How good are the Packers?

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say luck, easy schedule, and our teams improved playing got this years Packer team to the playoffs. Next year luck and schedule will not be so kind.

Just look at this years teams (that had a winning record) and how the Packers faired against them: 2-5 against the better teams in the NFL

Steelers - Loss
Bengals - Loss
vikings - loss - loss
Ravens - WIN
Dallas - WIN
Cardinals - Loss, I am not counting regular season game, obviously did not play to win

49ers (8-8) WIN
bears (7-9) WIN - WIN
lions (2-14) WIN - WIN
Rams (1-15) WIN
Tampa (3-13) Loss
Settle (5-11) WIN
Browns (5-11) WIN

Against some of the worst teams in the NFL 8-1, we beat the teams we should beat.

Unless we do some major shifting and reorganizing to address the O-line and cut the players on defense that do not fit this new 3-4 scheme and bring ones that do,with next years schedule I can not see the Pack finishing any better than 9-7.

IMO we are not a team that is a player or two away, the O-line alone is a player or two away. This year I hope or believe we will see the major decisions/changes in player personnel on the defense. Just to name a few, Hawk,Kampman, Bigby,Harris,Brad Jones,Justin Harrell to name a few.

Honestly I don't know how good we are, the Steelers and Cardinals raise a lot more questions than answers. I would feel better had the Cardinals played well against the vikings, even in a loss.

I guess after watching and feeling so good after the preseason this year, then marching toward a 4-4 record, are we not because of our schedule setting ourselves up for another preseason let down.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one that is looking at next years schedule and is thinking it isn't as tough as everyone is making out?

Chicago Bears (WIN)
Chicago Bears (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Minnesota Vikings (UNSURE)
Dallas Cowboys (WIN)
Philadelphia Eagles (UNSURE)
New York Giants (WIN)
Washington Redskins (WIN)
San Francisco 49ers (WIN)
Atlanta Falcons (WIN)
Buffalo Bills (WIN)
New England Patriots (UNSURE)
Miami Dolphins (WIN)
New York Jets (WIN)

After going through it, I'm VERY confident that we should/could win AT LEAST 12 games next season. I just don't think next year's schedule is as tough as people are making out. There are a few games where we could come unstuck, but that is the same most season's.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Am I the only one that is looking at next years schedule and is thinking it isn't as tough as everyone is making out?

Chicago Bears (WIN)
Chicago Bears (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Dallas Cowboys (WIN)
New York Giants (WIN)
Atlanta Falcons (WIN)
Buffalo Bills (WIN)
Miami Dolphins (WIN)
New York Jets (WIN)

After going through it, I'm VERY confident that we should/could win AT LEAST 12 games next season. I just don't think next year's schedule is as tough as people are making out. There are a few games where we could come unstuck, but that is the same most season's.
No UK, you are not. It seems like every season, the schedule for next year looks tougher than it ends up being. Who really thought Cincinnati at home would be one of our tougher opponents? Who thought Tampa Bay (even though we managed to go there and lay an egg) would be one of our weakest opponents? Who thought the Steelers would miss the playoffs? Who thought the BOBs would suck (well I did because I always do - but most national folks though Culter would make them a contender)?

In a nutshell, the way the NFL is today it is really hard to predict with any certainty how a team will be 9 months before you play them. There is still FA, the draft, injuries during the season, etc...

Right now we simply need to focus on OUR team and improvement of weaknesses like the OL and secondary. If we take care of our own business and get some luck in the injury department we will be a good team.

Funny, the person who started the thread wanted to focus on all the "luck" that got us to 11-5 this season but then ignored all of the bad luck that played a part in 6-10 the season before.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Chicago Bears (WIN)
Chicago Bears (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Dallas Cowboys (WIN)
New York Giants (WIN)
Atlanta Falcons (WIN)
Buffalo Bills (WIN)
Miami Dolphins (WIN)
New York Jets (WIN)

Sweeping the bears is a hard thing to do.

Jets I would be unsure of, have you been watching the playoffs

49ers are a player or 2 away from becoming a problem, especially if Crabtree in his second year breaks out.

Atlanta is only one year removed from the playoffs, had a down year with a good QB in his second year.

Pick next years Tampa Bay.

This year I would have said we beat the Bengals and split with the vikings, instead we go 0-3. Remember all these teams have a year of tape on how we play our defense and the Steeler/Cardinals exposed a major weakness in going for a 1000 yards against the Pack.

I don't share your confidence, unless we get some good veterans to bring that O-line up to match the rest of that offense. If we have only rookies added to this team, we will fight to go 9-7.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Chicago Bears (WIN)
Chicago Bears (LOSS)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Minnesota Vikings (LOSS if Favre is back, WIN if not)
Minnesota Vikings (LOSS either way)
Dallas Cowboys (LOSS)
Philadelphia Eagles (LOSS)
New York Giants (LOSS)
Atlanta Falcons (WIN)
Buffalo Bills (WIN)
New England Patriots (LOSS)
Miami Dolphins (LOSS)
New York Jets (WIN)

I have 8-8 if Favre is back. 9-7 if not.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Chicago Bears (WIN)
Chicago Bears (LOSS)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Detroit Lions (WIN)
Minnesota Vikings (LOSS if Favre is back, WIN if not)
Minnesota Vikings (LOSS either way)
Dallas Cowboys (LOSS)
Philadelphia Eagles (LOSS)
New York Giants (LOSS)
Atlanta Falcons (WIN)
Buffalo Bills (WIN)
New England Patriots (LOSS)
Miami Dolphins (LOSS)
New York Jets (WIN)

I have 8-8 if Favre is back. 9-7 if not.
As of right now, I would agree with those marks, except for MIA. I think that game is a win for us.

Also, I only agree with this list given the offseason is a total loss for us. If we don't address any of the problems we have now with FA and the draft, then our record could turn out like this. Otherwise, I think we can sweep the AFC East, do a good number on the NFC East and, as long as Favre doesn't return, I think we could win our own division as well.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Incubes and Jess, what makes you think that we will lose to both the Cowboys and the Giants at home next season (and add the Dolphins for Jess)? I think we're strong enough, and very capable of beating those teams at Lambeau.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I'm getting sick and tired of those claiming that the reason why the Pack won was because they beat easy teams.
If you think it's easy to win then you go put on the pads, the helmet, the jersey and go out there and see how easy it is to play against strong grown men who are professional athletes. If the Pack had it so easy then how come they lost to Tampa Bay? (As well as the Saints.)
I don't think any team is as easy to beat as we think it is. Or take a look at how the Jets beat the Chargers. It was supposed to be an easy win for the Chargers, wasn't it?
The Pack won those games not because they were easy teams to beat. No. The Pack won because they played better.

Second: As for the upcoming season, who knows? Who cares? We haven't had the draft, the shifting of coaching staffs, players haven't quit or gone to other teams yet.
Every team will be a different team by the first kickoff of the 10 season.
We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.
One game at a time.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Incubes and Jess, what makes you think that we will lose to both the Cowboys and the Giants at home next season (and add the Dolphins for Jess)? I think we're strong enough, and very capable of beating those teams at Lambeau.
I think despite what happened in Minnesota a couple days ago that Dallas carries a lot of momentum into next year. They're going to be a force.

The Giants are far more talented than they played this year and they're going to be on a mission and super motivated next year.

I think that Miami is a team ready to make a big leap next year. With Chad Henne getting a year under his belt, Ricky Williams will still be effective, and they get Ronnie Brown back. Add to that the fact that it looks like they're getting Mike Nolan for their defensive coordinator a year after he worked wonders in Denver and I think Miami is a team that contends next year.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All valid reasons :)

I just think that with a year under the D's belt, and Rodgers growing in confidence, then I think we've got enough to beat those 3 teams at home. Fingers crossed for some good O-line talent.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, most of the losses came earlier in the season with the defense still adjusting to the 3-4 and the offensive line not blocking anyone. While they lost the shootouts with Pittsburgh and Arizona, they were in those games until the end and proved they can score on anyone. It's easy to take the last game and extrapolate weakness but remember, you're never as good as you think or as bad. All you have to do is be a little better than the other guy at the right time.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
+1

Good posting and IMO spot on.
First of all I'm getting sick and tired of those claiming that the reason why the Pack won was because they beat easy teams.
If you think it's easy to win then you go put on the pads, the helmet, the jersey and go out there and see how easy it is to play against strong grown men who are professional athletes. If the Pack had it so easy then how come they lost to Tampa Bay? (As well as the Saints.)
I don't think any team is as easy to beat as we think it is. Or take a look at how the Jets beat the Chargers. It was supposed to be an easy win for the Chargers, wasn't it?
The Pack won those games not because they were easy teams to beat. No. The Pack won because they played better.

Second: As for the upcoming season, who knows? Who cares? We haven't had the draft, the shifting of coaching staffs, players haven't quit or gone to other teams yet.
Every team will be a different team by the first kickoff of the 10 season.
We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.
One game at a time.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think despite what happened in Minnesota a couple days ago that Dallas carries a lot of momentum into next year. They're going to be a force.

The Giants are far more talented than they played this year and they're going to be on a mission and super motivated next year.

I think that Miami is a team ready to make a big leap next year. With Chad Henne getting a year under his belt, Ricky Williams will still be effective, and they get Ronnie Brown back. Add to that the fact that it looks like they're getting Mike Nolan for their defensive coordinator a year after he worked wonders in Denver and I think Miami is a team that contends next year.

Do Miami not have Pennington back too?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget Favre I know that football is never an easy sport but when you compare apples to apples in the case of packer talent against the talent of other teams you have to scratch your head a little, did we manage to get by a little because we beat up a bunch of punks. Heres an interesting debacle that's going on in Packerville: Our defense only forced turnovers only against lousy quarterbacks thus proving we did have it easy this season. Well lets look at who got interceptions this season, and I'm talking about an interception where you read the quarterback perfectly, jump the route and play perfect coverage and not the fluke ones where you just happen to be around the ball or the qb simply overthrew it or by mental mistake, here's a chart I compiled detailing this:

Player,Real INT,Fluke INT:
C. Woodson 7 2
N. Collins 5 1
A. Bigby 2 2
T. Williams 2 2
A. Harris 1 1
A. Hawk 1 1
J. Bush 1 0
C. Jenkins 1 0
J. Jolly 1 0

So if we do the math by disregarding all the flukes that we know a good qb will hardly throw we get 21 interceptions total which puts us at # 7. That means that while we did play easier teams we still got the job done because we have such a talented team. Would better qb's have thrown these intos? Probably because as the numbers prove our secondary is still pretty solid.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
It is a fact that the Packers played all of the season without Blackmon and Lee and the stretch run without Harris. That is 60% of their preferred top 5 corners. The NFL is tough enough to win in when you get one position decimated. It is a passing league and I can't think of any teams that wouldn't show serious vulnerability if they lost 60% of their top corners.

I think the Packers are a very young and talented team with some holes (just like everyone else). But one of the best parts about youth is that it generally IMPROVES. I hope Ted is smart enough to realize that we don't need to be the youngest team in the NFL again... We need to use FA wisely and plug a hole or two with a good vet. To be a championship contender we need to draft wisely again, and we need to see some improvement in the game of a few key youngsters (Raji, Lang, Lee, Brad Jones, Jarius Wynn - along with even more from Rodgers, Finley, Matthews, et al).

This is why Ted wanted a young roster. You actually can improve by standing pat, simply from guys growing up. We were pretty damned good this year and barring bad luck with injuries next year there is no reason to think we shouldn't be at least as good next year. Add in any of the following: internal improvement, great draft or a couple key FAs and you will see a better team. If multiple happen nobody is going to want to play us. If the chips fall right, Green Bay could be scary good next season.

Reaction score
All i know is we are coming back next year with a sick offense probably a top 5 offense with no o line and a o line that cant do worst then last year. And a 2nd year defense into play and more knowledge of what to do and how to work the system perfect at the end its like our defense lost track of who they were covering. We should be fine next year despite the harder schedule record may not say as well as this year but we will be more battle tested with the better teams

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say luck, easy schedule, and our teams improved playing got this years Packer team to the playoffs. Next year luck and schedule will not be so kind.

Just look at this years teams (that had a winning record) and how the Packers faired against them: 2-5 against the better teams in the NFL

Steelers - Loss
Bengals - Loss
vikings - loss - loss
Ravens - WIN
Dallas - WIN
Cardinals - Loss, I am not counting regular season game, obviously did not play to win

49ers (8-8) WIN
bears (7-9) WIN - WIN
lions (2-14) WIN - WIN
Rams (1-15) WIN
Tampa (3-13) Loss
Settle (5-11) WIN
Browns (5-11) WIN

Against some of the worst teams in the NFL 8-1, we beat the teams we should beat.

Unless we do some major shifting and reorganizing to address the O-line and cut the players on defense that do not fit this new 3-4 scheme and bring ones that do,with next years schedule I can not see the Pack finishing any better than 9-7.

IMO we are not a team that is a player or two away, the O-line alone is a player or two away. This year I hope or believe we will see the major decisions/changes in player personnel on the defense. Just to name a few, Hawk,Kampman, Bigby,Harris,Brad Jones,Justin Harrell to name a few.

Honestly I don't know how good we are, the Steelers and Cardinals raise a lot more questions than answers. I would feel better had the Cardinals played well against the vikings, even in a loss.

I guess after watching and feeling so good after the preseason this year, then marching toward a 4-4 record, are we not because of our schedule setting ourselves up for another preseason let down.

I can't argue this at all, and if for no other reason than during TT's tenure, Green Bay has failed to post back-to-back winning seasons. Once this happens, we all can assume most of the pieces are in place because winning the season after you make the playoffs usually means you're playing a more difficult schedule.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
While it is to early to say who they might beat next year the Packers have the base for a really good team. TT really needs to work on re-signing Tauscher. If he let's him walk I would be fearful of Rodgers health next year. Unless they draft some stud o-lineman, and TT has shown that he does not take many O-lineman in the top two rounds. They also have to start working on replacements for Harris and Woodson. Although not as pressing as the O-line they are starting to get up there in age and if one goes down again as this year they don't seem to have a real good back up to replace them.

I think they should let Kampman go. Although he is good when he is on the line he seems to suffer in the OLB position. They could have tagged him if he was not injured but at this point it is to much of a risk. Jones seemed to be doing pretty well in his spot.

As to how many games they will win next year, I can easily see them at 12-4 and once again in the top for a division title run. Playoffs for sure, as long as they keep the o-line intact.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year will likely be a lot more difficult, but the Pack could still have as good or better record than this year when it is all said and done. The Pack needs to fix the O-line and secondary play NOW, if they do this (like they fixed the run D), the Packers will not be stopped. The O-line as we all know is very bad, Rodgers seldom has time to let a big play open down the field. The special teams I think are the worst in the league and the secondary is terrible, thanks to Bush and a few others. I think that a pass rush will hide some of the problems in the seconday and if Harris can come back 100%, then the Pack can do it. The offense is only going to improve, providing they can fix the O-line and I think that Capers will fix the D. Many of the (feared) teams now are on the decline, the Packers are just getting started.

PApackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, screw the NFC East. I hope we beat the crap each east team. I hate hearing how good the NFC East is each year and living with an eagles and cowboys fan i get enough "we are the best" each year. Fact is the East had their glory the North is on the rise, with the Packer on top. Brett isnt staying in Minn for long, if they get a good QB then they will be a good contender. And all Chicago needs is their def back, playing well.

GB is a young team, youngest in the NFL on avg, and being a young and very talented team i see us going to the superbowl within the next few years as we get better and more experienced. A couple holes need to be filled first and i see us being a Great team. The def gets its secondary back in order and our pass rushers get better our def will be great along with the 34 def being perfected. Honestly i love the "phyco-def" formation we run. I've read and studied defenses and with how the offenses are changing a 2-5 or 1-6 def would really F**k wit QB's like Payton n Brady. Capers has more to this def than we've seen and i think were gonna see more next year. Back to the subject...All our offense needs is an O-line, which i believe will help Grant in his running game as well. I sure everyone already knows whats needs to be fixed, but it isnt but much and within a year or so GB is going to be a great team. That being said, i dont care who we play, the Green and Gold will prosper.