How to deal with Antonio Gates

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how do you guys think the Packers should deal with Gates this Sunday? He is a huge match up problem for any defense, this being no exception. I dont know if stopping him is possible but more of a containment plan seems likely.

Thoughts?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is going to be #38 on Vincent Jackson and Woodson trying to contain gates, maybe... IDK if i like the chances of any combination of hawk/walden/peprah/burnett keeping him under 100 yds recieving

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't Gates a bit nicked?

He has same injury I have... A ruptured plantar fascia..

He has had it for a year..

I can hardly walk on it much less run since June 20th when it happened..Thats almost 5 months now..

I feel for him and the pain he has..

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
how do you guys think the Packers should deal with Gates this Sunday? He is a huge match up problem for any defense, this being no exception. I dont know if stopping him is possible but more of a containment plan seems likely.

Thoughts?

play a cover 2 maybe put a safety on him instead of a line backer?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

Thoughts?

He is but Antonio Gates is not even close to being 100%. His injury is seriously hampering him this season. One of the great things about Antonio Gates is that he has a very explosive first step and he's lost that with this foot injury of his and he's an incredible athlete but the guy is slow this season and can't move around very well.

He could give a us problems but not the kind that DC's have to worry a lot about.

In the Red Zone is where he'll give us the most problems.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is but Antonio Gates is not even close to being 100%. His injury is seriously hampering him this season. One of the great things about Antonio Gates is that he has a very explosive first step and he's lost that with this foot injury of his and he's an incredible athlete but the guy is slow this season and can't move around very well.

He could give a us problems but not the kind that DC's have to worry a lot about.

In the Red Zone is where he'll give us the most problems.

So how do we stop him?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So how do we stop him?

Chip him off the line....He just needs to get his 1st step or two derailed and he wont have any speed left..

To give you an idea what it feels like----Mine feels like I am walking on a golf ball..And if I turn to fast when foot is planted, it feels like a hot knife is slicing the middle of my foot..

Now his is a year old, but I expect it still has some of same issues as me..

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
Gates isn't as athletic as Finley, but he presents the same redzone threat. The only way to shut him down will be to put press coverage on him and stop his ability to get down field. I'm sure Dom is watching to see what KC did to keep him out of the endzone last week.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's ridiculous how much better our defense is when they play bump and run. If I see us getting burned by zone again, I'm gonna rip my hair out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts