How Rusty will the Packers be?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'm sure we all remember, the last time we had a bye, things didn't work out too well. The Giants came storming into town and beat us 37-20, ending what was a 15-1 season. Thinking back to that game, it was obvious that the team was really, really rusty. The timing on throws was off, and our wideouts dropped was seemed to be 7 or 8 passes. That being said, the starters essentially had three weeks off that year, as MM rested the starters in week 17, as the #1 seed was already locked up. That wasn't the case at all this year, the starters played hard through week 17. Do you think the Packers will come out rusty? Or do you think that the whole rust factor is overrated and won't be a factor?

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not buying into the rusty thing. After our bye earlier this year, we came back hotter than the first part of the season. I think the Giants caught us and we simply played a bad game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If choosing between giving rodgers an extra week of rest or not? I would take the extra week of rest regardless of Sundays outcome

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That game was simply poor execution - not rust. If we execute our game on Sunday we will be fine.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last time we had a bye they came out and obliterated Chicago and put them away in 2 quarters.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm much more worried about Rodgers' calf than "rust". BTW, that 2011 Giants team turned out to be pretty good.

Bridcarper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last time we had a bye they came out and obliterated Chicago and put them away in 2 quarters.

Good observation - 6 touchdowns in the first half. Slowed down in the second but, hey, the game was already won. The Cowboys did a fine job turning around the game in the second half last week but I expect our concentration and resilience in defence to be up to the task of seeing that our offence can do the job in getting us through.

DoctorChicken

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a 0.000002% chance the Packers waltz out there rusty.

I just don't think it will happen.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
As I'm sure we all remember, the last time we had a bye, things didn't work out too well. The Giants came storming into town and beat us 37-20, ending what was a 15-1 season. Thinking back to that game, it was obvious that the team was really, really rusty. The timing on throws was off, and our wideouts dropped was seemed to be 7 or 8 passes. That being said, the starters essentially had three weeks off that year, as MM rested the starters in week 17, as the #1 seed was already locked up. That wasn't the case at all this year, the starters played hard through week 17. Do you think the Packers will come out rusty? Or do you think that the whole rust factor is overrated and won't be a factor?
Rust had nothing to do with it. We had no run game and the Giants had a front four that dominated and the Giants flooded the passing lanes. I don't recall our D having a stellar outing that game either.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Man, if the Packers go into a playoff bye talking about how much it will help nagging injuries then come out flat afterwords, I will be absolutely flabergasted.

I think they'll come out rough and ready. And if our O line hadn't been doing a great job this year, I'd be REALLY worried about 12's leg, which I'm not.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they have learned from past mistakes. No rust. Relax.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah... do not think rust was the issue in that game. I only recall early pass to Jennings that I would attribute to rust in that game.

NYG matched up well with Packers and Packers had to come from behind and beat them at NY in the regular season. Hail Mary at end of half and several turnovers were too much to overcome.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers didn't have a rushing game and the defense was much more porous in 2011 than now. There was also the issue of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin's son drowning that had to affect the team as well.

I think it also helps this time that the Packers' regular season finale had important meaning. They had last week off but haven't been coasting for several weeks as 3 years ago. They were playing to win because they had to the final two weeks.

Members online

Latest posts