Healthy Scratches and Frustrations

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
Ok, I'm wondering about the healthy scratches on the O-Line and other areas. Does anyone know why Breno Giacomini, and Evan Dietrich-Smith were inactive? This has been two games in a row with no explanation that I can find. The O-Line is banged up and beat down. They even activated Jamon Merideth from the practice squad, which still only leaves 3 backups...

Quinn Johnson, Brandon Underwood, and Brad Jones were also inactive. Idc about Underwood and Jones, but maybe Johnson could help out the atrocious running game.

Other frustrations
Desmond Bishop-MM talked last week about getting Bishop involved in the linebacker rotation. This guy is a huge playmaker and needs to see more time.

Jeremy Thompson-Was picked to be the starter opposite Kampman until he missed time with a stinger. Now he doesn't see the field. What happened?

Derrick Martin-OK I have no problem with this guy yet, but I am disappointed that we let go Anthony Smith who had a good enough preseason to challenge for the starting spot, and now we have Safety injuries. I hate when a good player like this gets traded for someone unproven. Like when John Ryan got traded for Derrick Frost...Smart move

Recievers-The pack have arguably the best receiving corps in the entire league, so what's the problem?
-Passes are getting dropped (2 weeks in a row and even from hands man Donald Driver)
-Guys aren't getting Open (Granted Rodgers isn't getting enough time to throw, but even when he did, apparently there was no one open against the Bengals secondary which isn't bad necessarily but nowhere as good as the Packs practice partners.
-Jennings getting shut out -This cannot happen. So maybe they shifted a safety over to his side quite a bit. I'm sure it happens with other teams number one receivers. Other guys have got to step up and the coaches have to design some plays to get him open!!!

-Shifting the line-What did MM say at the beginning of the season? "We want to develop some continuity on the O-Line." So when Clifton gets hurt they put in Wells at center (Yes he is a consistent starter) and shift Spitz to guard and Colledge to tackle (wow this doesn't seem like any of the previous seasons of our musical O-Line). Yes these guys have played there before, but i say try out another tackle. Either put in Giacomini or Lang or trade one of the Fullbacks and maybe a draft pick for another tackle. It doesn't even have to be a great player, just someone who won't give up 5 sacks in a game!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
very good comments...but as I heard earlier today somewhere...

Tell me what left tackle is out there that is capable of starting, that a team will get rid of??

Answer is there aren't any..

OP
OP
realoatesman

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
As far as I know Levi Jones is still available. Yes he has some attitude issues, but that's what people said about Charles Woodson...
Jon Runyan-former Eagle coming off knee surgery but says he is ready to play now
Jonas Jennings-Possibly worth a shot?

Anyways I still say that you're not going to develop continuity by playing musical chairs with the O-Line again. I say give Giacomini a shot. By the sound of it he possibly would have beaten out Barbre for the starting spot in training camp if given another week. I'm not saying that makes him good, I'm just saying give the kid a shot...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
very good comments...but as I heard earlier today somewhere...

Tell me what left tackle is out there that is capable of starting, that a team will get rid of??

Answer is there aren't any..
Trade James Jones and a pick for D'Brickshaw Ferguson... They need wr badly, and were reportedly flerting with Anquand Boldin, Percy Harvin, Crabtree...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I would like to see TT make a bold move like that. I can see trading J. Nelson, Wynn, Hawk, or for that matter get a real good left tackle with a Kampman trade. I think we can afford to lose Kampman in this new defense, he is playing well, but maybe better suited in a 4-3. I would see if we could get 2 good lineman in a Hawk/kampman trade. Hawk is playing a reduced role and also maybe better suited for a 4-3. If we could get that kind of improvement on the O-line that would help the Pack more than what I've seen in the production of Hawk or Kampman in this new defense. We have better talent to replace both those players on defense than we do with lineman.

TT makes that move, he may become the GM of the year.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't this amazing? We're already talking about which current Packers players to "give a chance" to. Are you kidding me??? This is the fifth freakin' year of this Thompson O-line debacle and although it isn't going to ever end based purely upon production the past 5 years - it certainly needs to end now!!!

You people floor me, no kidding. You all love Ted and think he's a god and accept anything he does or excuse away questionable moves with the elitist mentality that has captured this nation and mentioning that a guy like Ted knows best - no further investigations necessary. Are you freakin' kidding me?????

I've argued for going on 4 years now on these blogs with people that tell me that TT knows best and if our O-line is bad, then that's the way it was meant to be. It's ridiculous and deeply saddening. I most loathe this type of argument that some dim wit always seems to post: "Uh, just tell me a particular guard or tackle available today that Green Bay could add to improve the line." These same eggheads always conveniently omit the important fact that TT's had 5 years to draft and acquire good, consistent O-lineman. They continue to give TT a pass for shoddy drafting on the O-line front. Tausch and Clifton were the last of the great Packers O-lineman, folks. TT has blown 2nd round picks on average, if inconsistent, guys like Colledge and Spitz. He's also done nothing on the FA front to get a player that is capable of playing well CONSISTENTLY.

I'm really tired of 4-5 years of lackluster O-line play. It's the MOST important aspect of a Super Bowl winner, MOST of the time - ask the Packers, Giants, Patriots...the list goes on and on.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bishop could possibly be the best out of Hawk, Matthews, and Poppinga. Just rotate him in and give someone a breather. I think he could be good for 8-10 tackles per game. He has the potential to be a monster they have to rotate him in there.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Ferguson on our line but TT's track record proves over and over again that he would never make that kind of a move. I dont really think that the jets really want to give up an O-Line since they are playing so well right now with the personnel that they have.

Members online

Latest posts