How many more?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody here assumes the simplest thing. That whoever offers the most money gets the player no matter what. The fact is that other factors often have just as much influence. We don't know that the Packers offered less money, it sounds to me like they at least matched, if not surpassed the money offered by the Giants but Arrington wanted to play the Redskins twice a year and respected the defensive coordinator of the Giants. He also is probably more at home at a big market like New York.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I do think that TT was fighting an uphill battle with Lavar, the truth of the matter is he didn't get it done. Yes, NY was a more attractive scenario because of the division, Def coach, and large market, but a good salesman would have still made the deal go through. TT seems to have the charisma of a piece of plywood and I'm sure that isn't helping.

Oh yeah, we also have a BOATLOAD of money.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending a boatload of money isn't the answer. That is what happened with Cledius Hunt and several other players that Sherman wanted to keep by overpaying, it didn't quite work out. It seems like Arrington was using his visit with the Packers for leverage to get the Giants to up the price and as soon as they offered something acceptable to him he was going to sign with them no matter what happened. You are expecting way too much of any GM if you think they are going to get a player to sign with them no matter the circumstances.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not expecting TT to be some superman that can destroy any obstacle in his way and sign any player that he wants, but I just don't see him as a good salesman either. Lavar asked to talk to Brett, TT denied him. TT has a Boatload of money, I'm not saying throw it all at Lavar, but we could sweeten it a bit more, front load it and not worry about killing the cap for next year.

Who knows, maybe TT did offer Lavar more money. All I know is that he signed somewhere else so the bottom line is TT didn't get it done. Whatever his approach was, it didn't work.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus Christ quit making excuses for the man. He didn't get his guy for whatever reason. Don't give me this "poor little Green Bay" crap. It didn't keep Reggie from coming. You gotta be able to sell your organization. If not, get the hell outta the business.

There have been a couple of you nuthuggers that have said "TT probably offered him at least what New York did." Where the hell are you getting this stuff?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just frusterated that everybody oversimplifies his job and isn't giving him a chance. I've said many times that I am not either pro or anti Ted Thompson because he has been here for one full offseason that had no cap room and another half of an offseason. John Clayton reported that the Packers made a huge push to sign Arrington but Arrington wanted to stay in the division and liked the D coordinator Tim Lewis. That leads me to assume that the Packers put in a very competitive offer money wise. It is just an assumption but I would say a pretty fair assumption considering making a huge push to sign a guy wouldn't likely mean offering less money.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes ,well, next year we will be picking 1st overall, and have like 200 million to spend, we will be the richest loosing team ever !!!

If the job is to dificult for him it will be wise and honest to resign.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he is so unsuited for the job, having recently helped to build the NFC champion Seahawks, playing a large role in drafting players like Shaun Alexander, Steve Hutchinson, Marcus Trufant, and Michael Boulware. Yup I'd say the job is way too difficult for him.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree that early results seem to say that TT is fairly good at drafting players. I'm not sure how large of a role he had in bringing in Shaun Alexander et al, but he should be commend at least at some level. What worries me is that he doesn't seem to have a grasp on the Free agency side of being a GM. They have a job for people like that, its called a scout.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to say my last words on this subject because I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over.

The fact is that we have no choice but to trust Ted Thompson for at least a couple more years. None of us know the things that go on behind the scenes and if the difficulties he had trying to sign Arrington and Vinateri and whoever else were his fault or factors out of his control. All that can we can do is just speculate. It is out of our hands and in his and we just have to let him run with it. He should just do things his way and he will eventually be judged on the team that he put together. Could he create a horrible team and ruin the Packers for years? Yes he could. Could he create a Packer dynasty? Yes he could. Could he be a run of the mill GM doing just enough to get by? Yes he could. We can't really judge him until he has shown what he can do. I understand that it kind of sucks to trust his abilities and that on the outside it can seem frusterating, but the fact is that he has the information needed to do the job and he is very well equipped for the job so as fans we can't do anything but wait and see.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right SuperRat, all in all history will be the judge of TT. I hope he turns this franchise around, I'm just not ready to "trust" him yet.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:
You're right SuperRat, all in all history will be the judge of TT. I hope he turns this franchise around, I'm just not ready to "trust" him yet.

He doesn't have to turn it around. Just twick it a little bit. Last year was not our team.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I'm going to say my last words on this subject because I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over.

The fact is that we have no choice but to trust Ted Thompson for at least a couple more years. None of us know the things that go on behind the scenes and if the difficulties he had trying to sign Arrington and Vinateri and whoever else were his fault or factors out of his control. All that can we can do is just speculate. It is out of our hands and in his and we just have to let him run with it. He should just do things his way and he will eventually be judged on the team that he put together. Could he create a horrible team and ruin the Packers for years? Yes he could. Could he create a Packer dynasty? Yes he could. Could he be a run of the mill GM doing just enough to get by? Yes he could. We can't really judge him until he has shown what he can do. I understand that it kind of sucks to trust his abilities and that on the outside it can seem frusterating, but the fact is that he has the information needed to do the job and he is very well equipped for the job so as fans we can't do anything but wait and see.

Too bad Brett Favre doesn't seem to factor into his "plan"....

That's the frustrating thing...so you'll have to forgive some people for not warming to the idea of having to take the "new" GM totally on trust, giving him total power and say so over the GB Packer organization...when you're seeing your HOF QB--who has "earned" the trust of the fans treated in such a manner....

