erase an 85 game deficit.
Goes to show you just how good most of us Packer fans have had it over the past 30 years and much of it started just after "The Bears still suck" mantra began.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goes to show you just how good most of us Packer fans have had it over the past 30 years and much of it started just after "The Bears still suck" mantra began.
Been through the 60s (great), the 70s and 80s (sucked) and the last 30 years (great again). All different eras with different opportunities - and challenges. But good people have turned Green Bay around through the Packers. It's an amazing story of what a small town can do.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the history. I knew they had a one loss season to a very beatable team. It was the Lions.
Actually, that was possibly the best Lions season in the last 65 years. The Lions went 11-3 that season and we were 13-1. Now to show you how close this season was the Packers beat the Lions in Week 4 by a score of 9-7!. A late Adderley interception saved us to set up a Hornung FG when the Lions could have ran the ball and pinned us in deep. The Lions only other 2 losses were to the Giants 17-14 on a late FG and a 3-0 defeat to the Bears on the last day of the season. So you see that the season hung by a thread all year as good as we were. I think the pressure from the Lions that year forced the Packers to drive for perfection. And they did almost that.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, that was possibly the best Lions season in the last 65 years. The Lions went 11-3 that season and we were 13-1. Now to show you how close this season was the Packers beat the Lions in Week 4 by a score if 9-7!. A late Adderley interception saved us to set up a Hornung FG when the Lions could have ran the ball and pinned us in deep. The Lions only other 2 losses were to the Giants 17-14 on a late FG and a 3-0 defeat to the Bears on the last day of the season. So you see that the season hung by a thread all year as good as we were. I think the pressure from the Lions that year forced the Packers to drive for perfection. And they did almost that.
Interesting history, thanks!

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We went to the Bonanza ranch long before it became a tourist trap at Lake Tahoe. All that existed, at that time, was the town structures used in the show, the ranch house, which we toured, but couldn't go upstairs, because hands who cared for the facility had rooms there.

Also, the stable was there, and Hoss's horse, along with other stock. All dirt, and all old western.

It's too bad they destroyed it with commercialization later on. It was a great TV/movie set.
Fun fact. The actors Dan Blocker, Lorne Greene, Michael Landon, Pernell Roberts and others drank all the time. Also if you have ever noticed they pretty much wore the same clothes in every episode. Saved on wardrobe costs. 1960's television...those were the days.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun fact. The actors Dan Blocker, Lorne Greene, Michael Landon, Pernell Roberts and others drank all the time. Also if you have ever noticed they pretty much wore the same clothes in every episode. Saved on wardrobe costs. 1960's television...those were the days.
Yeah I guess Bonanza stands out as one of the TV series we watched in color. But we bought the color tv first and foremost for Packer games.

And I never liked Bonanza much anyway. A widower living with three grown sons in the desert who can't seem to get any girlfriends? Something off there.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I guess Bonanza stands out as one of the TV series we watched in color. But we bought the color tv first and foremost for Packer games.

And I never liked Bonanza much anyway. A widower living with three grown sons in the desert who can't seem to get any girlfriends? Something off there.
Apparently widowers were the rage in 60's/70's TV... Family Affair (Buffy & Jodi), Courtship of Eddie's Father, My 3 Sons, Andy Griffith Show, The Rifleman, Beverly Hillbillies, Flipper, Gidget, Mayberry RFD, Daktari and many lesser known shows.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently widowers were the rage in 60's/70's TV... Family Affair (Buffy & Jodi), Courtship of Eddie's Father, My 3 Sons, Andy Griffith Show, The Rifleman, Beverly Hillbillies, Flipper, Gidget, Mayberry RFD, Daktari and many lesser known shows.
Yeah that's a pretty complete list. I guess they didn't want to give any of these guys romantic interests. Taboo in 50s, 60s America.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I understand of the Old West, it was not at all unusual to wear the same clothes all week. Then maybe you changed into your Sunday Go To Meeting clothes, and back to the old duds. Hopefully they get washed somewhere in between.

