1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How much improvement will the same D scheme for 2 years have

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, Jun 10, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's the first time in a few years that we've had the EXACT same Defensive scheme in place for 2 years in a row.

What positions/players are you expecting to see the greatest improvement from because of the philosophical continuity on D?

I think the greatest improvement due to continuity will occur with FS Nick Collins.

Late last season, he seemed to finally be "getting it" and started to make plays we all know he is capable of making. I think having a new covering scheme that DC Sanders implemented made things a bit tough for him, and our DB Coach Schott.'s terrible communication abilities made Collins even more confused about what he was supposed to do.

I think he started to fix the problems of adjusting to a new scheme late last season, and I think having a better idea of how DC Sanders wants his Safeties to play will help Collins become more consistent this year.

2. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I would like to say all of the positions will benefit greatly but especially the LB corps. You've got Hawk back for his 2nd year and Poppinga coming back for his 2nd year as a starting LB. Barnett will improve quite a bit as well after having the same defensive coordinator for the 2nd year in a row for the first time in his career...

3. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: How much improvement will the same D scheme for 2 years

ND, I don't think that will be the case. I expect Barnett to improve, but not that much. The main complaint I have with Barnett is that he is too tentative in going after players (like RBs) when they hit the lane.

I don't really think it's anything to do with the scheme, it's just the way Barnett plays. Who knows though, maybe this year he'll be more sure of what he is supposed to do, and not be as hesitant, but I think it's his style to play like that and the scheme won't change his style too much.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    our linebackers rule.
    two years into the scheme helps.
    we will rock the north.

5. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4

I respectfully disagree...I think if Barnett has a glaring weakness, it's that he overpursues, which is a sign of over-aggressive play, not hesitancy.

6. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I expect the defense will be better because McCarthy will be more involved with the defense this year as he was toward the end of last season when he realized the D was underachieving.
    The defensive backs without Manuel will be better and the linebackers will be something special.
    I have high expectations for the defense this year and that in turn will help the offense.

I just hope our special teams will improve this year.

7. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0

Damn... I agree with you, I mixed Hodge up with Barnett.

I'll go back to drinking now.

8. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    drinking means good times.
    our defense will be good though.
    I can't wait to see.

9. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

How much improvement in 2nd year with the same D scheme?

Compare Schottenheimer2004 to Schottenheimer 2006?

Manuel has been a career backup and only played when the starters were injured. He was a 6th round pick like Culver, Peprah a 5th, Underwood a 4th, Rouse a 3rd, and Collins a second.

Underwood is better and cheaper than Roman, Roman was better and cheaper than Manuel.

How did Jim Bates do so well with Carroll??

10. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    California Cheez Posted "
    How did Jim Bates do so well with Carroll?? "

What is your definition of "So well". Did I miss something when I thought I saw was Carroll's lack luster performences as a Defensive back for Green Bay in '04 and then in "05 under Packer DC Jim Bates.

Then more of the same In '06, only with then new Packer defensive Co-ordinator Bob Sanders(was was an assistant to Jim Bates in '05), was kept on staff by then new Packer head Coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy promoted promoted Sanders to Packers' Defensive Co-ordinator after Jim Bates left.

Ahmad Carroll never seem to adjust to the new NFL rule on using his hands in guarding pass receivers. which changed in '04, Carroll's first year in NFL.

Carroll was continually was penalized for illegal use of his hands. He then made things worse "by crying to officiials" just about on every call, thus the officials watched him more closely and penalized for every offense. they saw. He would been much better to keep his mouth shut.
    Carroll was given over two years to correct his his errors and just never did. He also had some serious lapses in pass coverages at times during his time here in Green Bay.

Carroll's behavior here in Green Bay in the locker room was very disrupted. He fought with a team mate in locker room and had problems on practice field with his team mates. Carroll just wasn't a good fit in Green Bay or anywhere in NFL.!!!

I will not go into Carroll's legal problems, there is too much of this going on in media all the time . with Bengals and Vick over at Atlanta and others . Enough is enough!!

The packers first round draft pick record since 1991 has been poor. DB Vinnie Clark in draft of '91. Db Terrell Buckley in '92, Db Antuan Edwards in draft of '99 and now" last but not least " Ahmad Carroll in 2004.

Packers did better in rounds lower than the first round. Best example is the great safety Leroy Butler taken in 2nd round of 1999 draft.

Also Db Doug Evans of the Super Bowl champs of 1996 taken in 6th round of 1993 draft. Also DB Tyrone Williams of the Super Bowl champs of 1996 drafted in the 3rd round of 1996 draft.

Also Safety Darren Sharper drafted in 2nd round of 1997 draft.

DB Keith Mckenzie picked in the 3rd round of 1999 draft.

There is no sure reecord of success many time .when a player is drafted in the first round of NFL draft many Heisman trophy especially QBa have failed in NFL when they were drafted in the first round of NFL draft.

11. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with trom.

That is all.

12. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Same scheme means our players FINALLY can get this down the right way. Top 5 defense perhaps? I'm sure Favre would be happy about that.

13. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    2007- The Birth Of The Packers "Shock And Awe!" Defence.

2008 will even be better.

Nuff Said.

14. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

I know what you're saying. I'm gonna just add. I don't think Brett much cares where they rank on O or D as long as they are winning lol

15. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4

you want me to set up a makeout party?

16. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

Arrow's jealous

17. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4

"hella jealous."

trom gets that one.

18. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    we all believe this defense is gonna be pretty stout this year... and think they will bring some pain....

the only real question here is... are they gonna be good enough to get a nickname, and if so what would it be.

shock and awe like RP said?

or something else.

19. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I think the defense is going to kick tail this year.

Both Poppinga and Hawk should be outstanding after a learning curve year and if Harrell is who they think he is he will help the LB's as well.

Moving Jenkins late was an awesome move and now having KBG to fill in everybody should be fresh in the fourth which is when you want that pass rush to dominate.

There is going to be extreme competition at Safety. EXTREME. My gut says Underwood and Collins but that is going to be a position to sit back and watch. There should definately be higher quality play from whatever comes out of this.

Hopefully, we are going to stuff the run and make teams pass the ball. With the depth we have in the line we should be able to tee off on the QB with number of combinations. I see a lot of turnovers coming our way this year.

We will be in the same schemes although I think Sanders will add more packages now that they have a lineup returning basically intact plus Hawk and Poppinga can handle more now.

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ditto Yoop!
    I think the D will be good, but those darn special teams have done alot of damage to us in the last several years. I HOPE they can improve.