Hey, Steelers fans...

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard of its' history before, but I've never really heard input from actual Steelers fans.

What is the Terrible Towel, and what does it mean to you? What is its history, its traditions, and how did it become a part of Steeler Nation? Not flaming here, just being curious.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
also wikipedia. wikipedia has the answers to almost everything u wanna know and that site is now moderated for quality control (you have to have legit sources)

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the words of the originator of the Terrible Towel-2 Short vids of Myron Cope.He passed away in 2005.He was a longtime Steeler Announcer beloved by all. RIP Myron

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7qTgTvbPw&feature=related]YouTube - Myron Cope-The Tale of the Terrible Towel[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xi7eA68og&feature=related]YouTube - Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towel[/ame]

Stillernation

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its now part of us for life!I will hopefully be getting a new one in a few weeks branded with all 7 Super Bowl logos!

Gymrat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the words of the originator of the Terrible Towel-2 Short vids of Myron Cope.He passed away in 2005.He was a longtime Steeler Announcer beloved by all. RIP Myron
Myron Cope was the Steeler's 12th man with his birthday being last Sunday correct?

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give you an idea of how much the towel is part of our culture:

Steeler Nation Welcomes New Arrivals - Upper St. Clair, PA Patch

http://upperstclair.patch.com/articles/steeler-nation-welcomes-new-arrivals-2#video-4656197

I'm such a fossil, I actually predate the towel. My first towel was just a white dishtowel dyed gold because they weren't in production yet. It had autographs all over it by the time I got my first "real" towel. Today I have 2 of 'em; my black one for away games that I've owned for 19 years, and my gold towel that my entire family passed around at my brother's funeral (I couldn't have his 'cuz he was buried with it).

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think what other fanbases miss when talking about the Terrible Towel is that it is not at all about a stupid little piece of terrycloth dyed yellow. Rather, its as if it is a symbol of all that has gone before.

Remember, (and GB may have a similar history-so you all may be able to relate to this better than most) the terrible towel came about in the Steelers second SB run of the 70's. It was brought about by a beloved personality that became the crystallized memory of so many big plays and exciting moments.

Then , as the 80's came about and the mills and mines closes, people scattered all across the country. Family was split, the city lost over half its population or more. But hanging on the wall, was a simple symbol of better times, when family would come together and wave that towel-when Pittsburgh was the city of champions and life was good.

For many people, that towel has traveled with them, it has gone to many a game, it has hung on walls and in the back of cars. It has become a symbol and physical marker of not just football, but now of many things in life. I have a TT in the back of my car displayed out the back window. When I look at it, I don't just think Steelers. I remember displaying that towel driving across country after our 05 SB. I remember being in Denver, wondering what people would think of it after we beat them in the AFCCG. Then, I think about the snowstorms, and my wife and I rushing to check out of the hotel to get up over the Rocky Mountains before we were stuck. When Myron Cope died, a little bit of Steelers lore died with him. That too, is added to the towel.

In the end, the towel really is nothing more or less than a symbol of the integration of the team to the town, a physical reminder of many memories (many people still have their original towels), and a link to all six past superbowls.

That is why, when people stomp on the towel, wipe their feet with it, etc., it usually does not bode well for them-not because of some "curse" but rather, because the players see and respond to the disrespect. Not of the towel, but of everything I have said here-- The Rooneys, the teams of the 70's, Myron Cope, and the millions of dislocated fans all across the country.

I know, I know, You are saying, "Come on, don't be stupid. It is ridiculous for you to tie all that up in a towel." That may be, but ask Steeler fans what they think about when they see their towel. Ask them about a memory associated with the towel. You'll see that somehow, a silly gimmick became THE symbol of Steeler lore, and Steeler nation.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think what other fanbases miss when talking about the Terrible Towel is that it is not at all about a stupid little piece of terrycloth dyed yellow. Rather, its as if it is a symbol of all that has gone before.

Remember, (and GB may have a similar history-so you all may be able to relate to this better than most) the terrible towel came about in the Steelers second SB run of the 70's. It was brought about by a beloved personality that became the crystallized memory of so many big plays and exciting moments.

Then , as the 80's came about and the mills and mines closes, people scattered all across the country. Family was split, the city lost over half its population or more. But hanging on the wall, was a simple symbol of better times, when family would come together and wave that towel-when Pittsburgh was the city of champions and life was good.

For many people, that towel has traveled with them, it has gone to many a game, it has hung on walls and in the back of cars. It has become a symbol and physical marker of not just football, but now of many things in life. I have a TT in the back of my car displayed out the back window. When I look at it, I don't just think Steelers. I remember displaying that towel driving across country after our 05 SB. I remember being in Denver, wondering what people would think of it after we beat them in the AFCCG. Then, I think about the snowstorms, and my wife and I rushing to check out of the hotel to get up over the Rocky Mountains before we were stuck. When Myron Cope died, a little bit of Steelers lore died with him. That too, is added to the towel.

In the end, the towel really is nothing more or less than a symbol of the integration of the team to the town, a physical reminder of many memories (many people still have their original towels), and a link to all six past superbowls.

That is why, when people stomp on the towel, wipe their feet with it, etc., it usually does not bode well for them-not because of some "curse" but rather, because the players see and respond to the disrespect. Not of the towel, but of everything I have said here-- The Rooneys, the teams of the 70's, Myron Cope, and the millions of dislocated fans all across the country.

I know, I know, You are saying, "Come on, don't be stupid. It is ridiculous for you to tie all that up in a towel." That may be, but ask Steeler fans what they think about when they see their towel. Ask them about a memory associated with the towel. You'll see that somehow, a silly gimmick became THE symbol of Steeler lore, and Steeler nation.

well I really like Cheese

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing nobody is going to answer, I will do it:

Towel started as fans would often cry in the stands while watching their team get crushed. At this time it was called a 'tearing towel'. Then name 'terrible towel' didn't come into use until the early 90s. Towel also came in handy as the steel workers, widely known for their "open-minded" relationships, could wave to other male fans at the stadium hoping to catch their attention - especially when there wasn't much to watch on the field. Then, a more sophisticated steeler fan emerged, finding the towels worked great to keep your crumpets or other biscuits nice and warm while watching the game. Fans would shower their neighbors with crumbs from the crumpets by shaking out their towels whenever the Steelers did something good. Eventually, crumpet sales dropped off when they realized it was british and not cool, but the shaking of the towels continued. They were actually called 'Terrigel Towels' at this time because the main maker of Crumpets was the Terrigel company. Later fans thought people were saying Terrible and that is where the name came from.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Towel started as fans would often cry in the stands while watching their team get crushed. At this time it was called a 'tearing towel'. Then name 'terrible towel' didn't come into use until the early 90s. Towel also came in handy as the steel workers, widely known for their "open-minded" relationships, could wave to other male fans at the stadium hoping to catch their attention - especially when there wasn't much to watch on the field. Then, a more sophisticated steeler fan emerged, finding the towels worked great to keep your crumpets or other biscuits nice and warm while watching the game. Fans would shower their neighbors with crumbs from the crumpets by shaking out their towels whenever the Steelers did something good. Eventually, crumpet sales dropped off when they realized it was british and not cool, but the shaking of the towels continued. They were actually called 'Terrigel Towels' at this time because the main maker of Crumpets was the Terrigel company. Later fans thought people were saying Terrible and that is where the name came from.
The more I read your posts, Amish, the more I'm glad your on our side.
Well done, sir. :drinks:
(I hope I didn't offend you with that emoticon. Just felt like it expressed the best way. Just think of it as root beer or lemonade in them mugs.)
And I gotta ask: Is your computer handmade out of wood?
How does it run?
With a wheel and hamster?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

********* man. You just made me soil myself out of laughter.

Are you happy now?

/amazing. Just amazing.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very, very good.

Actually, I love history, and the history of sport in particular. I think a sport's history defines its meaning, and its greatness, and fans honor their team and league by being knowledgeable about their history. So it bothers me when Steeler fans seem to think their team and the league started in the 1970s. Strange.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
********* man. You just made me soil myself out of laughter.

Are you happy now?

/amazing. Just amazing.

He's got some of the BEST posts EVER!!!!

I love running across them!!! :happy0005:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very, very good.

Actually, I love history, and the history of sport in particular. I think a sport's history defines its meaning, and its greatness, and fans honor their team and league by being knowledgeable about their history. So it bothers me when Steeler fans seem to think their team and the league started in the 1970s. Strange.
What th...?
You mean it didn't!?
Well knock me sideways with a snowflake on a stick with gum on it!
Gosh, I've been wrong all along.
Next thing I know, your gonna probably tell me a tall tale that the Packers have somethin like 12 championships.
And the Lombardi trophy is named after a Packers coach from like the '60's or somethin like that. Just no way that could be.
Whooo-wee! Now those would be exaggerations son.

Burgh Splat Lambert

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nice story, but I checked with Snopes and they said it isn't true!:crazy:

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I always thought it originated from Steeler fans going to pull hankies from their pockets to wipe away tears at the end of the game, only to find out they pissed themselves earlier when they saw Tom Brady running out of the tunnel. :tease:

Members online

Latest posts