There were a lot of widowers, weren't there? I'll add that Mr. Brady on the Brady Bunch was a widower when he married Carol.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
here were a lot of widowers, weren't there? I'll add that Mr. Brady on the Brady Bunch was a widower when he married Carol.
Mrs. Partridge was one mighty fine looking widow that would have had little trouble getting someone to share her bed. Even with the gaggle of offspring.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, if they did latch on with one woman it would have broke with the storyline.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if they did latch on with one woman it would have broke with the storyline.
I guess you're right. But it would be such a weird storyline in today's world. And while I was a tenenager at the time, I never questioned it. It has only seemed weird in retrospect. Then again there was My Three Sons, which I think was about a divorced father raising his three boys. Maybe not all that different than Two And a Half Men, in makeup rather than content.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wife and I bought an RCA color TV back in 1965. The first game broadcast in color was Thanksgiving Day, from Detroit. The Packers were not in that game. Lombardi had killed their involvement in it. He hated it.

The following year, games were broadcast in color. It was a treat watching them, after seeing b&w for so many years.

I can remember, on network TV, shows that were in color, even if they were horrible, had an edge in viewers, as people with color TVs chose color over content. Sadly, my wife and I were among them, at times.

I remember when an NBC show was about to come on, in color, they'd show a picture of the peacock, with it's colors. "Brought to you in living color, by NBC!"

That first color TV was a 21" round tube, and it was a console. It must have weighed at least 350#. If you moved it, the "guns," which were the red, blue, green guns of light that created the picture, would get out of alignment, and have to be realigned. They were monsters, but if you owned one, people loved coming to visit, to just watch a TV show they liked.

On Packer days, I had 3, sometimes 4 friends and their wives, who came over every Sunday, to watch the games. We'd get a pony of beer, and drink the whole thing, over the course of pregame, game, and post game shows. The women helped some, but it was mostly us guys. We'd split the cost, and each wife would prepare something and bring it to eat.

I'm sad to say that only one of those old friends is still alive, and I haven't actually seen him in over 25 years. But, back in the day, we had one helluva good time on Sundays, as Packer fans.
Nice recollection Voyageur. I was younger, but remember the first color TVs all the same. Yesterday I put a 32" flat screen smart TV in the guest BR. I could pick it up with one hand........

Reaction score
Nice recollection Voyageur. I was younger, but remember the first color TVs all the same. Yesterday I put a 32" flat screen smart TV in the guest BR. I could pick it up with one hand........
I was a generation behind, but I enjoyed slapping our Zenith around in the 70’s!
I sold TV’s from 1989-1996.Circuit City Inc and May Dept. Stores Co. RCA, Zenith, Sony, Panasonic, Magnavox, Hitachi, Mitsu, Broksonic, LG, you name it I sold it.

Just yesterday, for some unknown reason I just looked up my favorite customers from those early Days of sales (they were in that 70 year old range from memory). They were a great looking couple from Richmond VA and just the nicest people ever! She had that older Jane Fonda yiu can tell she was hot and he sorta had that distinguished, Ted from Mary Tyler Moore.
They always were so kind and loyal to me.
I’m almost certain my search showed Mary is still alive and is now 100yrs old! I was trying to think of a way of reaching out from across the country without seeming weird? Imagine if it was the wrong Mary and I scared her!

That totally made my day yesterday! That couple represented everything good about people. Treated me like a grandson.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a generation behind, but I enjoyed slapping our Zenith around in the 70’s!
We had a Zenith in the 50s. Black and White but I remember we got a remote control!. It was attached by a wire and you really had to press down to change a channel. The Old Man would get pretty mad if we changed channels a lot and he saw it. I'm sure he was thinking about the wear and tear. That's when they had the "Million Dollar Movie." Which they showed every night for a week and twice on sat/sun.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts