1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How Rusty will the Packers be?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by red4tribe, Jan 8, 2015.

1. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +436
    As I'm sure we all remember, the last time we had a bye, things didn't work out too well. The Giants came storming into town and beat us 37-20, ending what was a 15-1 season. Thinking back to that game, it was obvious that the team was really, really rusty. The timing on throws was off, and our wideouts dropped was seemed to be 7 or 8 passes. That being said, the starters essentially had three weeks off that year, as MM rested the starters in week 17, as the #1 seed was already locked up. That wasn't the case at all this year, the starters played hard through week 17. Do you think the Packers will come out rusty? Or do you think that the whole rust factor is overrated and won't be a factor?

2. Dagger85

Dagger85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +207
    I'm not buying into the rusty thing. After our bye earlier this year, we came back hotter than the first part of the season. I think the Giants caught us and we simply played a bad game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    If choosing between giving rodgers an extra week of rest or not? I would take the extra week of rest regardless of Sundays outcome

4. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    Rodgers had also not played for 3 weeks in 2011 as he sat out the Lions game. That's a difference from this time.

5. Pack12TX

Pack12TX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    That game was simply poor execution - not rust. If we execute our game on Sunday we will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    The last time we had a bye they came out and obliterated Chicago and put them away in 2 quarters.

7. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I'm much more worried about Rodgers' calf than "rust". BTW, that 2011 Giants team turned out to be pretty good.

8. Bridcarper

Bridcarper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Good observation - 6 touchdowns in the first half. Slowed down in the second but, hey, the game was already won. The Cowboys did a fine job turning around the game in the second half last week but I expect our concentration and resilience in defence to be up to the task of seeing that our offence can do the job in getting us through.

9. blueberryicedcoffee

blueberryicedcoffee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    I think there is a 0.000002% chance the Packers waltz out there rusty.

I just don't think it will happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Rust had nothing to do with it. We had no run game and the Giants had a front four that dominated and the Giants flooded the passing lanes. I don't recall our D having a stellar outing that game either.

11. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Feng Shui Debunker

Ratings:
    +175
    Man, if the Packers go into a playoff bye talking about how much it will help nagging injuries then come out flat afterwords, I will be absolutely flabergasted.

I think they'll come out rough and ready. And if our O line hadn't been doing a great job this year, I'd be REALLY worried about 12's leg, which I'm not.

12. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    I think they have learned from past mistakes. No rust. Relax.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hincha

Hincha Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    Yeah... do not think rust was the issue in that game. I only recall early pass to Jennings that I would attribute to rust in that game.

NYG matched up well with Packers and Packers had to come from behind and beat them at NY in the regular season. Hail Mary at end of half and several turnovers were too much to overcome.

14. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +514
    The Packers didn't have a rushing game and the defense was much more porous in 2011 than now. There was also the issue of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin's son drowning that had to affect the team as well.

I think it also helps this time that the Packers' regular season finale had important meaning. They had last week off but haven't been coasting for several weeks as 3 years ago. They were playing to win because they had to the final two weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1