How To Deal With Steve Smith

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a huge steve smith fan, and love seeing him light it up last week, but as a packer fan I am a little concerned about him. Obviously I think the Pack are going to breeze through this game but Steve Smith is still a threat. With Tramon most likely out, what do you guys think is the best strategy to shut him down?

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he can play put S'oto in he will get to Cam and Clay on the other side Bush should not be underrated think he will surprise people,he has been pretty good,I think we will ruffle some feathers,in this game.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to ask opinions on D Scheme for this game today actually. I'm thinking keep a safety + DB on him at all times with another safety/ILB as a spy cause of Cam's run/pass option. Presure. Pressure. Pressure!

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I guarantee you the Panthers coaches are getting Cam ready for the slot blitz.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Ivo, Smith is in the twilight of his career. Last week was a fluke. Single him up, jam the shrimp at the line of scrimmage, pressure the rookie QB, and Smith will be lucky to get 50 yards.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think helmts has the right idea...Smith is at tail end and they did play Arizona last week...I thin our secondary is somewhat better then them

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's seems pretty much unanimous that the way to stop Smith is to get Cam rattled. Smith is still going to get open and he's still going to get some catches. Let's home they aren't too damaging. If they put Bush or Lee in against him, the secondary will get torched.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Ivo, Smith is in the twilight of his career. Last week was a fluke. Single him up, jam the shrimp at the line of scrimmage, pressure the rookie QB, and Smith will be lucky to get 50 yards.

I agree he is winding down his career and AZ has a bottom 5 secondary in the league. I am also pretty sure I would be crucified if I said that about a Packers WR that was 4 years older than Steve Smith... just sayin

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think it would be a nice welcome for Packer fans to see what real defense looks like after what happened last week.
We made the stops when we had to. Same formula that got us the Lombardi. We had a couple of good chances for a pick and forced a fumble not to mention the 3 short yardage stops we made. We were going up against the 2nd or 3rd best offense in the NFC. No way I expected we would keep Brees down. We just did our usual, out gun them early and get a lead then go into ball protect, clock eat mode and let the defense do its work. I think we will be better next week. I hope they are able to work S'oto in soon and give Clay a chance to dominate.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
We made the stops when we had to. Same formula that got us the Lombardi. We had a couple of good chances for a pick and forced a fumble not to mention the 3 short yardage stops we made. We were going up against the 2nd or 3rd best offense in the NFC. No way I expected we would keep Brees down. We just did our usual, out gun them early and get a lead then go into ball protect, clock eat mode and let the defense do its work. I think we will be better next week. I hope they are able to work S'oto in soon and give Clay a chance to dominate.

That would be a best case scenario, but I think Clay has the ability to dominate without help. (At least I hope.) Other linebackers have done it at times. There were times when Urlacher was on his own, as well as Ray Lewis. I know they're inside linebackers , but they found a way to be disruptive in the years they didn't have a great supporting cast. Although, the supporting cast in the years they had them really helped. So let's see if Clay can step it up even a notch higher. I'll bet he's gonna try.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay had a very good game from a pressure standpoint in the saints game, he might not have had a sack but he thats only part of the story. I think, and hope, that dom capers is going to blitz cam newton like 70% of the time.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This reminds me of the old story from the glory years of the Packers. When the Packers played the Clevland Browns in the NFL Championship game ( the last one before the Super Bowls), a reporter asked the Packers defensive tackle Henry Jordan how HE was going to stop the Brown's great Jim Brown. His answer?

" I am going to step aside and let Willie Davis tackle him."

Of course Jordan, Davis and Brown are all in the Hall of Fame.

I loved that story....

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was dry humor.

And we had the 5th best passing defense in the league last year, last week was not the formula that got us the Lombardi

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Smith isn't the only guy who can make plays on their offense. They do have two athletic tight-ends (Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey) and two running backs (Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams).

I'm guessing the Panthers will play a good deal of double tight-end sets. We're going to have to get better pass coverage from our linebackers here. Rookie quarterbacks love those security blankets. If the linebackers can't cover the tight ends then they'll probably have to use a safety. That would eliminate the idea of putting a safety over top of Smith.

(I expect Newton to be rattled by the blitzes we send though).

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Steve Smith isn't the only guy who can make plays on their offense. They do have two athletic tight-ends (Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey) and two running backs (Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams).

I'm guessing the Panthers will play a good deal of double tight-end sets. We're going to have to get better pass coverage from our linebackers here. Rookie quarterbacks love those security blankets. If the linebackers can't cover the tight ends then they'll probably have to use a safety. That would eliminate the idea of putting a safety over top of Smith.

(I expect Newton to be rattled by the blitzes we send though).
Jonathan Stewart is... OVERRATED

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he is winding down his career and AZ has a bottom 5 secondary in the league. I am also pretty sure I would be crucified if I said that about a Packers WR that was 4 years older than Steve Smith... just sayin

If you are referring to Dbl D, I believe he has played two more seasons than Smith. Take away Driver's first couple of years where he didn't play much, and the two have very similar players. However, I get your point, and yes, they would come out of the woodwork to "crucify" you...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do what Belichick has been doing forever.

It's not doubling the guy, but shifting the coverage towards him. Like Wood Chipper said, it's either put a CB with inside trail-man technique (term blalantly stolen from the great Matt Bowen) and a safety protecting deep, or in zone shift the LBs to the side Smith is, so the window is smaller. And always, always have a competent deep ball player in him. If he's matched up with a LB or with Peprah or Bush, we're toasted.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO there isn’t one way to stop any opposing player. Doing the same thing on D over and over (in similar down and distance) will get even the best NFL D beaten by a mediocre offensive coordinator. I expect Capers to attempt to confuse the rookie QB and I expect Carolina to respond with a lot of two TEs formations, as was mentioned, and concentrating on the run to protect Newton and their rookie RT who will be facing Clay. Capers can confuse veteran QBs so if he shows a trick or two – particularly early - that Newton hasn’t seen on video the Packers could grab an early lead and put even more pressure on the Panthers’ O. And in what I hope is a season-long trend, the Packers O is likely going to be a better “friend” to their D than they were last season.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Looks like a career revival for Steve Smith.

Latest posts