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you consider the fact that in no way does Ted Thompson not want Brett Favre. He has given Favre tons of time to make his decision. If it was correct that Favre told him that he felt like he was being pushed and was going to retire and that TT told him to hold on and take whatever time he needs then your whole "theory" has nothing to stand on. If TT wanted Favre to leave he could of let him right then and nobody would probably be the wiser. You only think he doesn't want Favre because TT isn't bringing in every big name free agent, but it seems to me like he has been trying to get several high profile guys and they see better situations elsewhere.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Unless you consider the fact that in no way does Ted Thompson not want Brett Favre. He has given Favre tons of time to make his decision. If it was correct that Favre told him that he felt like he was being pushed and was going to retire and that TT told him to hold on and take whatever time he needs then your whole "theory" has nothing to stand on. If TT wanted Favre to leave he could of let him right then and nobody would probably be the wiser. You only think he doesn't want Favre because TT isn't bringing in every big name free agent, but it seems to me like he has been trying to get several high profile guys and they see better situations elsewhere.

Actions speak louder than words. Especially to someone like Brett. He HAS to say he wants Brett back. He HAS to give hime as much time as he wants. "What's he gonna do? Cut him?"

His actions thus far say he wants to move on and see if his first draft pick ever can do the job so he can say "look at me....I'm a genius."

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm actually starting to think that TT doesn't really care one way or the other if Favre retires...

If Favre comes back this year...then great...the Packers will win more games because of it...

If he doesn't..then so be it...

TT will go on with his "plan"...which doesn't seem to include the stipulation of a committment to "winning now"....which is what Brett wants....

(But in no way is TT going to "OVERTLY" push Brett out the door...)

TT is going to do what TT is going to do...(and that's build through the draft....)

whether Brett Favre's on the GB Packers.....

or not!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, what do you want him to do...curl up in the fetal position and scream for Mommy if Favre leaves? I am glad that TT is cool and calculated....the position demands it. I am actually quite PLEASED he has a plan if in fact Favre returns. You sound as if you would be happy if he did not, 66.

How dare he have a plan for each ofthe contingencies that may present themselves prior to the season...for shame!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is his plan digs...if Favre returns....

To get him KILLED because GB has no O-LINE?

(and no blue-chip receivers..?)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Well, what do you want him to do...curl up in the fetal position and scream for Mommy if Favre leaves? I am glad that TT is cool and calculated....the position demands it. I am actually quite PLEASED he has a plan if in fact Favre returns. You sound as if you would be happy if he did not, 66.

How dare he have a plan for each ofthe contingencies that may present themselves prior to the season...for shame!!

Absolutely not! But perhaps the "curl up in the fetal position and scream for Mommy" explains what was happening at the start of free agency when Witherspoon's agent claims he could not get a call back from 1265 and Green Bay was saying to free agents that they would have to wait a week until staff returned from Pro Day's visits with college players? :wink: :wink:

Of course Ted has a plan and needs to plan for the big picture and the long haul as well as the current situation.

66 is simply offering an opinion about the handling of a first ballot hall of fame player who has given his heart and soul to this franchise for the past 15 seasons. It is hard to fault him for that -- especially given his long reign as President of the Brett Favre fan club, which he has never been unclear about.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More importantly, I am ecstatic that TT has a plan in the event that Favre leaves. That would be a big BOO-BOO to go in blind....as 66 makes having such a plan sound like sabotaging Favre's status with the team or something.

For all you "football experts" out there...June 1 is a huge date where many TALENTED veterans are cut loose for nothing more than financial reasons and sign elsewhere...many times at steep discounts. I have a feeling that TT is keeping his powder dry, and his money safe, until he sees who comes up after June 1. In many cases, high caliber players at a better price.

Geez....people act as if that date, and those players, don't even come into play with procuring talent.

A little shortsighted if you ask me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
hoos said:
I'll agree that early results seem to say that TT is fairly good at drafting players. I'm not sure how large of a role he had in bringing in Shaun Alexander et al, but he should be commend at least at some level.

I posted an article aobut that specific thing here..It came from jsonline and was right before the SB this year..I think it was Mike Reinfeldt that was quoted as saying Shaun was TT choice...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
hoos said:
I'll agree that early results seem to say that TT is fairly good at drafting players. I'm not sure how large of a role he had in bringing in Shaun Alexander et al, but he should be commend at least at some level.

I posted an article aobut that specific thing here..It came from jsonline and was right before the SB this year..I think it was Mike Reinfeldt that was quoted as saying Shaun was TT choice...

That was a nice fluff Public Relations piece run by the JS sucking up to the GM, but runs contrary to the comments from Mike Holmgren and others in Seattle.

Ted Thompson is a good college scout and player evaluator -- to deny that would be ridiculous. Does that mean he has what it takes to handle the position of GM which involves so much more??? I don't know but am NOT overly impressed with the results to this point.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Reinfeldt is the Vice President of Football Administration in Seattle??

So why would he say that if it was not true..Wouldnt giving false information out get him in trouble with Holmgren??

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=389230

"On the day before the draft, Thompson informed Reinfeldt that he was targeting Alexander at 19 and McIntosh at 22. The Seahawks got whom they wanted."

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is God..... Well a little bit below but almost !!!!

Maybe beign so great he can trade owr 5th for 1st,2nd and 3rd overall !!! He can drop JW and Ferguson in those deals !!!

Members online

Latest posts