How early should we take another wr??

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking as early the third round. With JJ probably gone and the contracts of both Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson coming to an end i think TT should take one sooner then later. Two guys i really like that may be around in the 3rd round are Clemson Wr Martavis Bryant and Wisconsin Wr Jared Abbrederis. I think both are going to be steady wrs at the next level and would both look good and green and gold. I really really like Abbrederis but i can't ignore the physical gifts of Martavis Bryant. Heres a guy thats 6'5 with sub 4.43 speed and is a legit deep veritcal threat with excellent leaping ability. Have we ever had one of those? Abbrederis on the other hand isn't as gifted but he can be a Eric Decker/Jordy Nelson type of Wr which is good enough for me. Probably the best route runner in the draft and has a nice set of hands to go along with mental toughness. Abbrederis is going to be a steal mark my words.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... Martavis Bryant. Heres a guy thats 6'5 with sub 4.43 speed and is a legit deep veritcal threat with excellent leaping ability.
With those physical gifts, why would he last into the 3rd?

I really like Abbrederis. IMO he'd be great with a very accurate passer, something he hasn't experienced much. I really like Borland too. While I've seen every game they've played as Badgers, I haven't seen the prospects they're competing with nearly as much...

Oh, and with Thompson's record selecting WRs in the second round...

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With those physical gifts, why would he last into the 3rd?

I really like Abbrederis. IMO he'd be great with a very accurate passer, something he hasn't experienced much. I really like Borland too. While I've seen every game they've played as Badgers, I haven't seen the prospects they're competing with nearly as much...

Oh, and with Thompson's record selecting WRs in the second round...

He's got Jermicheal Finley hands that's why. the other knock on him is he's not as physical as you would like for a guy 6'5 200 pounds. But the physical attributes can't be denied...with a good wr's coach and veteran guidance he can be in the same category as Alshon Jeffrey, and Brandon Marshall...except with Danarius Thomas speed. Taking a wr in the second may be to high for TT in this draft....we need to find a quality safety which is why i say 3rd round.

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer a tight end to another receiver. I think Cobb and Nelson get extensions and Boykins develops into a #3. A starting caliber tight end can open the middle of the field and be red zone threat. Since it seems like Finley is done (either with his career or time with the Packers), the Packers need a tight end.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking as early the third round. With JJ probably gone and the contracts of both Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson coming to an end i think TT should take one sooner then later. Two guys i really like that may be around in the 3rd round are Clemson Wr Martavis Bryant and Wisconsin Wr Jared Abbrederis. I think both are going to be steady wrs at the next level and would both look good and green and gold. I really really like Abbrederis but i can't ignore the physical gifts of Martavis Bryant. Heres a guy thats 6'5 with sub 4.43 speed and is a legit deep veritcal threat with excellent leaping ability. Have we ever had one of those? Abbrederis on the other hand isn't as gifted but he can be a Eric Decker/Jordy Nelson type of Wr which is good enough for me. Probably the best route runner in the draft and has a nice set of hands to go along with mental toughness. Abbrederis is going to be a steal mark my words.

The only thing abby and jordy have in common is their skin color.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only.
They both are good players.

Answer to the title question is: DEPENDS ON FREE AGENCY. If the 2 key holes (Safety and ILB) are miraculously filled via that funny thing called FREE AGENCY, then you can take a receiver whenever really, if the value is there.

If a WR that Teddy has rated #35 overall is there when we're up on the clock round 2 at #53, he can then take him. That's true BPA.

But because Teddy forgets about free agency, he is not able to go BPA because the draft his the only way he fills holes. Or doesn't fill them, as we saw at the safety position the past 2 years.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordy Nelson 6’ 3” 217 lbs. 4.51 forty, great hands, great route runner

Jared Abbrederis 6’ 2” 190 lbs. 4.52 forty, great hands, great route runner

What exactly are the major differences between the 2, that you believe the only thing they have in common is the color of their skin? Just curious as to your thoughts when as best as I can tell, they are nearly clones of each other.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What exactly are the major differences between the 2, that you believe the only thing they have in common is the color of their skin? Just curious as to your thoughts when as best as I can tell, they are nearly clones of each other.

30 pounds and how they are used. Nelson plays faster than his 40. I would say Brian Hartline is a much better comparison

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
30 pounds and how they are used. Nelson plays faster than his 40. I would say Brian Hartline is a much better comparison

I am pretty sure Nelson was not 217 when he entered the league either, by the time Abby takes his first snap in the NFL, he will 205 easily. Pro players almost always bulk up. How they are used has nothing to do with whether their skill sets match up. That is all about coaching staff.

I am not saying the two are exactly alike, but I do believe with the right coaching and team, Abby could be nearly identical to Jordy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Nelson was not 217 when he entered the league either, by the time Abby takes his first snap in the NFL, he will 205 easily. Pro players almost always bulk up. How they are used has nothing to do with whether their skill sets match up. That is all about coaching staff.

I am not saying the two are exactly alike, but I do believe with the right coaching and team, Abby could be nearly identical to Jordy.

217 is what he weighed when he was drafted.

I guess well see. Mark this as a revisit post and someone can gloat down the road.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Boykin being #3 and Jordy and Cobb being 1 and 2 is that Cobb is a natural slot guy and so is Boykin. Boykin doesn't have the speed to play the outside and I personally don't think Cobb has the size. I know he could play the outside and still be a great player, but that takes away a lot of his standout skills. I'd rather draft a guy in the middle rounds to replace jones on the outside. Then Cobb can become more of a hybrid between slot and wideout and Boykin can share slot snaps with the new guy sharing outside snaps. The last thing I want to see though is Boykin working the outside of the field. He's way too easy to keep up with. Cobb can still be an occasional deep threat because of his speed, footwork and leaping ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And by the way, you guys should check out that receiver from Missouri. He could be a hell of a player but his stat line was messed with because of his teams run first playbook. I don't know how you spell his first name; it's like L'Damian Washington or something. We could probably grab him in the 6th and might have a steal on our hands. Sound familiar? (James Jones, Donald Driver)

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh really now? Do you consider both good players? Wasn't Abbrederris a former walk-on as well? Both guys torched pretty corners...Jordy got Talib and Abby got Roby? Both are pretty good route runners, both have great hands, both are good after the catch, and you're right..both are white.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh really now? Do you consider both good players? Wasn't Abbrederris a former walk-on as well? Both guys torched pretty corners...Jordy got Talib and Abby got Roby? Both are pretty good route runners, both have great hands, both are good after the catch, and you're right..both are white.

If you want to get drafted you better be all of those things in college. Santana moss was a walk on too.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Boykin being #3 and Jordy and Cobb being 1 and 2 is that Cobb is a natural slot guy and so is Boykin. Boykin doesn't have the speed to play the outside and I personally don't think Cobb has the size. I know he could play the outside and still be a great player, but that takes away a lot of his standout skills. I'd rather draft a guy in the middle rounds to replace jones on the outside. Then Cobb can become more of a hybrid between slot and wideout and Boykin can share slot snaps with the new guy sharing outside snaps. The last thing I want to see though is Boykin working the outside of the field. He's way too easy to keep up with. Cobb can still be an occasional deep threat because of his speed, footwork and leaping ability.

Imo, I felt Boykin did quite well and held his own on the outside this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Boykin is not a slot receiver. He only ran 25 of his 410 routes out of the slot position and wasn't effective, catching only one ball for nine yards.

The guy who replaced Cobb in the slot while he was out was Nelson.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my mock, I proposed trading back and getting an extra 3rd to use on a WR. I think WR is one position we should always have a stocked shelf for. I don't think we will bring back Jones - we can't afford too much $ at WR. With 2 great WRs (Cobb and Nelson) and one very good one (Boykin) getting another one we can develop and have for spot duty is a wise idea. I'm not sure about Harper. I mocked him for us last year, but being cut by Seattle and 49ers so quickly is definitely a red flag that something isn't right. Perhaps that will shake him up to buckle down and work. I suppose it is better than being cut by 2 horrible teams like Minny and Raiders.

Therefore, I would support going WR as early as the 2nd if a really good one is there. I think we need more help at DT , S, and LBs; but you just have to take what the draft gives you.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer a tight end to another receiver. I think Cobb and Nelson get extensions and Boykins develops into a #3. A starting caliber tight end can open the middle of the field and be red zone threat. Since it seems like Finley is done (either with his career or time with the Packers), the Packers need a tight end.

I disagree. I think a solid #WR is more important than a tight end in this offense. We have one elite outside receiver and an elite slot receiver, but if Jones leaves we will desperately need a second guy on the outside. Cobb can work the middle of the field and Boykin might do that as well #4 receiver. But we don't have a 2nd guy for the outside. I would actually consider spending a first or second rounder on a WR, even with all the defensive needs, if one of the top receivers is still on the board and happens to be the best player available.

I would be ok with Quarless or a similar guy as tight end. Lacy would benefit from a solid blocker at the tight end, and as long as this guy makes an occasional catch, we will be fine. I believe that we can find a TE that can contribute in the middle or later rounds.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Jordy earns his money on the outside, while Abby will probably do his best work in the slot. Jordy also has a bit more power in his game, Abby has a bit more wiggle.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. I think a solid #WR is more important than a tight end in this offense. We have one elite outside receiver and an elite slot receiver, but if Jones leaves we will desperately need a second guy on the outside. Cobb can work the middle of the field and Boykin might do that as well #4 receiver. But we don't have a 2nd guy for the outside. I would actually consider spending a first or second rounder on a WR, even with all the defensive needs, if one of the top receivers is still on the board and happens to be the best player available.

I would be ok with Quarless or a similar guy as tight end. Lacy would benefit from a solid blocker at the tight end, and as long as this guy makes an occasional catch, we will be fine. I believe that we can find a TE that can contribute in the middle or later rounds.

I'll agree with you one thing, I'm perfectly OK drafting an offensive player in the first round if he'll make the offense better from Day 1. The Packers have been abysmal at drafting defensive impact players. TT has shown a real skill for drafting quality offensive players.

I just think that Nelson is the clear #1 WR and outside threat. Cobb can work the slot better than almost any WR in the NFL, but he could also play anywhere on the field. Boykin has shown the ability to play the same position as James Jones.

The Packers struggled in the red zone with Finely out. This is the same way the Pats struggled in the red zone without Gronk. What killed the Packers in the playoffs was settling for field goals instead of touchdowns. I think at this point TE is bigger need than WR.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why I said slot, I guess what I mean is that Boykin is more of a middle of the field, catch in traffic kind of guy just like Cobb. We need another tall deep threat like Nelson. Not that Nelson can't do everything else too.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think wr is deep enough this year that TT won't take one in the 1st. like a couple of you guys i wouldn't be upset if we took one in the 1st either especially if JJ leaves.. but the need to get better on defense can't be ignored. TT needs to find an impact player there this year seriously. I like Abby early in the third and think he can be a productive player in this offense and with Aaron Rodgers at qb. He's capable of playing on the outside with his length. While not as big as Jordy he can put on weight in the offseason. Great route runners who have FOOTBALL speed don't need to run a 4.4 fourty yd dash. If you watched Jordy run he looks like a guy who ran in the low 4.4's but he doesn't, he just simply plays faster then his 40 time.

Members online

Latest posts