How does Ted Thompson compare to Ron Wolf?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 years ago this would have been sacrilegious and still might be to some people, but I saw this question asked and was wondering what you guys thought?

Is he better?

As good?

Not in the same league?

Some younger fans might be surprised at the high reguard Wolf was held in GB, and still is.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Wolf is

He changed the entire culture

So many years of losing till he came into town

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man that is so tough to call right now. Same amount of years to win a Super Bowl am I right? I'm going with Ted in the tiebreaker for this year alone will go down in history of one of the most remarkable seasons by a SB winner.

Check out Ted's Wiki page under 2010..

Did anyone listen to the postgame show on WTMJ? They were talking about Wolf being there, and being so happy for Ted. I wish I could remember what was said, but I believe they said he was tearin up..

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf turned it all around, TT is standing on his shoulders. That isn't to say TT isn't a great GM, I think it is hard to argue any different at this point.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually they took over practically identical situations.

GB was in the toilet when Wolf took over.

GB was about to be in the toilet and salary cap hell when TT took over.

Wolf traded for his franchise QB.

TT drafted his franchise QB.

RW was in his 5th season when GB won the Super Bowl.

TT was in his 6th season when GB won the Super Bowl.

When the Packers won SB 31 only LeRoy Butler, Ken Ruettgers (injured) and Chris Jacke were on the team before Wolf took over.

When the Packers won SB 45 only Scott Wells, Cullen Jenkins, Chad Clifton, and Donald Driver were on the team when TT took over. Mark Tauscher and Nick Barnett were both on IR.

Both hired QB gurus.

RW probably had a bit of a tougher time due to the way the NFL was changing with the advent of free agency.

TT has built the team for more long term success.

Don't forget the Sherman regime really handcuffed this team. He was OK as a Head Coach but he was downright terrible as a GM and gave huge contracts to far too many over the hill players, and contracts like those he gave to Wahle and Rivera were what put the team in cap hell to begin with.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that I think about it a little more- I think TT did have a tougher job.

When Wolf took over GB was HOPEFUL for a winner.

When TT took over GB EXPECTED a winner. Big difference. He also was one of thefew people who had the guts to do what he did with Favre. Wolf never had to do anything like that, few have. If Favre had come back I'm pretty certain the Packers would not have a 4th Lombardi trophy.

Members online

Latest posts