How do y'all pronounce Favre's name?

cowboyuptx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has always bugged me!

How in the heck does F-A-V-R-E,

get pronounced as if it were spelled F-A-R-V-E ? :?: ? That doesn't make sense!!

I think it should be pronounced more like Ben Stiller did in "Something About Mary".......

How do you the natives pronounce Brett's last name?

Has this ever bugged any of y'all?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

get pronounced as if it were spelled F-A-R-V-E ? :?: ? That doesn't make sense!!

I think it should be pronounced more like Ben Stiller did in "Something About Mary".......

It's also strange that FAVRE is from Kiln, Mississippi and that's pronounced KEEN. Weird, huh?

One more thing - I knew many people in the south used the term "y'all"; however, I never dreamed that they would type it in a post...interesting.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
it's French. like the word hors d'oeuvre, or louvre. he's from Cajun country.

louvre is actually pronounced like "loov"

Cajun French is not exactly like real French.

Favre's last name pronunciation is Americanized. It's just what happens sometimes.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
it's French. like the word hors d'oeuvre, or louvre. he's from Cajun country.

louvre is actually pronounced like "loov"

Cajun French is not exactly like real French.

Favre's last name pronunciation is Americanized. It's just what happens sometimes.

it's pronounced "loo-erve", i assure you! lol. Favre would be pronounced "Fahv" in French. i know. you have to pronounce everything as if your tongue were swollen. haha

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the first time Favre played at USM as a freshman. You heard everything from from "Fav-ruh" to "Fav-ree" to "Fav-ray". Basically they just said "Brett" or "Number 4." He had to beat Alabama before the announcers started getting the name right;)

Anyway, te name is as uncommon down here in MS as it is to the rest of the world...it's definitely a Cajun thing. And Kiln? People who live 5 miles from the place still pronunce it as if it were something you'd put pottery in.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that Brett is from Mississippi. Not much more needs to be said about that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
Let's not forget that Brett is from Mississippi. Not much more needs to be said about that.
LOL! (I always wondered what happened to "Mr. Isippi!)
When Atlanta drafted him, the announcer said "Brett Fave-er" I believe.

Look at how screwey the english language is!
Live or live.
Live, as in "Live long and prosper"
Or live as in "Live television".
BOTH spelled EXACTLY the same, different meanings and pronounciation. The ONLY way you know which, is in the sentence it's used in.
I think it was "Gallegher" that had a schtick he did on our language. Like BOMB is bom, TOMB is toom........if TOMB is toom, shouldn't BOMB be BOOM? Meaning the bomb already went off??? :lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I prounce it

Hall of Famer